Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea pig owner!

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
No, that's very good you don't want to give them to much fruits and veggies. You don't what to give them to much sugar or vitamine c. They also need a fortified pellet food diet as well.

Yes people have trained gps to use litter boxes. But it can be difficult they either get it or they don't. Training them early in age helps the younger they are the easier they are to train.

You should place the litter box where they are mostly weeing at now. Also when they use it give them a treat, possitive reinforcment helps. But you should only give that spacific treat to them when they use the litter box. This will make the piggies think when I wee there I get this treat.

What if they're trying to eat the litter bedding? I tried litter sorbent bedding and yesterday's news and watched them a few times. They tried to eat both types so i took it out...any suggestions?!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
What if they're trying to eat the litter bedding? I tried litter sorbent bedding and yesterday's news and watched them a few times. They tried to eat both types so i took it out...any suggestions?!

Idk I've never tried litter training my piggie. Guinea pigs do eat there poo but you should not stop them. I know its gross:sly: but there stomachs don't process food like ours does. Sometimes it takes 2 times for them to digest all the nutriants they need (hence the reason they eat their poo). But eating the litter:confused: if its confetti paper it will disolve so it won't hurt them. If its hay then that is okay hay is good for them as you know. If its something else then I don't know like I said I've never litter trained my piggie befor so. Hope this helps. :cool:

LiLiPiggies08

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs only eat certain types of poop, called caecal pellets, and usually they re-ingest them directly from the anus. They look different too.

StarknNemesis

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs only eat certain types of poop, called caecal pellets, and usually they re-ingest them directly from the anus. They look different too.

Can you explain different? Just so if my boys do it i dont freak out!

As for the litter, i mixed kaytee soft sorbent with yesterday's news. Im worried about them having issues even if they eat the yesterday's news which is recycled paper.

I do however have them trained and used to a small hand vacuum which i use ever day.

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Caecal poops are good for their digestion. They will usually pause, duck their head to the anus area and take it directly out. My pigs usually stumble when they try to grab it. lol

check to see if they are chewing.

sugarandspice

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Also, if a bedding wasn't safe to be ingested, it wouldn't be safe for guinea pigs. (See corn cob bedding)

Of course, if they are eating huge amounts of its not good, but they usually won't. :) just wanted to clarify.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Caecal poops are good for their digestion. They will usually pause, duck their head to the anus area and take it directly out. My pigs usually stumble when they try to grab it. lol

check to see if they are chewing.

My piggie usually waits till it drops to eat hers. I've never seen her take a piece directly out though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.