Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Questions from a future adopter

sil3nt

Cavy Slave
I want to get a guinea pig or 2 in the Summer after I move out of my "no pets" apartment. I used to have a guinea pig a long time ago. 2 actually, 1 got sick and passed away and I got a second one not long after and he lived longer. But after checking out this site I was doing a lot wrong...

I'm not sure whether to get 1 or 2 pigs. I figure with 2 they can keep each other company when I'm not at home. I don't want babies so getting the same sex would be good. Either particular sex work better together?

I found some of that grid stuff around the house that everyone here uses for cages. But I only had enough for a 2x3 sized cage. Would that be enough for 2 pigs?

Buying from a pet store seems to be a bad idea from what I've read. But I have no idea where an animal shelter would be in my area...

I'll definitely keep looking around here for more info.

No one can help? :sad:

A 2x3 C&C is big enough for one guinea pig. Two guinea pigs would keep each other company but try to get them from the same shelter so you know if they get along or not. You can search on Petfinder for local shelters.

I've decided on 2 females on the advice of someone else. I'll try to get more of the grid stuff for a larger cage. Any suggestions on size for 2 pigs? I'll check out petfinder to see what I can find in my area when I want to get them.

A 2 x 4 grid cage is a good size.They have all this information on the main Cavyspirit page.

It's not fair to keep them alone. Either get two or don't get any. Both sexes get along fine, but males need a bit more room.

Two pigs should ideally have at least a 2x4 (for some males a 2x5 is better). You have plenty of time to find grids. You can often get them cheaply or for free on Craigslist or garage sales. You can also try Ebay or ordering from other sites online. Or try stores like Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. It's important that your pigs have space to run around even if that means you have to buy another set of grids.

Can you post your location so we can help you find pigs to adopt?

As I said, I will be getting 2 females. So they won't be alone.

Can you post your location so we can help you find pigs to adopt?
San Antonio, TX area. If you can find places to adopt that would be great. All I could ever find was dog and cat places. I found a few on petfinder, so that will be helpful when I do adopt. I don't want the pigs just yet though, so just the places to adopt them.

When I get more grids, depending on how much room I have in my apartment, I might go bigger than 2x4 since I'll probably have extra grids and they can have a larger place to run around in.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.