Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Question's from a newbie!

Kel0123

Cavy Slave
Yes, I realize there is nothing more annoying then having to answer the same old newbie questions all the time, but I promise you I have read up on these wonderful animals!

A girl my husband works withs piggy had surprise babys and Our children were really excited about them. We have decided to take in 2. Not sure yet if it will be 2 males or 2 females. I just built them a C&C cage. It's 2x4 with a 1x2 loft. The loft is going to be the 'kitchen' with carefresh bedding and the bottom will be fleece.

Now that you know about our situation, here come the questions!

1. For 2 piggies, do I need to have 2 water bottles, 2 food dishes, 2 hay racks? I don't want any issues with fighting over food, I'm not sure how good these critters are at sharing.

2. Should I put the water in the 1x2 kitchen or will that be too close to the hay? I don't want mold issues and sick piggies! I guess I'm alittle worried about crowding the loft with too much stuff if they need 2 of everything, but I would like to keep the majority of the pottys in the bedding and off the fleece. (yes I know they will still go on the fleece no matter what.)

3. I made a ramp out of extra grids, it's a sort of 'L' shape. I have some old carpet peices to use and I've seen pictures of other ramps with carpet, I however am concerned that the cavies will eat the carpet and get sick. I had a friend whose rabbit at a whole in her carpet while she was cleaning its cage causing it to get sick and die. So I'm sure you can see my concern!

A side from a weekend with a Guinea pig in second grade when it was my turn to take home the class, I have zero experience. I feel like I have read pages upon pages of info and my head is spinning, So for all you well educated piggy parents, What is something you have learned from experience that you never knew before owning your cavies? Any tips tricks or stories would be great! The more I know, the more confident I am!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Hello, I'm a newbie as well but I can at least tell you what my setup is and how it is working so far -

I have 2 piggies (1 is about 4 months the other is about 3 months old) in a 2 X 4 C&C cage with no loft (YET;)), 1 water bottle, 1 pellet bowl, 1 veggie bowl, 1 hay dispenser made from extra coroplast and keep a box cut shallow that I keep more hay in, a fleece forest (which they LOVE), a hammock, 1 chew tube tunnel, 2 PVC pipe tunnels, and two hiddie houses.

They haven't fought over anything yet, but mine are still young so perhaps as they mature things may change. I've seen many pictures of cage setups and some have 2 of everything and some only have one of everything. It may just be personal preference or people just adjust to what they see that their piggies need.

1. Make sure that your bringing home either 2 boys or 2 girls - check, double check and check again. In fact, depending on their age or if the owner has separated them early, you may come home with a expecting female.

2. I think which sex is a matter of preferance. We have 2 girls who once they turned "of age", began getting PMS. And yet I understand that males get boar grease.

3. I have the same size cage as you and there's only one water bottle at bottom level. The grils share hay rack, pellet dish and veggies. They do have their own hiddy huts but share tunnels and toys.

4. As far as the carpet goes, I do the same thing and they don't chew on it. They may have nibbled to see what it was but never chewed. Also, I bought carpet scraps and cut them to the size of the ramp. They are changed out about every 2 weeks and hosed down and dried.

5. Kitchen area is great but I'm noticing now that the girls are over a year old, it's getting kind of small. When the girls go up to eat, I swear I can hear them say "pardon me, excuse me or just get out of my way". Time to upgrade. lol

What have I learned? OMG your so much farther than I was. I bought the 2 pet store cages $140.00. And then got online to see what I was suppose to do instead.

Bedding - Fleece sown to a huge Walmart bathtowel. Childrens mattress protectors - A 10" section for each end of the cage (it's changed out daily). Fresh Veggies - Remember the price will change throughout the seasons - I almost had a stroke when I paid 1.19 each for peppers that were smaller than a baseball.

Lastly, GPs are all different and they change their ideas of what they like, like kids do. Our Tasha and Carly used to be very neet little girls, not anymore. But that's alright cause they're so sweet.

-For 2 boys I had exactly the same cage setup, 2x4 with a 1x2 kitchen loft with loose bedding, and an L-shaped ramp. It works out perfectly, but I found it a little small for the boys, they would bicker a lot over the space.

-When I had 2 boys, I had 2 water bottles, 1 dish, 1 hay rack. I think double water bottles is a good idea because unlike the food dish, only 1 pig at a time can drink form a bottle.

-I put the water bottles on the lower level of mine just because mine leak and the fleece can wick away the water, whereas the bedding in my 1x2 loft would

-The carpet should be fine, just test out your piggies first with it. They will probably give it a test to see if it's tasty, and then whether they decide if it is tasty enough to eat is up to them to decide. Just make sure that you watch them for the first day with it to make sure they aren't eating it.

-Important thing that I have learned as a Cavy owner is to stay up to date on medical information. Don't hesitate to bring them to the vet when things start looking odd. They do go downhill VERY fast, and it's not fun to find out it's too late for the vet to help.
Another thing, you need to pick them up and spend time with them often. I skipped the whole "Lap time" routine many users talk about on here, and Stanley will NOT let me near him if he knows I'm trying to pick him up. He's a year old, and not "hand-tamed" at all. He will wiggle and wiggle and bite and run, I'm actually scared of him falling off the examination table at the vet later today. So the more they get used to you, the better.

I wish you the best of luck! :)

Thank you everyone for the advice! I have a bathroom mat I'm going to try to use for the ramp, I think since the edges are finished it will make me feel alittle better. The baby gp's are only 6 days old, so I have no idea what the count on boys and girls are, I just know there are 5 of them and they are super duper cute. We are going to name them Uno and Dos :)

You can use fleece for your ramp. That's what I always used when I used to have lofts for the pigs. (That was also the only type of material they would feel comfortable going up)

I would personally get two water bottles, and put one up in the loft and one downstairs. If you have a no-leak water bottle (that actually works), it shouldn't cause any mold as long as you are cleaning it out daily.

One bowl is usually fine, as long as they are not fighting. The more hay racks the better, but one is suitable. (Personally, I no longer prefer hay racks, as one day three of my five pigs decided to poke the same eye while standing up for hay.)

Brindyzoeycandy- What did you put under the fleece on the ramp? coro? I'm not sure that I have enough left over. My back wall is 13in high to keep yuckys off the wall so that used up alot of it. Any other suggestions? I was thinking cardboard, but it seems like it would get sticky and ruined.

I would really recommend that instead of making a loft, you add on to the lenth or width of the cage. A loft takes up space with the ramp and also doesn't add any space to the overall square footage. If possible, you can take down the loft and ramp and add to the single-level cage. I find that lofts are hard to clean and that guinea pigs (as prey animals) prefer to be as low to the ground as possible anyway.

Both genders have their tradeoffs and positives. The personality of the guinea pig varies, too. No one gender is more cuddly or active or better with kids. Whichever gender you decide to go with, make sure you verify the gender by sexing the pigs.

You really don't need to have two of everything. It certainly helps with limiting arguments, but isn't completely necessary. For my two pigs, I have two food bowls, four hideys/tunnels/other cage accessories, one water bottle, and one big hay pile. Guinea pigs really love to burrow, sleep, and hide in a big pile of hay. A hay rack does keep things neater, but to me that happiness of my guinea pigs is more important. You can choose what you want, but that's my experience.

For bedding, I use fleece liners consisting of a layer of anti-pill or blizzard fleece, then two layers of UHaul blanket. Learn more about this setup here. They work really well! I love them.

For hay and pellets, Oxbow or Kleenmama's are great options. Until these guinea pigs are 6 months old, you should feed plenty of timothy hay, supplemental amounts of alfalfa (a few handfuls daily), and alfalfa based pellets (about a 1/4 cup daily). You can feed (broken link removed), (broken link removed), and (broken link removed). Alternately (and the best option overall), (broken link removed) or (broken link removed), (broken link removed), and (broken link removed) pellets daily. The prices are a little higher at first (especially shipping), but overall you will be saving SO much money.

Vegetables are also important. Check out the sample menus and veggie charts for more information.

Guinea Lynx is one of the best resources for information on guinea pig care. Check it out!

Good luck with your piggies!

Hi! I am also somewhat new to this, but feel like a pro now lol, As was said above. I do strongly recommend keeping it one level. It does give them more room to run and jump and play. I originally built my C&C cage with a 2x1 kitchen loft and to be honest with you, it truly just stressed my girls out. They HATED the ramp. Did not like to leave the comfort of being on ground. and would sometimes just stand at the bottom and wheek very loudly in disappointment due to the fact that they refused to climb up there for food.
Sometimes we think we are making things more fun for them and we really aren't. You will know it when they wheek at you loudly! Another thing I found is not to overcrowd with too many huts and pigloos and tunnels and such. It don't leave room for them to run. I find it better to have a variety of things and switch them up each day. Today I found a long skinny cardboard box that cost me nothing and it's a huge hit! Good luck with your new piggies. You have done great research! Way to go!!!

Just wanted to say that I tried a 1x2 kitchen loft a while back, and my girls did not do well with it. It seemed too small and they appeared to feel cramped and cornered when more than one was up there at a time. But then again, if you are starting out with that set up with babies, maybe they'll be fine with it.

I have two water bottles, one hayrack, one bowl for veggies, one bowl for pellets, and 3-4 hidey places in there (a fleece forest, a Fiddlesticks made into a hidey tunnel, and usually a couple of fleece cozy sacks) for three piggies.

Don't forget to babyproof the cage before you bring them home!!

Baby GPs are sooo cute!! I'm excited for you!
I have to admit that I too am pretty knew at the guinea pig thing, but I did study for about 3 months before i decided to get some.

I recently just built my piggies a C&C cage with a ramp. At first they didn't even sniff at it, let alone climb on it! They weren't afraid, they just didn't care. So I put some hay in their balcony and placed one pig on the ramp near the top so that he could see something level to climb on. At first he just sat there, so I placed him in the balcony.
After he finished eating the hay I placed him back on the ramp the way he should go down it. Slowly, he started to climb down. The next step was to get the other pig! Now, they both adore their ramps! They run full speed up and down it!

Of course, not all guinea pigs like ramps, but it wouldn't hurt to try it.
As for the getting two of everything: I suggest getting at least 2 water bottles. You can put them both in the cage or you can save one in case your other one breaks or leaks. I suggest putting it on the first floor until they get used to the idea of a ramp.
So far, my pigs are ok with 1 bottle and 2 bowls (1 for pellets and the other for veggies). I have an extra of each because my piggies used to fight in their old cage, but once I upgraded to a bigger cage they were perfectly fine together.

I hope this helped! Good luck with your new baby piggies!

My two girls love the ramp and upper deck. That is where their fleece sleepings bags are. It's where they do most of the lounging around. I have a plastic tub with a piece cut out so they can get in it. This is filled with hay and pellet dish. The water bottle also hangs in there. It's on the bottom floor of the cage at one end. I have a 2 x 5. They zoom up and down the ramp so fast. I love to watch them. You will get so much enjoyment just sitting and watching them.

Hello !
I have a 6x2 C&C cage with a 2x2 hay loft with a ramp too of course ( I got the C&C cage from cavyspirit.com, this site and they provide everything needed) and my two girls absolutely love it ! They do their "zoomies" up and down the ramp and around the bottom and up again, it is SO much fun to watch them!
Up in the 2x2 hay loft, they have a hay rack, their alligator cozy that they love and sleep in ( I have a picture of them in it sleeping together, in my album for anyone that would like to see) a litter box with carefresh bedding, and piles of hay for them to burrow and play in. I change the piles of hay every day or every other day though, because they do pee and poop in it, unfortunately.

One last note: I thought of putting a water bottle up in the hay loft, but decided against it, was too worried that the hay would get moldy or whatnot. I have their water bottle downstairs in the kitchen area where I feed them their veggies twice every day.

Hi! I am also somewhat new to this, but feel like a pro now lol, As was said above. I do strongly recommend keeping it one level. It does give them more room to run and jump and play. I originally built my C&C cage with a 2x1 kitchen loft and to be honest with you, it truly just stressed my girls out. They HATED the ramp. Did not like to leave the comfort of being on ground. and would sometimes just stand at the bottom and wheek very loudly in disappointment due to the fact that they refused to climb up there for food.
Sometimes we think we are making things more fun for them and we really aren't. You will know it when they wheek at you loudly! Another thing I found is not to overcrowd with too many huts and pigloos and tunnels and such. It don't leave room for them to run. I find it better to have a variety of things and switch them up each day. Today I found a long skinny cardboard box that cost me nothing and it's a huge hit! Good luck with your new piggies. You have done great research! Way to go!!!
Hello Jodie !
I loved what you had to say about "not overcrowding your cage" ! It is so important I think, to leave them room to run ! I also just wanted to say that sometimes when they wheek loudly, it is out of excitement and joy, for my more "vocal" piggie Buttercup, when I come downstairs in the morning she "talks" to me and then does her popcorns and zoomies as if she is saying good morning mom !! It melts my heart and brings me so much joy.
Unfortunately, I haven't gotten them on a consistent feeding schedule yet, so I KNOW it isn't her "wheeking" for her breakfast. I feed them anywhere from 8am-11:00am for breakfast and then anywhere from 5:30pm-8:00pm for their dinner. Things in my household have been really rough lately, and I have been going through some tough personal stuff, but I hope very much to establish a more regular feeding schedule.

Here is a pic of the cage so far. The green fleece is just to get an idea of what it will look like, I need to go out and buy something for the cage still. I just finished securing the carpet to the ramp. It's a cheap ikea bathmat cut in half. I'm wondering if the way I did the ramp would the underside make a good hidey cave thing for them? I don't really understand how it takes away from the sqft here, but since I'm new, I'll take your word for it. I was thinking about getting 2 pigloos to put under the loft and 1 or 2 pvc pipe tunnels. Is that okay to still give them there floor space?

I was just wondering, are you getting 2 girls or 2 boys ?

My very 1st cage had a loft which was the kitchen & I hated it! The guinea pigs would always be under the loft & it was very difficult to clean under there. So I took it down & now this way I can move thier hideys around so they are consitantly peeing in 1 place. I have 3 boys in a 2x5 & I had only 1 of everything for them & it was fine. I did add a 2nd water bottle though, not b/c they would fight, but b/c I felt bad that one would be wiating behind the other one to finish so he could have a turn (they all seem to want to drink at the same time). So now I have 2 water bottles & 1 of everything else. Also, someone else mentioned, but make sure you babyproof the cage! I originally had cardboard inside my grids & the piggies chewed through it & got out! So I would suggest cardboard on the outside of the grids or coroplast or even sheets.

I was just wondering, are you getting 2 girls or 2 boys ?

We are not sure yet. They were just born Thursday night so they are only 7 days old. Another girl from my husbands work is getting 2 of the 5 pups as well and she has first dibs. So whoever is left is who we get. I don't really mind either way, I have heard both positives and negatives from both genders. I have my eye on 2 of them because of the markings, I hope they are both the same sex, but as of now, its too hard to tell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.