Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New in New Zealand

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm from Singapore, but am currently living in Auckland. Earlier today I adopted two guinea pigs, my first ever:

eating_pellets_20180429.jpg

On the left is Chloe (originally known as "Khole", but I honestly find that overly unusual, hahah), and next to her is Randell (that's what the (broken link removed) told me, but then they also called him "Randy" on their website, and I think that might be easier).

I was told that Chloe is around 8 months old, and Randy somewhere above a year old. They have both been desexed thanks to the rescue folks, and were paired by them too.

Kate Pellham's Guinea Pigs: The Essential Guide To Ownership, Care, & Training For Your Pet mentioned something about 10 popular breeds, though only word descriptions without photos were provided. Is it possible to tell what breeds Chloe and Randy are from? If so, would anyone like to enlighten me? Thanks!

Here are two more photos:
chloe_tunnel_20180429.jpg eating_hay_20180429.jpg

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome and the suggested breed identification! :)

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Randy looks a lot like a Teddy with a bit of Abby mix. Is his hair on the coarse side? Teddy hair often bristles up.

stray hares

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't think teddies exist in NZ, just rex pigs. :)

Though NZ has some very interesting, Kiwi-specific breeds and colours (like tweeds!).

They're both lovely-looking pigs, I do love agouti patched pigs.

Janani.R.S

Cavy Slave
Aww! Your pigs are so cute! Chloe looks like an American while Randy is like
Abyssinian
in the front and Teddy in the back, Randy is like a mix while Chloe is just American.

aranelchan

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! Here's what their cage looks like:

20180503_204214.jpg

I was told to keep the water bowl as that's what they are used to, but how do I get them to switch to the bottle?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.