Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello! New to guineas and inherited a baby

epicrubia

Cavy Gazer
Hi! My brother bought two guineas recently, completely unaware that one of them was already pregnant. She had her baby about 4 weeks ago and due to him becoming sexually mature and fear of another pregnancy I took him in. Ive grown up around dogs, cats and birds and these two are his first guineas so we are kind of figuring things out as we go/researching a lot. I do have 2 cats that come from multi pet households but I am keeping his enclosure in a separate room as I’ve read they’re super anxious around predatory pets and I dont want them sniffing around his enclosure and freaking him out. He was very social with their young daughter and I was able to hold and interact with him but once I brought him home and got him setup he has hidden himself away. Now Its only day 2 of having him with me, and ive read they need a lot of time to adapt so I don’t want to make him even more anxious, I’m sort of leaving him be for now and checkin in every now and then. I can tell hes eating his hay & food and drinking water but I’m anxious myself so I’m a little worried. Any advice for a beginner and for caring for a baby male would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

IMG_3972.jpeg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on your new little guy! He will be wary and hiding for a while until he gets used to the sounds of the house. It’s a good idea to talk to him, sit by the cage, and interact so he gets to know you and expect a treat.

Here is a link to info on Guinea Pig Care. There are lots of experienced people out here to help you with questions.