Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Screaming Guinea Pig- PLEASE HELP!!!!

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Again, as I posted above, pregnancy can happen in seconds. You could sneeze and miss it.

And it is very stressful for guinea pigs to be put together only to be taken apart. I hate to be blunt, but if they're not living together, why bother introducing them?

It sounded like you were breeding. But even if you are not intending to, putting the males and females together on your bed has a high risk of your pigs getting pregnant. It is a pregnancy that can be prevented.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
K. I won't put them together. Thanks.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
I know some people on this forum can come off as abrasive, but they really are just trying to give you some solid advice and trying to help you understand the consequences of some of the things you stated in your post. They mean well, even if the delivery seems harsh sometimes. Their goal is to help you keep your piggies as healthy and happy as possible.
Anyway, I hope you do follow the completely solid advice you've gotten here, such as getting them the bigger cage, and following the feeding instructions. Welcome to the forum, and I hope your boy lets you get some sleep soon. :)
Have a wonderful day, and good luck.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
Thanks so much. I am going to try these suggestions, and already spoke to my Mom about it. Thank you.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
That's awesome, and as always, if you have any questions, we can help you here.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How much does your "obese" pig weigh? Most vets make their weight recommendations based on text book recommendations which come from lab animals, not pets. A little extra weight is a good thing for a pig, because when they get sick, they go downhill so quickly. A little extra weight as a nutritional cushion can mean the difference between life and death.

All of my sows have weighed over three pounds until their senior years, and I wouldn't have put them on a diet for anything. My own vet recommends that as a good weight for them, given the bone structure of the pigs. Besides, guinea pigs come in all sizes, just like people do, and what's obese for one pig may be skinny for another.

Here's a good way to determine if your pig is actually overweight:

From veterinarian Sandra Mitchell: The easiest way to tell the status of your pigs’ fat stores is to regularly run your hands down the entire length of the body, starting right behind the ears. In a well proportioned pig, you will be able to feel both the ribs and the backbone going “bump-bump-bump” under your fingers. These bumps should not be sharp or obvious, but palpable. If you are unable to feel those bumps – the fat stores are too thick and your pig is too chubby. If the bumps are very noticeable, then your pig may be too skinny.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
That's fantastic advice, and actually I was looking for advice like that for my own pigs. Thanks for sharing, bpatters!

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
Thank you. I'm unsure of the exact weight of my pig, but she is pretty big ... compared to the others I mean. I just hope I'm not doing anything wrong with feeding her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Buy yourself a kitchen scale that weighs up to five pounds in both ounces and grams. They're available for less than $15.

It's the best investment you can make in your guinea pigs' health, as weight loss is often the first symptom of illness. You need to weigh your pigs at least once a week and record their weights so you'll know whether they're going up or down, and by how much.

And if your big pig's bone structure is larger than the others, I wouldn't waste a minute worrying about her being overweight. If her bone structure is the same size as the others, and she's fat and squishy all over, then yes, maybe she is overweight.

It's actually VERY hard for a herbivore to become overweight. Unless the pig has some mobility problem that keeps it from moving normally, about the only way it happens is if too many pellets or sugary treats are fed. Pellets should be plain timothy (or alfalfa for young pups) with no seeds or colored bits. Store-bought treats with sugar should never be given, and fruit should be only an occasional treat.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I will probably get a kitchen scale. Are they available at Walmart?

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
Speaking as someone who works at walmart, YES they will have them. :)
Look for kitchen scales in the housewares section, like where you'd find mixing bowls and measuring cups and such.
I'm not saying this because I think you're stupid, I'm saying it because I myself didn't think to look there for a while.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
Thanks I will look there very soon the next time I go.

SpecialK59

Cavy Slave
Don't forget the carrots. Carrots are to a ging ging what pizza is to a human. I like to call them ging gings

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Don't forget the carrots. Carrots are to a ging ging what pizza is to a human. I like to call them ging gings
My girls don't particularly like carrots, they do love yellow pepper and broccoli stem (they always leave the top bit lol)

pinky

Cavy Slave

Don't feed more than a baby carrot per day. They're high in sugar.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to chime in and repeat what was mentioned earlier.... people on this site are very anti-breeding and that can seem harsh to a newbie. I've noticed so many get offended and honestly when I was new I wondered why they got so adamant (sometimes ugly) about it, but I researched it myself outside the forum and was shocked at how dangerous it is and how often it's done anyways. I would never have considered being a breeder but my daughter asked about having a GPig family one day and I innocently thought about how cute they would be kind of wanted to have a family too. That's when I remembered how I had seen comments on here about it being wrong and began to read up. So even when they say not to even let them be together a minute, it's so true! It's not worth it! I just wanted to mention that because it's really just that people on here care about GPigs so much, myself included. I'm glad I noticed the comments before ever seriously considering letting one get pregnant! Now I'm hardcore anti-breeding too!

Capricex

Cavy Slave
No... I never meant that I put them together in the same CAGE, I mean on my bed with things surrounding the bed so they wouldn't fall off, with me sitting on the bed playing with them and making sure the guys aren't trying to do anything with the girls. If I'm on this site asking why is my guinea pig screaming and that I need help, do you think I'd have the first clue as to how to even breed them? I'm not entirely stupid, I just want all of them to get along and meet each other.

I just want to jump in here and take the opportunity to say that I think we need to as a group and post a main disclaimer that should be about people's way of reaction on this forum and posters posting all details of the question when posting. I know everyone on here has the best intentions and that pig's health does take a quick and critical turn in response to people's questions. Time is often critical and response on here is urgent at times. But we need to stop jumping to conclusions on here and judging people's life right out of the gate. I've had to answer a lot of people in private on this forum and other guinea pig forums because fellow pig lovers go up in arms over any little comment. Majority of people on here are simply looking for help and are not abusers. In anything in life too much of one thing, or a closed mindset isn't a good thing. We have to step outside the box so to speak take all the information in, and then assist people who post on pig forums.
From all the posts I've read on here we have a very caring group of people who love these cute little guys. But simply put, we need to chill out a bit because it's very off putting to get people back here to make sure that they are doing the right things. Imagine coming to a forum for help for the first time and immediately your no good or an abuser. Why would one want to deal with or come back here? Or let's even go a step further where someone who's about to give a pig up or quit on one faces quick judgement and then it results on giving up on the pig as it looks like ownership isn't worth it. This isn't aimed at anyone person, but if I'm being honest it's a bit over the top at times.

VellaBella

Cavy Slave
I just want to jump in here and take the opportunity to say that I think we need to as a group and post a main disclaimer that should be about people's way of reaction on this forum and posters posting all details of the question when posting. I know everyone on here has the best intentions and that pig's health does take a quick and critical turn in response to people's questions. Time is often critical and response on here is urgent at times. But we need to stop jumping to conclusions on here and judging people's life right out of the gate. I've had to answer a lot of people in private on this forum and other guinea pig forums because fellow pig lovers go up in arms over any little comment. Majority of people on here are simply looking for help and are not abusers. In anything in life too much of one thing, or a closed mindset isn't a good thing. We have to step outside the box so to speak take all the information in, and then assist people who post on pig forums.
From all the posts I've read on here we have a very caring group of people who love these cute little guys. But simply put, we need to chill out a bit because it's very off putting to get people back here to make sure that they are doing the right things. Imagine coming to a forum for help for the first time and immediately your no good or an abuser. Why would one want to deal with or come back here? Or let's even go a step further where someone who's about to give a pig up or quit on one faces quick judgement and then it results on giving up on the pig as it looks like ownership isn't worth it. This isn't aimed at anyone person, but if I'm being honest it's a bit over the top at times.

Actually, once you become a Cavy Slave (the next level, which you reach at a month or 100 posts i believe), when you enter a post on the introduction forums it posts a reminder to be gentle and not to jump on people... I think some people have forgotten about it... I have several times almost quoted it to remind some people that they need to not jump on top of people because they're going to feel attacked rather than encouraged to do the right thing. I didn't want to sound snarky or impertinent, as I have high anxiety when confronting people.
But as I say, there IS a reminder right there in the introduction forums, but I think many people get so worried about the guinea pigs they simply forget and want to save the world. I get it, I know the feeling, but I do think that some need to remember that rather than helping they will more than likely put someone on their guard to the point where they will either argue and get defensive or simply leave the forum altogether.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
This is exactly what happened to me and I told my Mom about it and she told me that if it continues to quit, so I will if it does.

HailTheH21

Cavy Gazer
I'd just like to say as the thread starter that when all of these different people kept commenting I was grateful, but when I got accused of something that me being a 16 year old would get confused about (breeding) really set me off. I don't understand why that would be the first conclusion you jump to when I asked why one of my pigs is screaming. Not to mention that it is 5:07 a.m and I am up for the SECOND time because my pig woke me up. I don't need a super solution but this can't continue on school nights because I'm less focused in school. Is there anymore ideas when he is full blown screaming at me? I'm getting sick and tired of it. I love them to pieces but it's really hard at this time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.