Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression my guinea pigs behavior, dont know if I should seperate ( video included)

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
Video1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ed4919xdocy/20140408_220117.mp4
Video 2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/epe517h3ibk48x0/20140408_215846.mp4
Vdeo 3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/slnpsxwgta49ek4/20140408_223435.mp4

Hello guys again,
I think I need to separate my guineas cause i got one acting like a bully. This had been going on for a while, when I asked about this before and I was advised to put them in a bigger cage and I did, they are now in a 2x4 cc cage. But its still happening, my black guinea cant just lounge out of her hide a way without the white one bothering her. So she now only comes out to eat and drink, I hardly see her out. I dont want my guinea pig to be miserable so if you guys can please view the 3 videos I included and let me know whats going on that would be Great. Also sometimes day goes into her hide a way and night lets out a loud squealing noise like day is hurting her. I check her regular and I dont see and scares. Please help!

P.s. i dont know how good isthe sound is on the videos but day (the white one) is making a vibranting noise while she is bothering night ( the black one)​

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
How old are they and are they male or female? Also, is there bloodshed or absolute constant terrorizing?

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
I think they are aroud 5 to 6 months andttey are females

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Looks like the lighter colored one is trying to establish her dominance.
They will do things like lift their heads at each other and rumble strut.
As long as there is no blood shed, I would not separate.
My sows will go through phases like that when they are in heat.
This thread might help https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/

I would remove the wooden hutch.
It is good to have hidies that have more than one opening.
My girls really calm down when they have a fleece forest area in each corner of the cage.
easy access and no chance of one pig trapping or cornering another.

Good luck

The pigs are adorable btw

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
2x4 is the minimum size for two sows, they may need an even larger cage to help calm dominance issues down.
But like has been said, if they're not drawing blood and having all out, latching on to each other fights, then that's all it is, dominance issues.

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice, that size cage is all I have room for at the moment and the reason I actaully have the wood hideaway in there cause that is the only thing I see they will chew on. I have a few wood sticks and a wood thingy hangin on the side of the cage they can get to but they only interested in the hide away lol but I will take it out and do the fleece forest idea and I have fleece tunnels and things in the cage ( I have spent so much money on those things).
And ill let you know how that works, this guinea pig thing is harder then I thought and it just pulls on my heart strings when I see them do that! But ill let it be and hopefully they work it out.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Not to change the subject, but it looks like you might have 8 spaced grids for you cage which aren't safe. They can stick their head in one of those spaces and not be able to pull it back out and strangle. You can slightly overlap grids to make it safe.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't need anything to chew on if they've got a constant supply of long strand grass hay. You can make fleece forests for them, which may give the more submissive one a chance to hide.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I see nothing wrong with their behavior
It is normal behavior for them. Remove the wooden hidy and either add a fleece forest or another tunnel.
And yes, it looks like you're grids are too large. You can either replace them with 9x9 grids or overlap them to make the hopes smaller.
I'd also add more hay. There seems to be a very small supply and the tan and white pig is trying to keep it all. With my pigs. I try to make there there is more than enough hay for them and everyone has a bottle to go to for water.

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
Just to clarify, any pet of mine is a very happy and lucky animal. Those guinea pigs have more then most, and I do my best to make sure they have more then enough. I feed my guineas more then twice a day, they always have a unlimited supply of food and I feed them what I've heard was the best (oxbow pellets and hay) but I recently ordered from SPS, also vegetables. I admit I am new to the guinea pig world but I am always researching, asking for advice, they even have a regular vet already, where I take to get them to get checked up if I see the slightest sign of sickness (I am a big lover of animals) Please Mr. Whistles don't get it confused...I made that video so I wouldn't have to try to explain there behavior since this is all new to me and I am taken all of you guys advice to heart....just last night because of the previous responses I took out the wood hide a way and made them a fleece forest in its place. I searched and found out that moment how to make one and was one it like white on rice! So I'm doing my best.

Sorry if you didn't mean it in a way I took it , but I get really offensive about that type of thing especially with animals cause I pride myself on being a great guardian of animals and what I don't know I find out the best way I can. Oh and also there are two water bottles on the cage also, had them ever since I had the guineas

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
Bpatters, thanks for the suggestion on the fleece forest, I made one and they really like it. And this morning for the first time that I have seen Night (the black one) is actually mounting back so she's not as submissive anymore lol I was so proud of her I picked her up and gave her a hug lol so I don't feel so bad for her, she seems to be trying to stand her ground now. Thanks for the advice everyone and I will check on the grid size and I'll have to work on how to fix that problem.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Note: I didn't say you aren't providing enough hay. I just said to provide MORE hay. Make a bigger pile or build a hay rack and stuff it full of hay. Alls I see of the hay in the videos is a white material and some hay spread on top of it.

How long have you had the pigs? It is possible that they're still just in the beginning stages and still getting to know one another.

Wanda ProGama

Cavy Slave
I got them in November, and I have tried a couple different hay racks and bins. I found that I waste a lot of hay with them, cause when it would get down to a certain spot they would stop eating it and wait for me to put new hay in (i may have spoiled them since i replenish so many times a day lol) so I have been trying different methods to see what works best. I have like 3 different hay thingys just collecting dust now lol I have so much stuff I have tried, I may donate these extra things to a rescue group for guineas lol

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Someone (I think it might even be Mr Whistles) has the same problem, pigs that are hay-fussy. When they think the hay is 'too old' to eat and want fresh stuff, just take that hay out, put it back in the bag/box of hay, then put it back in to their holder, and that works for them! Tricks them in to thinking they're getting fresh stuff lol

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
My pigs did get fussy with "the bottom of the rack" hay. But since adding what I currently have, I've had no issues with them eating hay. Sometimes they'll get a wild hair and eat out of only the middle rack, but nothing else.

This is my current hay set up:

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Ooh that's a nice hay rack idea, I can't wait till my baby pig is old enough that I can do things like that (she's still too small for grids that aren't baby-proofed).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.