Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior My piggies have a drinking problem!

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
So my 1 pig, Libbie, for the past year has drunk from the water bottle way too much, then she's gotten even worse. Drinking like mad each time for 6-10min's at a time! Rubbie is now drinking way more the past 3 month's or so now too. They go through so much water - as you can imagine, this has really created a pee problem of epic proportions! I've added many layers now to my cage, even putting 2 extra towels and fleece on top and then after 3 days taking it off and having them on the normal fleece/towel set up with magazines and newspapers below that and STILL the pee is going and soaking it through. I don't know what to do as it's getting worse. It's a huge job to "do the cage" so often. Any ideas? Anyone have/had this problem? Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Have them checked for diabetes -- that can cause huge water consumption.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Yes, diabetes may be a possibility, as well as a kidney issue. Are they having any other symptoms besides excessive drinking?

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
No, I really think it's a hobby. She's really been doing it for a few years, it's just getting worse and now the other one for the past 3-4mo's has been following suit, but not near to the extent of Libbie. It's gotten worse (pee) a lot because now I have 2 pigs drinking a lot instead of the 1. But, she has increased her amount in the past month's as well. The water piggie is just over 4.5yrs old and the other is almost 5.

GracieLollie

Cavy Slave
It could be diabetes, but it's more the amount of time they drink than just how often. My wife was type 1 diabetic and she knows all about the thirst!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.