Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions New pig mom have questions plz

stephybond

Cavy Slave
Hello ! I’m a new pig mom. Well I’ve had her for about 6 months now. So she’s about 9 months. Her names kiki Pearl.. so she’s very picky when eating and doesn’t seem to like veggies just lettuce and spinach. She loves hay and only some other foods. She won’t eat pellets either. What can I do ? I want her to be a veggie lover!
She still seems scared of me at times .. she runs into her house but she’ll come out when I call her.. she always wheeks when I take her out and she won’t walk around anywhere but her own stomping ground. She freezes if I put her anywhere else. Any tips ? To get her more comfy ?
Lastly she’s been bucking, rumbling and kinda of bitchy bitch lol lately.. assuming this is her period ? Any advice ?

Thanks !! Hope someone answers and helps me out here. :)

Attachments

285802AF-68E2-4E40-AB4A-B0DB60226A21.jpeg

guineagirl0206

Cavy Gazer
All piggies have different personalities and tastes. How often do you take her out to hold her? You may just need to give her more one on one attention. I did that the minute I got home with my 3 baby girls and they are so sweet and comfy now.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are herd animals and almost all do best in pairs or groups. (There are some exceptions to this rule, but they are very rare, and then they often still like a friend in the next cage over, just not in their own cage)
She needs a friend, either another female or a neutered male.

Guinea pigs are also prey animals so life with humans can be pretty scary, we are big and they are small. Danger for them often comes from the sky so a covered area may make them more prone to wander around and explore. A guinea pig friend can also help them be more brave.

And not all pigs like to explore, they are their own little characters, just like us humans.

The bitchyness might well be her rumblestrutting due to being in heat. It happens for a day or two every 2 to 3 weeks. But they don’t always turn into grumpy girls.

stephybond

Cavy Slave
All piggies have different personalities and tastes. How often do you take her out to hold her? You may just need to give her more one on one attention. I did that the minute I got home with my 3 baby girls and they are so sweet and comfy now.
Thanks for the answer ! So I take her out everyday as soon as i get home.I sit her next to me, try to play with her but she just wheeks so I feel bad. Eventually I put her back so she doesn’t get stressed out. I just want her to be comfy and walk around the house :/

guineagirl0206

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the answer ! So I take her out everyday as soon as i get home.I sit her next to me, try to play with her but she just wheeks so I feel bad. Eventually I put her back so she doesn’t get stressed out. I just want her to be comfy and walk around the house :/
Does she still act super skittish? My guineas Nutmeg and Chestnut both still act a little bit skittish which I’m pretty sure is normal. Again that might be her personality. Try putting her on your chest(with something under her to protect from pee and poop) and just pet her little head. Not sure if all Guinea pigs like this but mine really really love rubs under the chin so she may even like that

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
You may just want to give her more time, it took over a year for my pigs to allow me to pet them and not run away. I have had 9 pigs and only one liked to run around outside the cage. They still don’t really tolerate being pet either unless it is on their terms. She may be more open once she gets a pig friend.

stephybond

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are herd animals and almost all do best in pairs or groups. (There are some exceptions to this rule, but they are very rare, and then they often still like a friend in the next cage over, just not in their own cage)
She needs a friend, either another female or a neutered male.

Guinea pigs are also prey animals so life with humans can be pretty scary, we are big and they are small. Danger for them often comes from the sky so a covered area may make them more prone to wander around and explore. A guinea pig friend can also help them be more brave.

And not all pigs like to explore, they are their own little characters, just like us humans.

The bitchyness might well be her rumblestrutting due to being in heat. It happens for a day or two every 2 to 3 weeks. But they don’t always turn into grumpy girls.
I totally understand. I actually have a huge area for her and she has a few tents and houses she can go into and hide or just chill out. I did read that being a big human Can scare them so I never come from up too to pet or grab her.. usually I level out to her same height put my hand by her to smell me and then gently grab her and have her sit in my chest with a blanket while we watch tv. No luck getting her use to me yet though :/

stephybond

Cavy Slave
Does she still act super skittish? My guineas Nutmeg and Chestnut both still act a little bit skittish which I’m pretty sure is normal. Again that might be her personality. Try putting her on your chest(with something under her to protect from pee and poop) and just pet her little head. Not sure if all Guinea pigs like this but mine really really love rubs under the chin so she may even like that
Yes she still is skittish but sometimes she’s ok.. it’s weird she has her moments. Lately she nips me when I try to gather her food and put it back in the bowl. She’s super spoiled .. has a huge play -chill área.. treats many toys .. chew things she’s a spoiled one.. I’m guessing it’s her personality as you said. She never nipped or wheeked until recently. I think she’s in heat. Should I get her a friend ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely get her a friend, either a female or a neutered male. Guinea pig births are dangerous for both sows and pups, and the death rate is high.

But be patient with her, as it will a take a while for her to get used to you. Having her sit on your lap while you feed her yummy stuff is the best way. And the yummy stuff can just be part of her daily diet -- you don't need store bought treats. Bits of fruit are ok as long as you only give her a few bites.