Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No Fruit?

LiloDFC

Cavy Slave
I was curious if it was detrimental for pigs to have fruit, my girls don't really like much of any fruit except apples, and I know I can't give them those that often. If I do need to give them fruit regularly, how often and what are some ideas for them to try?

Thanks,
Lilo

I give my 2 little guys orange slices for there vitamin C supply.

Mine like strawberries, apples, oranges, banana (only a small slice though). As long as they get their cup of vegetables, don't worry too much about the fruit. If your pigs care for fruit, then you should give it twice a week.

There are tons of fruits you can try. Pears, apricots, raspberries, blueberries, canteloupe, watermelon, honeydew, kiwi, oranges, figs (fresh preferably), grapes, plums, etc.

My boys especially love watermelon, but I usually don't have fresh fruit on hand like I do with veggies. So usually fruit is given as a treat or when I have a craving. :)

Mine love mango, apple, blueberries, honeydew, watermelon, cantelope, grapes and strawberries.

Mine aren't keen on fruit. Lottie loves her grapes and that's as far as it goes when it comes to favourite fruits. They'll all nibble apple and watermelon, but they really don't care for anything else.

My penny loves and I mean loves oranges. She is sick now and at least if she doesn't take her vitamin C she will always devour an orange.

I have never given mine plums bc I thought I had read somewhere to stay away from fruits with pits. So that means I stayed away from peaches too. I guess they are ok just as long as you don't put the pit in with the pigs then? I would have never done that anyway. Also, no potatos right?

Cantaloupes are a favourite around here. Which is very good for me. My husband won't eat them and I can't eat an entire cantaloupe my myself so I have 4 piggers to share with right now. They get my left over rinds too.

Ginny loves her fruit especially watermelon and banana. I recently introduced grapes which she likes pretty well but won't eat unless cut in half, I guess she just can't get a hold on them otherwise.

Mine love all fruit except grapes and blackberries. They will chow down anything I put in their cage. :0)

They love a slice of apple occasionally, and they'll eat grapes as look as I cut them in half :)

Percy is a huge fan of canteloupe and strawberry. The white parts of his face gets all pink when he tears into a berry. He nibbled a pear, wouldn't touch oranges, and likes mango when I get the urge to spend that much money on fruit.
laura220 said:
Ginny loves her fruit especially watermelon and banana.
Be careful with the banana. You don't want a constipated piggy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.