Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

General small, teardrop poops

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
hi! so soren has been having small, sometimes stuck together tear drop poops for probably a month now. when it first changed I called the vet and they told me as long as he’s eating, drinking, and pooping he should be okay. I heard it could be a blockage, which I checked him for. at the time he looked a little puffy, and sounded hollow like air was trapped. called the vet again, they said the same thing. a few days later he passes the gas, and isn’t swollen or hollow sounding anymore. but the weird poops stuck around. we looked into what could have been the cause, and cut celery and kale out of his veggie rotation. he currently is eating romaine, bell pepper, and every other day he gets carrots. he seems completely healthy and happy , but the poops still look the same. any idea what we could do to get the healthy poops to return? these are photos from when it first changed, on october 13th, but they still look just the same

Attachments

39B08C77-A026-42B9-9411-E1BD1C818ADA.jpeg 7EC7FB9D-809E-4E16-8552-194B71B5BDBD.jpeg B18D0073-F572-44D5-AB23-EB077F4B6B58.jpeg

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
hi! so soren has been having small, sometimes stuck together tear drop poops for probably a month now. when it first changed I called the vet and they told me as long as he’s eating, drinking, and pooping he should be okay. I heard it could be a blockage, which I checked him for. at the time he looked a little puffy, and sounded hollow like air was trapped. called the vet again, they said the same thing. a few days later he passes the gas, and isn’t swollen or hollow sounding anymore. but the weird poops stuck around. we looked into what could have been the cause, and cut celery and kale out of his veggie rotation. he currently is eating romaine, bell pepper, and every other day he gets carrots. he seems completely healthy and happy , but the poops still look the same. any idea what we could do to get the healthy poops to return? these are photos from when it first changed, on october 13th, but they still look just the same
after reading similar forums, it could be the lettuce? or maybe the amount. he gets 1 cup, sometimes a little more of lettuce mainly, maybe 1/9 of the cup is bell pepper. he’s a healthy weight, and I always read that 1 cup of veggies is recommended a day, but maybe i’m incorrect? how much lettuce should he be getting a day?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The cup of veggies is the right amount, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Is the poop mushy? Dry?

Do you have another guinea pig that's healthy? If so, you could give this one some poop soup.

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
The cup of veggies is the right amount, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Is the poop mushy? Dry?

Do you have another guinea pig that's healthy? If so, you could give this one some poop soup.
it feels the same as his poop used to ! solid, but able to be smushed. he’s my only piggie

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I personally would cut all veggies for at least a few days and see if the poops change. If they do then add the veggies back in one at a time, starting with bell pepper, with at least 48 hrs between each veg being re-introduced. Also look into getting him a pro-biotic, bene-bac has a gel probiotic for guinea pigs.

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
I personally would cut all veggies for at least a few days and see if the poops change. If they do then add the veggies back in one at a time, starting with bell pepper, with at least 48 hrs between each veg being re-introduced. Also look into getting him a pro-biotic, bene-bac has a gel probiotic for guinea pigs.
aw that’s gonna suck, but i’ll try anything! little dude only likes his floor time because he can eat dinner🤣

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
is there anything else that would be okay to feed him during his floor time or should I stick to a hay and pellets only diet? I have some pea flakes and bay leaves he loves, but if that could make his stomach upset too I won’t feed them to him

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does he eat the bay leaves regularly? If so, I'd cut them out also and see what happens. They do affect the GI tract, and could be contributing to whatever is going on.

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
Does he eat the bay leaves regularly? If so, I'd cut them out also and see what happens. They do affect the GI tract, and could be contributing to whatever is going on.
he doesn’t. maybe one every few days

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
it’s been two nights without veggies and the poops still look the same. how long should I continue to withhold veggies? and is there anything else I should try or just get him to the vet if nothing changes?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
If it doesn't firm up in the next day or two without veggies its fairly safe to say the veggies aren't contributing to the problem. In that case I would take him to a good exotic vet, ideally find one that has a lot of guinea pig experience. It could be something like parasites, an overgrowth of a certain kind of bacteria, or a yeast/fungus problem.

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
If it doesn't firm up in the next day or two without veggies its fairly safe to say the veggies aren't contributing to the problem. In that case I would take him to a good exotic vet, ideally find one that has a lot of guinea pig experience. It could be something like parasites, an overgrowth of a certain kind of bacteria, or a yeast/fungus problem.
okay, he has a nice vet! the poops are pretty firm, just wrongly shaped. we bought a new type of pellet two weeks before the poop photos were taken, should I try cutting pellets out if the veggies don’t help anything?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, don't cut out the pellets. Does he drink enough? You might try syringing him a couple of times a day, 5-10 ml. if he'll take it. You can flavor the water with a bit of some fruit juice that he likes, or get some Pedialyte and dilute it.

sorensmom

Cavy Slave
No, don't cut out the pellets. Does he drink enough? You might try syringing him a couple of times a day, 5-10 ml. if he'll take it. You can flavor the water with a bit of some fruit juice that he likes, or get some Pedialyte and dilute it.
I think he drinks enough. he drinks a good amount of water. he does look a tiny bit skinnier than normal, so it’s sounding like the parasite. any idea how he could have gotten one? trying to make a vet appointment