Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated PETCO is a terrible store :(

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
I went in PETCO today to get tunnel for my pigs. I saw a little girl was crying. I was little bit puzzled why she was crying and her mother was angry. Lucky, there was a bystander who knows sign language. She told me that the pig has URI so she cannot be sold, and she will have to send in back doors. I knew something bad will happen to the pig since the worker told her "Oh, don't worry there will be more pigs coming this Wednesday." I was utterly pissed off! I offered to take her in and take care of her veterinary care. The worker refused to let me to buy her due to policy issues. I was shocked how they refused sell it due to policy issues and couldn't be careless about the pig's health. I requested for a manager. I told her I want to take her! She refused let me. I grabbed the pig, and going to walk away the store and leaving $40 front of cashier. The manager stopped me with a paper saying, "the pig is going to vet and you can pick it up in 2 weeks, so give me the pig or police is coming." I don't want the police to be involved so I gave up the pig. I gave them my contact information number, and they promised me that the pig will be at vet and recover for me to pick it up. I hope the pig is okay. The 2 weeks of wondering if the pig is alive or dead is unnerving. They didn't care about that pig just because new bunch is coming this Wednesday. Ugh stupid pet store.

Habs7123

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I bought my Betty at Petco in maple Grove Minnesota. A couple of days later, she had a weird tilt to her head and body. She could barely move. I rushed her back to the Petco and they took her. They said she had an inner ear infection and that they would give me refund. I said I didn't want a refund, I wanted Betty to be well. They took her in and it took two weeks, (I visited her every day since I worked right by there) but they made her well and 5 years later, my tilted headed, bugged eye Betty is sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Petco is a terrible store, but not because they follow their own policies, which are usually in place for everyone's safety; one of the things they do get right.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
All stores carrying live animals are terrible. I don't regret getting my girl from Petco before I found this forum, and got VERY lucky it seems that she was healthy, but no more. I don't walk into a pet store anymore. Online is for me with folks who truly care like the store on this site, KMS, SPS--- you know, more family oriented type businesses. I'm like that with my personal items too, like shampoo and body bars from the ma and pa stores. I hate corps and wish I could avoid them all, but I do where I can because they are all corrupted!

Cavy.crazy

Cavy Slave
Wow that was such a great thing you did. Thank you for that:) I just don't understand how people can be inconsiderate of animals and seeing them as products not companions that need love and care. I am truly inspired by what you did and thank you again for giving that poor pig a chance for a great life

FluffyGuinea

Cavy Slave
I'm actually not sure what made you so outraged (other than the fact that they are selling animals). I'm thinking you might have walked in with your guns loaded because of how you see the pet store situation and just assumed the worst. For selling animals that seems like a reasonable policy. Are you implying that they should sell an animal knowing that it's sick? I know from experience from when my guinea pig needed treatment that they put all sick animals in the back to treat them so that may have been why they told her they would put it in the back. It seems like you are assuming that hey are taking it to the back to throw it in the dumpster or something which might be but it also might not be. I can understand the employees getting a little defensive that you would make that assumption.

They most likely told the little girl that they would be getting more on Wednesday because the guinea pig would take a long time to get better so it would be a while before they could sell it to her. From what I read in your post she didn't have any bond with it or anything she just saw it at the store so the guinea pig wasn't being taken from it's owner.

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
I'm actually not sure what made you so outraged (other than the fact that they are selling animals). I'm thinking you might have walked in with your guns loaded because of how you see the pet store situation and just assumed the worst. For selling animals that seems like a reasonable policy. Are you implying that they should sell an animal knowing that it's sick? I know from experience from when my guinea pig needed treatment that they put all sick animals in the back to treat them so that may have been why they told her they would put it in the back. It seems like you are assuming that hey are taking it to the back to throw it in the dumpster or something which might be but it also might not be. I can understand the employees getting a little defensive that you would make that assumption.

They most likely told the little girl that they would be getting more on Wednesday because the guinea pig would take a long time to get better so it would be a while before they could sell it to her. From what I read in your post she didn't have any bond with it or anything she just saw it at the store so the guinea pig wasn't being taken from it's owner.

I think I have every right to be mad since they refused to sell it to me even though when I offered to take care of the veterinary care. The worker even told me to wait until this Wednesday if I want to buy a pig. I didn't tell the story in details; I just summarized what happened. I have heard stories about PETCO and Petsmart would kill the sick animals. That's what made me concerned about the pig that will be going to back doors. Also why they didn't tell the girl or me immediately that we will keep the pig until its healthy once again then I can sell it to you. They just said the pig go to back doors and the new pigs are coming on Wednesday. They made it sound like that pig is discarded and encourage us to focus on the new pigs that's coming soon.

Lizzieball12

Cavy Slave
As an associate at a pet store, I can honestly tell you it is against any chain pet store's policy to sell a sick animal, weather the person say's they'll get vet care or not. It is also against company policy to euthanize the animal simply because it is sick. The associate may not have told you that he could sell it to you when it was better and that there was a new shipment on Wednesday because it takes time for the animal to be approved to go back on the sales floor. Even after it is healthy, they're generally kept in back for another week to make sure, it's like taking medicine for the full time prescribed, not just until you fell better. Personally I feel like pet stores get a poor reputation on here. We really do have the animal's interest at heart. These are the stores that will not allow the sales of rats and mice for feeders, and if we find out that's what you're using them for, we can refuse the sale.

jennyngan

Cavy Slave
I agree with @Lizzieball12. Some pet stores Get really bad reputation becuse of some other 'Bad' pet stores. In my opinion pet stores can be good or bad. I've also heard that Petco and Petsmart would kill sink animals too, or Even worst, just let Them die. But does it really mean that all stores of Petco or Petsmart are bad? We don't really know if you're not working There or something like that.

Unfortunly some place in Scandinavia, Asia, Europe and so on, doesent have a rescue and don't have Much choice to buy from a petstore. And if They buy at a breeder, it will cost alot. In my opinion, i would buy from a petstore if i don't have a choice. But becuse im sscandinavian, the pet stores here har pretty good, and sells really good things. The service are absolutely best, luckily. But i'll advice people to adopt one if you have the chance.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Don't patronize stores that sell live pets. They aren't making their money off of the animals. They're making it off the supplies they sell for pets that keeps them in business to sell the animals. Petco and Petsmart have the same policy about sick animals. Buying it from them just enables them to bring more in to sell. Buy your supplies online or from a store that doesn't sell animals.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Petco is a terrible store, so is petsmart, so are all the other stores that get their animals from mills or sell animals in general no matter how much they tell you "Our animals are bred and happy blah blah". I was surprised that when I went in the store and asked where they got their pigs from they actually told me. Now they didn't say "We got them from a mill", All they said was they got them from a facility in New York (maybe New Hampshire or New Jersey? Something with a New). Im so surpised they are oblivious to their sick animals, but the best thing to do is not walk into Petco or Petsmart. I also never knew that every blue moon they put veggies in the pigs cage. They were starting to wilt and get dry but I think they were cubes of green pepper and lettuce. Nevertheless, that doesn't make them a more decent store, I was just observing.

Aigoo

Cavy Slave
As an associate at a pet store, I can honestly tell you it is against any chain pet store's policy to sell a sick animal, weather the person say's they'll get vet care or not. It is also against company policy to euthanize the animal simply because it is sick. The associate may not have told you that he could sell it to you when it was better and that there was a new shipment on Wednesday because it takes time for the animal to be approved to go back on the sales floor. Even after it is healthy, they're generally kept in back for another week to make sure, it's like taking medicine for the full time prescribed, not just until you fell better. Personally I feel like pet stores get a poor reputation on here. We really do have the animal's interest at heart. These are the stores that will not allow the sales of rats and mice for feeders, and if we find out that's what you're using them for, we can refuse the sale.

I guess my local PETCO have bad workers coordination since they sold me a sick Guinea Pig few weeks ago. One of the manager, that store have three managers, picked up a pig and listen to it's chest and told me to call her right away if I see something funny. I didn't understand anything this time then in few days my pig got URI. My mom said PETCO sold you a sick animal. I assumed they allowed to sell sick animals. I was completely confused when they refused to sell me another sick animal. Oh well, I think my local PETCO is one of bad ones. My friend brought a older ferret from a PETCO in New York, and the manager kept on calling her to see how the ferret is doing. It impressed me.
Yesterday, I was really agitated because I was thinking of the animal. Now, I realized it wasn't their fault since they are doing what they are told. I just wish they weren't contracting together.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
My local Pets at Home had a lethal in the cage with the other males. It was a very obvious lethal, tiny eyes, missing teeth, skinny. I grabbed an employee and said 'Does that guinea pig require any special care since it has missing teeth?' (as if I didn't already know!), and the employee said 'No, it's fine, it was just born without them. Other than that it's completely fine'.

I thought long and hard about buying it to hand it over to a shelter, and in the end I couldn't do it, I didn't want to feed the cycle, so I did the next best thing, and contacted the regional manager, explaining the situation and requesting that they turn it over to a shelter themselves. They said if the employee thought the pig was fine, that the pig was fine and I must be mistaken. It still makes my heart ache a little to think about where that poor lethal could be now. That was the last time I set foot in a pet store that sells animals. I buy all my supplies online now.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
@Aigoo, while I am sure your heart was in the right place by taking the piggy from the arms of the employee and starting to walk out the store after placing forty bucks on the counter, I just don't think that was the most effective way to get your point across. I think actually the employee who threatened to call the cops if you didn't give up the guinea pig afforded you a privileged most thieves don't get. Don't get me wrong...I am not attacking you in any way but what you were doing was stealing.

The first guinea pigs I ever got was from a pet store and then I found this site and my opinion of them have totally changed. While I respect a couple of the posters on this thread's opinions about the pet store they work at being a good pet store, I highly disagree with them that pet stores get a bad rap from this forum. Even if one pet store has a more healthy environment for the employees and gives their guinea pigs fresh veggies...you can't deny that the fish tank they are all kept in with many other guinea pigs is not good for the guinea pigs. They still get their guinea pigs and other pets from breeding mills and are notorious for behavior and medical issues and miss sexing.

In my opinion, it's just better to stay away from pet stores all the time, no matter what you need. Toys, any kind of prevention stuff, cages, accessories, etc. The ones that sell animals that is. Even if you don't buy an animal from them and just get, say a hay rack or something, you inadvertently help continue the cycle of the deplorable conditions animals are subjected to in mills. Besides...usually everything is cheaper online. The only draw back to buying online is not getting the immediate satisfaction on gets when purchasing from an actual store...but that immediate satisfaction is not worth putting animals through what they go through, so I now stay clear from all pet stores that sell animals.

I think a non violent protest, strongly worded letter to the appropriate people and other ways like that would do more help than yelling at an employee or something.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Aigoo, your actions in the store most likely garnered sympathy for the store and the workers. I am sure that if you grabbed the pig out of the manager/workers hands, your voice was not low nor the tone civil. Instead of other customers hearing a good reason for the pet not to be sold, why thew store shouldn't sell live pets, how bad the conditions are, they see a lunatic making a scene until the threat of police action is used.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
I have recently learned that is not quite the fight you fight that makes the difference in the outcome, but it's the way you fight the fight that matters and is more likely to show any kind of results.

I hippie this helps for the future! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I couldn't agree more with @Zombie Queen on that one. I always say (and some of you have probably seen me saying it on here haha!), that the louder you shout, the less you're heard. People just hear *loud angry loud angry* when you shout, not what you're saying. If you take the time to make an eloquent, well worded case for your argument, they have no choice but to listen...unless they're really ignorant. I try to live by 'the longer the road, the better the destination'. That is, if you take short cuts to get what you want, you'll probably get screwed somewhere along the way. Take the long (and high) road, it gets better results :)

Artista

Cavy Slave
Yep, the shouting/angry goes for conversing with anyone in life. If someone is coming at me like that, I'm focused on forming my defense even if there really isn't one and what the other person is saying is correct. That's why yelling at kids is so ineffective. You talk to them like adults in a language they can understand. It's easy to lose your cool when you feel so passionate about something and you are correct to boot, but it's not going to do anything but put that person on the defense and tune you out.

BethW

Cavy Slave
I think I have every right to be mad since they refused to sell it to me even though when I offered to take care of the veterinary care. The worker even told me to wait until this Wednesday if I want to buy a pig. I didn't tell the story in details; I just summarized what happened. I have heard stories about PETCO and Petsmart would kill the sick animals. That's what made me concerned about the pig that will be going to back doors. Also why they didn't tell the girl or me immediately that we will keep the pig until its healthy once again then I can sell it to you. They just said the pig go to back doors and the new pigs are coming on Wednesday. They made it sound like that pig is discarded and encourage us to focus on the new pigs that's coming soon.

It's an INSURANCE issue. Regardless of how much we all dispise pet stores because they sell live animals, they are covered by insurance. If someone else had bought the pig, and the pig died, then I imagine someone may want to sue the store because of the heartache of losing their pet. Understandable, but because stores that sell anything (not just animals) are for-profit businesses, they have insurance. Any licensed business does, including rescue organizations (??) I think. I'm so sorry you were upset. It's hard realizing sometimes that animals can be "merchandise".

BethW

Cavy Slave
"The way you fight the fight"....I love that!! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.