Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Let's see those Monster cages!

arcangel

Cavy Slave
I've always wanted to know and see those monster sized cages! So i sat down and typed this out to hear about those huge cages and see them.
I know i have one
i have 26 sq ft cage it's not home it's a guinea pig mansion that's houses 5 piggies right now(it takes 3 garbage bags to remove the bedding) * switching to fleece soon*
*Post pictures after i clean the cage tomo*

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave

This is a very old pic of my cage set up, I've changed a few things and added a support system across the top and use solid sheets of fleece on both sides but it's the same amount of grid space as when I first made it in this pic.

It's basically two 2x3 areas with a 2x7 run, but I usually call it a 4x7 "ish" C&C. I think it comes out to around 30sq ft or so, and houses my two boars. I'm horrible with math though if anybody wants to correct me lol!

Tara1

Cavy Slave
Mine is a 2x6 cc cage. Dont have a pic on the computer yet of it.

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
Mine is 2 2x5 cages attached by a 1x almost 2 "bridge" (Does that qualify as a "monster" cage?). It is in a narrow room and takes up half of it. It's hard to get a whole pic of the cage facing the other direction, but here it what you see when you walk in the room. :) It houses 6 girls.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Mine is 2 2x5 cages attached by a 1x almost 2 "bridge" (Does that qualify as a "monster" cage?). It is in a narrow room and takes up half of it. It's hard to get a whole pic of the cage facing the other direction, but here it what you see when you walk in the room. :) It houses 6 girls.
View attachment 41300

I love these U-Shaped cages, mine is kind of a short, stubby U shape lol but I know my boys love running around and doing laps from one side to the other.

Digital_Dad

Cavy Slave
This is 2 - 2x5's, 2 - 1x2's and 2 - 1x2's with shelves.
Does that count?

Tara1

Cavy Slave

FluffyGuinea

Cavy Slave
View attachment 41297

This is a very old pic of my cage set up, I've changed a few things and added a support system across the top and use solid sheets of fleece on both sides but it's the same amount of grid space as when I first made it in this pic.

It's basically two 2x3 areas with a 2x7 run, but I usually call it a 4x7 "ish" C&C. I think it comes out to around 30sq ft or so, and houses my two boars. I'm horrible with math though if anybody wants to correct me lol!

Is your base for the entire thing coroplast, or are you using something else for the run?

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
Is your base for the entire thing coroplast, or are you using something else for the run?

I started with a large tarp, then layer of uhaul/towels then fleece which worked well. There was never an issue with guinea pigs and the carpeting as long as I kept the fleece tucked under the edges but they also never pee/poop down there. They use the 2x3 areas up top for toileting and the run as well...a run lol. I did have one of the 2x3's as a large hay area for them but since they are both going through puberty at the moment, I have made a hay rack for now to give them more room to separate if needed. Usually Marshmallow takes the left side now and Chocolate takes the right.

When I got my puppy, I put a bottom on it however since she could easily bump into the cage and move it and since putting a bottom on it I have added a coroplast bottom. Nothing fancy, but it's sturdy enough now to keep the boys safe from my inquiring pup who ALWAYS wants to play with them. They have some weird love relationship going on, I can't explain it.

ETA: that pic was taken like literally the next day after I got my pigs. I emergency rescued them late at night, so it's gone through a few changes but the size is still exactly the same.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Can someone help me figuire out the sq feet for my cage? :D

It's a 2x7, with a 3x2 kitchen, 0.5x4 bridge and 1x2 sleeping area. Let's see those Monster cages!

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Mine is 30 square foot over all for my two pigs :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@CandyApple

how many sq feet is mine? Can you help?

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Sure :mad:madelineelaine :)
OK, So what I did was got a tape measure and measured how many centimeters the sides of the cage were.
Then as 30 cm= 1 foot, I rounded mine off to the nearest foot
E.g My cage is 187 cm long. So its about 6 foot and 3 or 4 inches. So 6.4 feet.
Do the same with the other side. Then multiply the two together and that's your square feet.

Sorry that I can't help by telling you what your is as I have no experience with grids and don't know how long they are... But if you give me the length of one grid I can have it worked out for you in 5 minutes :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
grids are 14 inches, @CandyApple

so that would make my base about 30 inchesx100 inches then I think

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Main floor area: sixteen square feet.
kitchen area: 7.4 square feet.
Sleeping area: 2.6 square feet.
You have about... 26 square feet over all. Official monster cage stamp being sent to your address now :D

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
No fighting with your pigs @madelineelaine!!!
If your pigs really didn't like each other but didn't fight, they could actually live without ever having to see each other. They could split the territories down the middle and you make a few alternative arrangements such as two water bottles, two food bowls, two hay bags! It would be quite comical to see two pigs glaring at each other from either side of a border of toys and fleece!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Well considering I have a male/female pair (he's neutered, before you guys prepare to behead me) and when she goes into heat it's kind of funny.

They run and make a fuss around the cage, he tries to mount her and she wants nothing of it. Honestly, they spend at least 75% of there time in the 1x2.

I rearrange my bed, spend hundreds of dollars and spend days building a huge cage, and they spend most of there time in the smallest part.

:grumpy:

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Oh! Hahaha! They would do that! Typical pigs :p My two spend most of the time upstairs as well, but venture down for vegetables and water twice a day. But that's about it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.