Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I recently got a Guinea pig and I’m not sure if it’s still scared or not.

Valerieee

Cavy Gazer
I got a Guinea pig named Valerie 6 days ago. Whenever I go over to the cage it runs and hides. And it only comes out for food or if I take its house to hide in out. Once I take the house out it doesn’t even seem scared anymore. It runs around its cage making noises (chutting I think it’s called?) which I think means it’s not scared. It will even come out to me and sniff me. It will eat pellets out of my hand too. Whenever I want to get it out for floor time it always hides again. I feel bad taking away it’s house but it’s the only way to get it to come out. Once I get it onto the floor it of course goes back in its house. It just goes in and never moves. After awhile of waiting I take the house out and it’s fine. It runs around doing the chutting again and seems happy. It will even crawl on top of me and sit on my lap. It doesn’t run when I pet it either. So why is it so scared when the house is there, but suddenly not scared when I take the house away? Also one more question. I only have one Guinea pig and a four foot cage. I want to get another (if my mom will let me) because I found out that you are supposed to have two to make them more happy and comfortable. But I only have room for the 4 foot cage and no bigger. Would it be ok to have two Guinea pigs in a 4 foot cage? I just want the best for my Guinea pig and want it to feel safe and happy.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Valerieee

Cavy Gazer
My bad, I thought the cage was 4 feet it’s actually 3 though. It is 3 feet by 2 feet. Is that big enough for even one Guinea pig? Also do you think I should keep taking the house out when I want to play with the Guinea pig? Or should I leave the house in for it to feel safe?

Valerieee

Cavy Gazer
My bad, I thought the cage was 4 feet it’s actually 3 though. It is 3 feet by 2 feet. Is that big enough for even one Guinea pig? Also do you think I should keep taking the house out when I want to play with the Guinea pig? Or should I leave the house in for it to feel safe?

teambenji543

Cavy Slave
A cage of that size is not good for even a single guinea pig. It may be ok for a short period, but for the long run you'll need to make a bigger cage that's at least 7 square feet (about 4ft long by 2ft wide) If you can only fit a 4ft cage, then you could consider a second level. You can make a loft really easily using c and c grids. You'll need an even bigger cage for 2 guinea pigs.

For some guinea pigs, I've found is that it's good for them to take the house out. Someone else on the forum can correct me but I've found that it helps them to get used to you if you take the hidey house out for even a few hours each day and just sit by their cage. You can also try putting your hand inside the cage and letting your guinea pig sniff you. Valerie could just be running away from you because there's a shelter nearby, without a hidey home, she doesn't have anywhere to run. If you do take the house out for the day, just make sure to put it back in in the evening to give her a place to sleep.

Guinea pigs will always be prey animals and I've found that almost all guinea pigs will bolt at sudden noises. It's a really good sign that she'll climb on your lap! Just be patient and continue to gain trust with her. I'm sure that Valerie will gain your trust with a bit of patience.

Cage Size Standards
# of Pigs
Minimum
PREFERRED
in cm
in grids
cavybullet.gif
.7 sq mmore is better76 x 912x3 grids
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
.7 sq m1 sq m76 x 1272x4 grids
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
1 sq m1.2 sq m76 x 1572x5 grids
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
cavybullet.gif
1.2 sq mmore is better76 x 1932x6 grids

Valerieee

Cavy Gazer
Thank you! I will get a second floor as soon as possible!! Do you think my Guinea pig will be ok alone? Obviously I will give it lots of attention but if I need a bigger cage then I wouldn’t be able to get two. I’m going to try and convince my mom to keep it in a room that could actually fit a larger cage so then maybe I could get two. But for now she is making me keep it in my room which can’t fit anything more. Also I did say 4 feet, but I actually meant 3 feet. It’s 3 feet by 2 feet. Is that ok if I get a second story?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Leave the house in place and add a few more hiding areas or drape fabric over a corner of the cage. Your guinea pig is a prey animal and naturally fearful. It needs to hide and feel safe, but without the house it is in the open and terrified. It freezes in place because you’ve taken away the only safe place it has. Then you reach down and pick it up, just like a hawk or other predator. It will continue to hide from you.

Instead of catching it that way, gently corner it and pick it up with a hand under the belly and the other around the butt and back. Throughout the day talk to your guinea pig. Say it’s name and feed a special treat by hand. Something like leaf lettuce, green pepper, or a matchstick-size piece of carrot that it only gets by hand from you. It will learn its name and start to come out to meet you.

Spend time holding it on your lap wrapped in a small, soft towel. Wrap it loosely like a burrito which makes your guinea pig feel safe and allows it to pull its head in and hide, but keeps it from bolting if it gets frightened. Feed treats during lap time.

Be patient, this takes weeks and even months, but is very rewarding.

Valerieee

Cavy Gazer
Thank you :) I am planning on getting more hiding areas for her. I’m also getting a tube for her to go in and maybe then I can just pick the tube up while she’s in it so I can get her out easier

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That sounds like a great idea.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
If you have limited floor space, you might try using wire shelves that are made for kitchen cabinets to add space. I bought 2 at the Dollar Tree and I put fleece over the top. My guinea pig Gidget loves it. She’s a climber, so I ended up putting a fleece pad on top so her little feet wouldn’t slip through the wire.
EAF6AC95-03E1-47B9-9DAE-2CA031ACA3E1.jpg

Another option is the stacking organizer bins also at Dollar Tree. Flipped upside down they make great tunnels and the guinea pigs can push them around anywhere they want.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.