Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Training? Is it possible and ethical?

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
I have read that gps can be trained to come when called. Is this true? If so, is it ok to do? How can it be done?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs will learn to come when called by their name or any key word you wish to use. All you have to do is say the word and offer a veggie treat. They will associate the word with a treat.

They can also be taught simple tricks, such as turning in a circle for a treat. Simply say, “Circle” and lead them in a circle with a veggie treat, then give the treat. When my first piggy learned that, she would do circles to let me know she wanted a treat.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs will learn to come when called by their name or any key word you wish to use. All you have to do is say the word and offer a veggie treat. They will associate the word with a treat.

They can also be taught simple tricks, such as turning in a circle for a treat. Simply say, “Circle” and lead them in a circle with a veggie treat, then give the treat. When my first piggy learned that, she would do circles to let me know she wanted a treat.
Thank you! I was wondering. I’ll try some of those out with parsley, their favorite :)

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Someone on this forum has taught their pigs to use speaking buttons. I don't know the actual term. They press the button for 'hungry' and so on. You can see lots of videos on Youtube of pigs doing all sorts of cute tricks. As for it being ethical, it's no different from training any other pet.

My 4 don't really know any tricks, but my foster comes to his name (which I don't like and will have to figure out how to teach him a new name if I adopt him). He also comes to kissy noises. All my pigs will get excited if I ask them if they are hungry or want a cookie.

cruella-de-vil

Cavy Slave
Someone on this forum has taught their pigs to use speaking buttons. I don't know the actual term. They press the button for 'hungry' and so on. You can see lots of videos on Youtube of pigs doing all sorts of cute tricks. As for it being ethical, it's no different from training any other pet.

My 4 don't really know any tricks, but my foster comes to his name (which I don't like and will have to figure out how to teach him a new name if I adopt him). He also comes to kissy noises. All my pigs will get excited if I ask them if they are hungry or want a cookie.
Thanks! One of my two comes when I call her… if she feels like it, and I have parsley.