Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is this normal for my guinea pig?

Lou

Cavy Gazer
Hey all!! I’m an 18 year old girl and I have a guinea pig male named Albert, I was petting him and found these little brown spots behind his ear and it quickly worried me. His other ears fur is white and looks normal and clear, and when I looked behind his other ear I saw this. I already know Guinea pigs have bald spots behind their ears, and I felt both sides and they both feel flat and smooth besides a very small bump feeling on this particular ear, but he seems fine otherwise. Both sides of his ears are different colors, so I’m unsure if it’s just the color of his skin?

Attachments

IMG_2783.jpeg

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
That looks kind of rough and dry. It could be a fungus, which is pretty common.

If it’s only one small area, you could use an anti-fungal shampoo just in that spot. Mix the shampoo with a little water and work it in. A small, stiff paintbrush works well. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse. A good shampoo is Davis miconizole, but there are others available at drug stores.

Then apply an anti-fungal cream, such as an athlete’s foot treatment. Be sure to work it in well in case he scratches and then licks his feet. You can use this each day and in a few days you should see some improvement.

Also, wash your hands well because people can pick up fungus, too.

Lou

Cavy Gazer
Okay!! Thank you so much!! I will definitely give it a try!!❤️❤️

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
When I brought Millie home a couple of months ago she had the start of bumblefoot. I used a cream prescribed by the vet, but it wasn’t clearing up. She she started scratching behind her ears. So I bought Davis miconizole shampoo and gave her a bath. Then rubbed in some anti-fungal cream on her feet and behind her ears. It was clearing up in a week.