Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Should i get a desexed boy or girl? help with my next pig!

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone, I am looking to adopt another guinea pig, and am a little bit stuck.
My oldest girl passed away a few months ago, and I'm ready to get another. My second oldest is getting really old, and I'm scared she will go soon and my little girl will get lonely and depressed by herself. I think the two I have now were ok because they had each other. They are both girls.
I'm not sure whether to get another girl, or whether a de-sexed boy (the rspca seem to have them often)would be ok to live with my girls and be a companion for my little one.
if any one has any advice, I would appreciate it so much!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Generally neutered boy and girl pair (or boy and multiple girls) do really well. You'll have to make sure the male is really de-sexed. Some shelters here will list all their animals as de-sexed, but most of the guinea pigs are not de-sexed. It's not a general practice to de-sex them before adopting them out like dogs or cats.

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
so you think a de-sexed boy would be best? strange, I always just assumed that girls would be better friends!

KaLeigh

Cavy Slave
Are desexed boys more maintenance than females? (don't want to hijack thread, just wondering)

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No @KaLeigh they are not.

My daughter has 2 neutered boys, each living with their "wife." Its really sweet interaction and no troubles, no issues and it has been wonderful for almost 3 years if not 3 already. She said today she found one of the couples "kissing" behind the pigloo!! Each couple lives in their own cages of course.
I think its easier to intro a neutered male with a female than a female with a female. Or if you find a baby female. Older pigs seem to accept a baby easier also.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Desexed boys do still need boar cleanings, so they are more maintenance in that sense.

Guineagirl_7

Cavy Slave
thanks! I will let the shelter know that I would be happy to take a girl or neutered boy :)
also, what is boar cleaning? how do you do it?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Males need their anal sacs and private parts cleaned regularly to prevent impactions and other issues. There's a ton more information about it (and a stickied video showing how to do it) on this forum

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.