Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Is my cavy a satin?

ChewChew

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has dark fur and she is very healthy so it has never crossed my mind that she could be satin, until today I checked my camera and saw how shiny her fur is.

Could anyone tell me if this is normal fur or satin fur? I’m sincerely worried now because I heard that the symptoms of satin syndrome may show between 12-18 months and she is about 14 months old now.

I’ve uploaded the video and attached the link below. Please help🙏
https://youtu.be/6JDlgI0zJbw

I can't really tell from the video. But the very shiny hairs that identify satins are most frequently found on the noses and feet, and especially stand out in sunlight. You might try taking her outside and see if that helps you decide.

My guinea pig has dark fur and she is very healthy so it has never crossed my mind that she could be satin, until today I checked my camera and saw how shiny her fur is.

Could anyone tell me if this is normal fur or satin fur? I’m sincerely worried now because I heard that the symptoms of satin syndrome may show between 12-18 months and she is about 14 months old now.

I’ve uploaded the video and attached the link below. Please help🙏
https://youtu.be/6JDlgI0zJbw
I understand your worry. My Lil boy, Onyx, the cutie Lil chocolate piggly in the pic I attached may be Satin. He has gorgeous shiny fur but that wasn't the thing that concerned me. He has a white sister who I was told by the pet shop I got him from "she is a satin that means she's not allowed to get pregnant. "They were surrenderd to the pet shop with their pregnant mother." I got Onyx before I even knew about Cavy rescue and adoptions. The place I got him have very limited knowledge about copies. I called them a few days after I got Onyx, he was approx 3-4 weeks old, they didn't know his age or what the heck hay they were selling to feed cavies when I inquired.
The guinea pig feed they sell has dried corn in it! When I called I said I was the lady the bought the dark baby boy guinea pig and the woman replied "oh, is it dead." That hurts my heart, honestly.

I have now become a huge advocate of proper cavy care and homing since I got my Lil guys in January 2023. I'm so horrified of the lack of vets, proper inclosures and the attitude towards such precious Lil beings. Jetty Bear, Onyx's buddy, cutie Lil black fluff in the pic, was a rescue and 4 days younger than Onyx. His prevous owner was driving him, his baby siblings and his parents around in the boot of her hatchback daily trying to sell them. She bred them for a pet shop but they rejected them. I was horrified to see the previous owner smoking cigarettes in the car all closed up with air-conditioning on. Jetty had fur missing and was so dirty. His fur is so soft now and all grow back. He is a Teddy but maybe cross with texel as he has curly whiskers and fur. I'm not sure.

What I did in regard to my concern was educate myself on the condition and find a good exotics vet just in case, or for the inevitable. I read that they can be tested. I don't know how the pet shop knew his sister was satin, but they didn't mention Onyx was.
From my understanding it won't manifest at 6 months so I keep in my mind what to look out for, and remind myself that there is a way to manage his symptoms and accept he may have a shorter life span.

What gives me the biggest peace of mind is that if I was told he was satin, and given indepth info about it I'd still have bought him knowing that I'm the kind of person who spends $7000 on surgery for my cat. I know I can give him an awesome life, afford to care for him as I do my other fur babies. 7k is not affordable but very worth the life saved. I don't have pet insurance but I do have savings that I use for human, pet and plant, lol, emergencies. I know he was meant to be with me and be completely loved no matter what. I'd rather he be my responsibility than leave it to someone else.

Sending you and your gorgeous girl lots of love and hugs.

Attachments

received_551778657123296.jpeg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.