Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Confused about the cages

bambi2023

Cavy Gazer
I am new and I have been looking at the threads and advice giving but it confuses me some. My guinea pig I adopted from the humane society here she is 3 years old and they aren’t sure she was ever handled before but when previous owners got her they put her in a cage by herself from the time was young. I have been trying to give her the best. I initially had a extra large deluxe living world cage but not long ago got the metal squares to put up a larger and better cage. She doesn’t like being picked up but to tell the truth I am nervous and she may pick that up and not like me picking her up. I have incontinence pads for bedding right now but know she needs better bedding. She is in the floor doesn’t like taking hay from a hay rack or bag so it’s always on the floor. It gets everywhere. I not sure how to make kitchens or separate areas for her. I don’t want to put her back in the living world cage. I have been taking her out in an area outside of her cage but she just hides in her hut and doesn’t do anything. I set that area up with veggies and hay and huts and everything but wasn’t really moving around. The incontinence pads look so dirty from pee and I spot clean several times a day and as well give fresh water a few times a day. I don’t know what to do. I live in an apartment building so I get a lot of the hay out from the pads and pee by rinsing it with the shower head before I wash it. Does anyone have any advice for me to help. I guess I am not up to much kn the terminology for guinea pig cages sometimes I find it confusing but I want the very best for her and learn. I took 2 books out of the library to read them they have a lot of information on guinea pigs

I used fleece over incontinence pads. You can get fleece at a fabric store fairly cheap, especially when the ugly patterns go on sale if you don't really care about that.

The only way, and I mean ONLY way your pig will get used to you is time. You MUST be patient, calm, move slowly and deliberately, and without overfeeding, yummy treats are a great way to gain your pigs trust. But most importantly, and I'll say it again, is time. It will not happen overnight, and may not happen in months. I have a fairly new guy, Jack, whom I've had since mid October. He is still extremely skittish and even though he is starting to trust and open up, he is easily spooked. I tossed a paper bag in their cage last night and he bolted and was inconsolable and terrified for the rest of the night.

As far as they hay, every boy I've ever had LOVES hay. Eats it, plays in it, sleeps in it...it's bedding, its food and its a toy. It will get everywhere but they love it and I won't do it any other way. If you can take you incontinence pads outside and shake them before laundering (this is what I do) it will greatly help the excess material in your washer. Also, horse bags will help with this.

Thanks so much for all the info. It will help a lot. I will make sure I go to a fabric store and get some fleece. I wasn’t sure what to do as everywhere wanted a lot $$$ for a small fleece blanket. I am gonna work in all those things and take my time

Thanks so much for all the info. It will help a lot. I will make sure I go to a fabric store and get some fleece. I wasn’t sure what to do as everywhere wanted a lot $$$ for a small fleece blanket. I am gonna work in all those things and take my time
Make sure you get the right kind of fleece. There are countless threads here about fleece, and it will help you make a much better educated decision on what to get. Also bear in mind that fleece does take some prep work before it does the job intended, but with the right work put in it'll do just fine.

I also use fleece over washable incontinence pads. I prefer the anti-pill plush and Joann Fabric usually has a sale or some remnants at good prices. The hay and hair doesn’t stick quite as much.

Another option just for the hay area is the small chenille bath mats at Target. For some reason the hay and hair come out of those fairly well.

I also like the white plush cloths at Dollar Tree that are in the auto section for polishing cars. They’re soft plush microfiber and my guinea pigs have all loved snuggling into them and they wash well and wear for years.

Thanks so much. I am gonna go out and look for those type of things. Last night I went to a dollar store here and got some fleece blankets pee pads and a small brush and dust pan to help clean her cage. It’s a start but yesterday I did a deep clean of her cage which have been doing weekly now and I put a fleece blanket after I washed them on top of the incontinence pads then I put a small fleece with a pee pad underneath in the corner where I put her pellets and hay as well where I put her water dish beside her water bottle I had an old pillow case put two pee pads in it and put it down under the water. I noticed when she is eating her pellets and eating hay she pees a lot there as well as drinking water. Under her hut I folded up a small fleece blanket found at the dollar store after washing I folded it up with a pee pad underneath because she does pee in there too.. I got her a small cat bed before that has a small wall like thing around it nice and soft I put a towel on top and she is so loving it. All the small fleece in those spots I put there so is easy for me to pick them up and replace them if needed it gets too bad. It’s a start but have gotten a lot further with her cage than I have before. I have 4 things coming for her as well like a tunnel a cozy bed and a big hideaway nice and soft just waiting for it to come in. When I put her in her cage she went right under the towel and was moving around in the bed under it. I hope that’s okay for her

Attachments

022F6F92-6EF4-41FD-ACF3-3095FC1E58D8.jpeg 6C046C4A-235B-49C8-A0A2-718E5694206D.jpeg
I also use fleece over washable incontinence pads. I prefer the anti-pill plush and Joann Fabric usually has a sale or some remnants at good prices. The hay and hair doesn’t stick quite as much.

Another option just for the hay area is the small chenille bath mats at Target. For some reason the hay and hair come out of those fairly well.

I also like the white plush cloths at Dollar Tree that are in the auto section for polishing cars. They’re soft plush microfiber and my guinea pigs have all loved snuggling into them and they wash well and wear for years.

Attachments

92065547-7FA3-4350-A390-0B0F254E0A5D.jpeg
You have a nice roomy space for her.

A few other ideas that are inexpensive are using the stackable storage bins from Dollar Tree for tunnels. Flip them over. The ends are angled so the guinea pig can crawl underneath. My pigs have loved those.
Confused about the cages

And instead of pellet cups that get dumped over, I use a thrift-store stoneware coffee cup. The old-fashioned short cups with straight sides work best. Bend a paper clip into a “U” shape, curl the open ends so they hook on the cage. Then put the “U” through the handle and hook it so it hangs just off the floor. It will tilt a bit and stays clean.
Confused about the cages

You have a nice roomy space for her.

A few other ideas that are inexpensive are using the stackable storage bins from Dollar Tree for tunnels. Flip them over. The ends are angled so the guinea pig can crawl underneath. My pigs have loved those.
View attachment 110800

And instead of pellet cups that get dumped over, I use a thrift-store stoneware coffee cup. The old-fashioned short cups with straight sides work best. Bend a paper clip into a “U” shape, curl the open ends so they hook on the cage. Then put the “U” through the handle and hook it so it hangs just off the floor. It will tilt a bit and stays clean.
View attachment 110801
Those are great ideas. Am going to the dollar tree today so I am gonna look for them and check them out. I am going Monday to a thrift store as well. Thanks so much. I have also order some things as well that are coming in too

S--L--O--W DOWN A BIT WITH ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE BUYING! Her cage is already too crowded (just my opinion). She has no room to do zoomies and get exercise. She really won't need much that you can't make yourself, or there are many things that can be repurposed as well.

I have had cavies on/off for 30 years and I don't think I have ever had one who played with toys! On, yes, I tried like most people do and in the process wasted a lot of money,. Wait a bit until your piggy's personality starts to develop, see what she likes, and then go from there. My C&C cage is a 5x2 with a 2x2 overhanging loft, originally built for two males. Rascal died about 18 mos., ago and Rafi is now the sole occupant. The cage is sparse, and he has lots of running room.

Cavies are herd animals and really need a pal to be complete.. I simply can't afford another cavy at the present time. Rafi seems to be a happy, healthy little soul since his cage is adjacent to my desk in my home office and he gets lots of attention.

If you want to PM me and provide an email addy, I have a digital book and some other materials that you might find interesting.

I can feel your excitement! You're now among the "cavy crazies".

S--L--O--W DOWN A BIT WITH ALL THE THINGS YOU ARE BUYING! Her cage is already too crowded (just my opinion). She has no room to do zoomies and get exercise. She really won't need much that you can't make yourself, or there are many things that can be repurposed as well.

I have had cavies on/off for 30 years and I don't think I have ever had one who played with toys! On, yes, I tried like most people do and in the process wasted a lot of money,. Wait a bit until your piggy's personality starts to develop, see what she likes, and then go from there. My C&C cage is a 5x2 with a 2x2 overhanging loft, originally built for two males. Rascal died about 18 mos., ago and Rafi is now the sole occupant. The cage is sparse, and he has lots of running room.

Cavies are herd animals and really need a pal to be complete.. I simply can't afford another cavy at the present time. Rafi seems to be a happy, healthy little soul since his cage is adjacent to my desk in my home office and he gets lots of attention.

If you want to PM me and provide an email addy, I have a digital book and some other materials that you might find interesting.

I can feel your excitement! You're now among the "cavy crazies".
HI thanks so much. Its very true. I just want the best for her as she came into the humane society here when they got her just put her in a cage all by herself. I will take a look at the cage and try to open it up more. Some point soon I am gonna order more squares so I can increase the size or whatever so she has more room and more comfy.

It helps to have tunnels rather than hideys so they can run straight through. Hanging fleece dividers is another way of giving the feel of a hidey without restricting floor space.

You can also make a little shelf from an extra grid. Just bend the grid into a “L” shape, flip it over, and use binder clips to attach the flat side to the side of the cage. Then drape fabric over the shelf to make a hidey that doesn’t interfere with floor space. That’s one of Millie’s favorite spots and it looks like a little cabana.

Confused about the cages

I am gonna see what I can do with that. I have a bugger tunnel for her that should be here this week coming. It would be big enough to hide in too. I am going to a thrift store on Monday gonna be looking for a 6 foot table or something can use to raise her cage safely: thanks so much

Your piggy is lucky that amount of space and the cage is really starting to come together. When I lived in an apartment, it was difficult to find a place to shake the hay from the fleece. After shaking, I also brushed it with a silicone brush. That was great for removing the embedded fur, but is a bit time consuming. I ended up brushing it in the kitchen or at a park. In the kitchen, it helps to sit on a low stool to be close to the ground, which decreased the fur flying around.

I noticed you are already using fleece and want to make sure you are wicking it before using. There are a number of threads on this forum about the wicking process. One of my favorite YouTube guinea pig channels is Squeak Dreams. Sarah, the channel creator, said multiple times the number 1 problem for those new to fleece is that they wash it but do not wick it.

Some of my new favorites are the plastic bunk beds and 5-layer reusable diaper inserts. I just discovered 8-layer booster pads on Amazon and will look into it for my 7-year old piggy, Lily. The pads are made of fleece with multiple layers of absorbent material, just like the liners and pee pads we use for guinea pigs. You can find them on Amazon or Temu. They are a wonderful size for lining the plastic bunk beds, made popular on The Pig Room, another YouTube favorite. Temu has the lowest prices and best selection of the bunk beds. They are listed as organizing shelves and are popular in Asia for kitchen or bathroom storage. Be sure to get the larger bunk beds and the inserts wash and dry really well. I first saw the bunk beds years ago on this site but couldn't find them. If you need help, message me as I bought multiple bunk beds and reusable diaper inserts before finding the ones that work well together.

1715888660398.png
1715888823430.png

I first saw the bunk beds years ago on this site but couldn't find them.
Great post! I appreciate other Vets who stay around to share their diverse opinions and sometimes unique "finds".

I'm attaching some bunk bed pics that I have collected over the years. Are any of them the same ones that you were looking for? #3 is the bent-grid idea.

Attachments

Bunk beds2.jpg Bunk beds3.jpg Bunk beds4.jpg Bunk beds5.jpg Bunk beds6.jpg