Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

One baby not eating :S

Piggielove1234

Cavy Slave
Hi,
My guinea pig had her babies on 09/072012 and she had six but one died and me and my mum tried everything to save it but with no luck :(

Now the remaining five are doing fine and Lulu is being a good mother to them but one of the smallest ones doesn't seem to be drinking from her and it's not like she isn't letting it because all of the others are drinking and running around but this one just lays there not really moving apart from shaking and when I've put just that one with Lulu away from the others it just snuggles underneath her and doesn't bother doing anything :S We are going to take it to the vets today but I want some other advise as this has never happened before. We have been giving it a formula which is mash veg, CC, some guinea pig pellets and water and it has eaten some of it but it just doesn't seem to want to suckle or want to do anything :S I'm just worried since this has never happened to us before but this is the biggest we have ever had and this is the third pig that has been bred by us.

Please help

Oxbow Critical Care pellet mash in a syringe every few hours. by the way, this forum is anti-breeding pro rescue and pro adoption.

Thank you but we have been using that as well and don't worry we are not selling them or giving them away, we are keeping them and this wasn't planned. We have gotten given her and she is the third pregnant one that has been given to us through out the years.

Oh I read it as "this is the third pig that's been bred by you" As in you bred 2 other pigs before her. My bad. anyway, Momma piggies turn away the runts/sick in the wild for survival purposes. The best you can do is keep trying to feed the runt what you're feeding her, and hope for the best.

Sometimes one or more babies just aren't as big and strong as they should be when they're born. Really I think you are doing as much as you can under the circumstances, and you just have to accept that even with extra care it will be tough for that one to survive. Good luck!

It's ok I put it in the wrong context I meant born in our home. Yeah there is another runt but that one seems to be doing fine but this one doesn't seem to want to do anything at all but we are taking them to the vets to get them checked over and to tell them what is happening but if it doesn't improve I might have to had rear or give it extra feeds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.