Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Not sure if he likes it

Rhyue

Cavy Slave
I've got three boars and one of them is a really quirky little guy (okay they all are, but if different ways).

I know most piggies don't really like having their back end/rump area touched and its pretty easy to tell if my other two boys are currently enjoying the contact or would rather it stops (they're up and down with it, they don't mind on the lap/like it but not so much in the cage).

Chester however goes all cat on me and lifts his butt up into the air and purrs (long purring) when I scratch his bottom and doesn't really do anything to get away (though if he's in the cage he'll walk away when I stop, but he doesn't run off and comes back in a few seconds). I'm not really sure if he's kinda rumble strutting me or enjoying it. He's a silly (but smart) little boy so I wouldn't put it past him (either option really).

It may be a burr and not a purr. Burrs are signs of displeasure.

I believe a reason many pigs don't like their bottoms touched is that is relates to being mounted. Mounting in guinea pigs, remember, has to do with dominance as well as mating.

Another reason some pigs don't like being messed with back there is that the top of the rump is often an area that mites "hang out". If you scratch that area and the pig reacts a bit violently (reaching back, jumping around, trying to kick you or nip you) it's possible that mites may be present.

It may be a burr and not a purr. Burrs are signs of displeasure.

I believe a reason many pigs don't like their bottoms touched is that is relates to being mounted. Mounting in guinea pigs, remember, has to do with dominance as well as mating.

Another reason some pigs don't like being messed with back there is that the top of the rump is often an area that mites "hang out". If you scratch that area and the pig reacts a bit violently (reaching back, jumping around, trying to kick you or nip you) it's possible that mites may be present.

I'm pretty sure they don't have mites or flees or anything of the sort (they don't scratch much and they have no issues with being touched normally, especially when they're on your lap). You can touch them just about anywhere while you've got them out without them showing discomfort.

Is a burr like a durr? Its definately not a durr. Its a looong purr sound (as long as I'm rubbing his back end he makes the sound non-stop, its a low pitch not a high one as well). He lifts his butt up into the air and stays there. He might rock a bit like he does when he rumbles (he does a lot of rumblestrutting, but he's the bottom of the food chain and the others just ignore him), but he usually just says were he is, might wander a few feet when you stop and then comes right back to the hand.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.