Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Momma!

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,
I'm a new mom of a guinea pig here on the East Coast! She's mostly a cream colour with a white strip across her nose, which is pink with black speckles in places. She has white markings on her back. Her feet are kind of grayish-black.
Her name, you ask?
Charlemagne Calypso, of course! The second name is her middle one. The first name is actually a Germanic king, but it sounds more fit for a female pig. And Calypso I gathered from The Odyssey. She was mad, lemme tell you.
Does anyone know what these markings are called? I heard broken color or something similar from the internet. She's only two colours, but the gray feet might prove that otherwise.
Anyway, I'm still in school (high school, actually) and I love cavies! I'm currently making a Pinterest board on them which you can find under my username, designerroyale.
I just realized that I used colours and colors. I'm not from England or anything. I just use that sometimes because of the Neopets' influence on me. "This is my favorurite colour!"
The cage is 4.2 square feet, where I heard the MINIMUM on CavyCages is 7 something square feet. For one pig. My cage can be found here: (broken link removed)
I didn't get it from that dealer, I got it from a local shop out here, near Costco.
Thanks for stopping by!
~ck:eek:ptimist:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! We need to see a picture, of course.

If I were you, I'd take that cage back and get my money refunded. It's not nearly large enough for one pig, and pigs do much better with friends. So you'll probably want two.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! We have a pigture addiction around here so please, please show us your piggy! We just adopted a dog and named her Calypso!

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. I'm still figuring out the works of this site. I have posted three pictures (or more, can't remember) under "Guinea Pigs" and the title for all of them is "Charlemagne". I want to make my favorite my profile picture!
Anyway, as much as I want to say yes about taking the cage back and getting a bigger one, it really isn't an option. Number one, my mother paid the $25 extra for the cage, so I can't return it without her knowledge and making her feel bad. Number two, I don't have the extra money to shell out and neither does my mother at the time, so...
I take her out for at LEAST half an hour daily, now. She gets time to roam, but doesn't do anything, much. She just came home a few days ago, after all.
So if there's something I can do to make her stay better while costing less, does someone want to let me know? Thank you for everything.
I still would like to know her colorings, if someone could help with that. She's American, for sure, because of her coat style, but the markings I'm curious about. Please, check out my pictures and let me know!
~ck

juliannimal

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! I can't wait to see a picture :)

Typically the most cost effective way to get a cage is to build a C&C cage. That is what nearly everyone on here uses and they really are the best. They are much less expensive than a pre-made cage, they are entirely customizable, you can expand them to however large you want, and are incredibly easy to clean.
C&C stands for "cubes and coroplast". Cubes being the wire storage cubes you put together yourself and coroplast being a plastic bottom. There is a TON of information on C&C cages in this forum.

And I have no idea what her coloring might be called, sorry!

Welcome to the forum :)

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Hello! I agree with the cage thing. She can stay in the cage for a little while. My girls shared a smaller cage(they were NEVER popcorning or acting all happy and stuff) for a while until I could affor the materials for the cage. My girls LOVE the cage and are always popcorning and doing zoomies!

cavykaitlyn

Cavy Slave
After hearing opinions from the cavy professionals, I think I'll save up to invest in a larger cage. Plus, my birthday is coming in late July, so...
The first cage will have to stay. I can probably sell it when I get a C&C cage. I don't want to get it refunded because she won't have a place to live while I'm waiting for the cage, among other reasons ^^
Thank you everyone! If you know her coloring, please comment on my pictures or post here!
~ck
ps. If I'm not on for a while it's because of my kindle fire. It doesn't allow me to post on it, but I can view the site. Charlemagne likes to lick the screen when she sees other pigs :) I use my phone to post.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.