Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
Hi all!!! Just wanted to say to those out there with love for our GPs... =) I got one from PetCo last July and she (Jiggy) only lived for a month. After 9 months of mourning and not being able to find one comparable to Jiggy, I finally found Fudgy Bananas. The pet store owners says she's about 5, 6 weeks old and a mix of Peruvian and something else? I'm not sure.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Next time please adopt from a rescue or shelter. Your pig needs to have a friend. (www.petfinder.com)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Sorry about the loss of your first pig. Pigs bought from pet stores are often ill due to poor housing and diet. You should take Fudgy Banana (cute name) to a vet as soon as possible as she is at risk also.

To help give your new pig the best chance please let us know exactly how you are feeding/caring for fer. Let us know what you feed her (brand names) what suppliments/toys/treats she has. Sinece you bought her from a pet shop you probably did not get very good advice on caring for your new friend. We can help you give you Piggie a great life. Meanwhile you should read these websites.
https://cavyspirit.com/care.htm
https://www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html
https://cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

Welxome to the forum. We are here to help so please ask questions.

kalrik

Cavy Slave
Hello. You should get her a buddy, she'll be a lot more active and happy. This time you can rescue. Aside from saving a life, you will most likely be saving money too as rescue pigs generally ask only for a donation . . . an extra incentive to adopt.

Oh yeah, since your pig is young you should get her an older friend of the same sex. They might get along better than two of the same age.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry about your loss, but pigs that originate for pet stores have that risk! We'd love to see some pictures of your new piggy. Also, could you give us some more info like the cage setup? What sort of veggies are you giving

Oh, and your pigs name is so sweet!

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
Hi voodoo,
This is the info you needed... We use the following supplies (any advice? good? bad?)

Bedding: Carefresh Pet Bedding

Food: Kaylor of Colorado Sweet Harvest with alfalfa pellets

Alfalfa leaves/stalks: Kaytee

Cage size: 15in x 21in but planning on getting a plastic transparent storage container that's about 2 ft x 4ft (but not high) as the bottom and using cubes as the walls

Shoprite chewable vitamin C's in 250mg (we break it in half)

Here's our Fudgy Bananas...

Last edited:

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
He's adorable!! You will need to get a plain pelleted food. Oxbow rocks and is very highly reccomended((broken link removed)). And you will want to think about making a c&c (www.guineapigcages.com). I'm not sure about the vitamins, don't give them if they aren't pure vitamin C, no sugar or anything added.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! Fudgy Bananas is adorable!

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Cute piggy! I too recommend Oxbow! Cavy Cuisine for over six months, Cavy Performance for under six months. For the best hay, visit KMs ((broken link removed)) The alfalfa/bluegrass mix is great for under six months, and the bluegrass (my favorite!) and the timothy are great for over six months.

He should also be getting one cup of fresh veggies a day. Visit https://guinealynx.com/nutrition.html for more.

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
Oh, I forgot about the toys and veggies...

Toys - toy with a mirror and a bell (meant for birds?)

Veggies - one carrot (baby-size) every other day, just started on giving her a piece of spinach or two, and one grape so far (got her on Saturday) though I read that grapes are not good?

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
Fruit is fine, just feed it 2-3 times a week. Maybe two or three peices. Try feeding more greens (romaine or red leaf lettuce, cucumbers, lots of bell pepper, cilantro, and parsley to name a few).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Grapes are ok as once in a great while treats. I want to welcome you to the board. Once you change to a good plain pelleted food your pig will love you all the more for that. Pellet mixes pose a choking hazard. Also you need to add other veggies to her diet like romaine/red or green leaf lettuce, bell pepper, cilantro, etc. Here is a list of great veggies to feed:
www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html

Also please build your piggie a C&C cage and forget about that plastic storage container. Those are not good for pigs. You can get coroplast fairly cheap and it's much better in the long run. Carrots should be fed no more than one baby carrot 2-3 times per week as feeding too many carrots can lead to liver damage. Spinach should be fed in moderation about 1-2 times a week. It's high in calcium and oxalic acid as well but feeding too much will lead to problems later on.

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
Why is the plastic container not good? Is it hazardous to cavies?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Poor ventilation and usually inner dimensions are too small.

(broken link removed)

Peaches

Cavy Slave
I agree with Ly totally about the mixes. I had mine on the store mixed brand and they coughed (gagged?) often. After I switched them to a plain pellet food, havent heard a cough since.

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
I didn't know the mixes could make them choke! I bought one bag originally because that is what Petco recommend (ha!). I changed to plain pellets after that because I read the mixes are fattening. Good to know....thanks, Ly and Peaches!

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
I was just watching a news clip from this website yesterday about PetCo (right hand side)... now it gives me the shivers to even hear that name...

https://cavyspirit.com/petstores.htm

A4PigHome

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I did not know about this site or adoptions when I went to Petco. If I'd known then what I know now......

Oh well. I do love my 4 cavies though, and am very glad I "rescued" them from Petco. It just really bothers me to know that Petco has my money and is using it horribly!

fudgybananas

Cavy Slave
Oh, about the plastic container... it's not going to be high. Basically instead of using the coroplast, it's going to be a very low plastic container instead (like a bed pan). Is that ok?

pennick

Cavy Slave
fudgybananas said:
Oh, about the plastic container... it's not going to be high. Basically instead of using the coroplast, it's going to be a very low plastic container instead (like a bed pan). Is that ok?

You stated 24" x 48", if that is the true inner dimension, it should be fine for one piggy. I don't think I have ever seen that large a plastic tub. The minimum size of a C&C cage is 28" x 42", so your size is adequate. If you decide to get a mate which we all hope you do then you will have to make your cage larger.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.