Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New account and piggie!

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Hi! My names Hanna I'm the owner of Odie, Olive and Taffyta my newest addition! My last account (hanna.richter) logged me out and wouldn't let me log back in?? So I had to make a new one after about 100 failed attempts to get back into it somehow. So if that one needs to be deleted I do not mind at all. So my little Taffy is one baby I kept from my accidental litter. The mother has since been rehomed. She has this long fluffy hair! Nothing like Odie or Olive. She's super sweet and is obsessed with lettuce. Odie got fixed two weeks ago, and he is living next door to the too girls with grids separating them. Plan on making the reintroduction in about two weeks. Also a new cage coming soon!! Will be posting pictures when it is all ready 😊
uploadfromtaptalk1439526440174.jpg

magicpiggie

Cavy Slave
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww cuteness overload!!!!!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Cute piggy.

We usually don't allow users to have multiple accounts.
Did you try to reset your old password? There's a "Forgotten your password? Click here!" on the page after you fail to log on.

Edit:
I've merged your accounts. You can keep the new one.

taffy123

Cavy Slave
@lissie I did! And it didn't work, I did not understand what was happening. When I did try to login it would tell me that no such account existed. Or that it was experiencing difficulties and to try again later.

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Cute piggy.

We usually don't allow users to have multiple accounts.
Did you try to reset your old password? There's a "Forgotten your password? Click here!" on the page after you fail to log on.

Edit:
I've merged your accounts. You can keep the new one.
Thank you so much!!

smfetter

Cavy Slave
My male piggie just got neutered too after his brother died about 2 months ago :( my vet said to wait 6-8 weeks tho before putting them together. (He still has another 3 weeks to go) Did your vet just say 4 weeks?

smfetter

Cavy Slave
P.S. I have three girl piggies too...

taffy123

Cavy Slave
My male piggie just got neutered too after his brother died about 2 months ago :( my vet said to wait 6-8 weeks tho before putting them together. (He still has another 3 weeks to go) Did your vet just say 4 weeks?
Aww I'm sorry to hear about your piggy :( but yeah my vet told me to wait 4 weeks, did your vet tell you why to wait that extra time? Should I be worried about doing it at 4 weeks?!
Thank you so much!!

P.S. I have three girl piggies too...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Four weeks is fine. Six is excessive.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Idk. I have heard of vets saying 2 weeks and everything being fine and also vets saying 4 weeks and a piggy getting pregnant. I think it should be okay. My vet just said wait 6-8 weeks so all of the sperm will be dead. He didn't say anything else about why to wait so long though? Maybe you could start a post on it? I would be interested to hear what people have to say!

taffy123

Cavy Slave
@bpatters thank you! Have you ever introduced a altered male to a group of females? Just wondering, if so any tips of what to watch out for or anything?

smfetter

Cavy Slave
How many females are you introducing him to?

taffy123

Cavy Slave
@smfetter 2. He is 5 months old and olive is 3 months and taffy 1 month.

smfetter

Cavy Slave
Oh then intros will hopefully be easy as he is the oldest and will most likely want to be dominant! You probably already know this but introduce on neutral territory, put a pile of hay and some veggies in the middle and keep a blanket near by to throw over them if they start actually attacking each other. I have also heard, unless your piggies aren't very tame yet (I'm guessing not since they are so young), not to put hides houses in. If they are scared and need somewhere to hide, put tunnels in or houses with multiple openings so they won't get trapped! Good luck! Let us know how everything goes!

taffy123

Cavy Slave
@smfetter thank you very much 😊 yeah I've tried to read all out introductions so I hope it all goes well. I'll make sure to post something along with a picture of my hopefully happy trio in 2 weeks.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Here's the best link I know on introductions: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

Since he's older and larger and controlled by his adolescent hormones, and they're so young, do make sure that he's not harassing them to the point that they can't eat. Weigh them daily (same time of day, preferably before breakfast) for several days until things settle down. I wouldn't expect a lot of squabbling with them all being so young, but I would expect a lot of humping and sniffing.

taffy123

Cavy Slave
For anyone who would like an update! I introduced Odie to the girls yesterday and everyhing went flawlessly! I am SO happy. Not a single fight happened or anything. He did mount each of them a few times (like 2 or 3 each) and the occasional rumble but that is it!! They are in their cage now and I have watched very closely and seen each of them eat and drink many times. One thing that I am curious about is literally every time Odie walks around, he is rumbling.. Is that normal and will eventually stop? Or something else? So happy to have a happy trio now :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He'll probably rumble for the next several years. :) It's totally normal.

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Thank you, @bpatters I guess it's a good thing I love all of their little sounds then! :)

smfetter

Cavy Slave
OMG!! I hope my intros go that smoothly! I am doing mine tomorrow!!! My 3 females and 1 male will be living in an L shaped 2x8! I can't wait!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.