Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Cage lining

Asura91

Cavy Gazer
I've recently purchased a new hutch cage home. Unfortuntley I didn't notice that there was no lining to the bottom of it. Can anyone give me some advice on lining the cage with material? I've looked at some small tarps online but I'm not sure if something like vinyl is the right material. It's about 57" x 22" x 35" in dimension btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linoleum will work. So will a shower curtain, but you may have to put a solid base underneath it and make sure the pigs can't get to it to chew it.

I have a homemade grid cage. The floor is a piece of wood wainscoting, basically light plywood. I attached 2x2s around inside the edge like a frame. It’s lined with a piece of quilted waterproof mattress cover. The cage fits inside the frame and keeps everything in place. It’s especially nice if you have pigs that burrow - they can’t get under the liner.

I use fleece and chenille bath mats over the top for washable bedding that’s easy to change out.

Cage lining

Puppy Pee Pads that are disposable. Underneath that Gripping Mating sold at cheap discount stores in smaller table placemat size rectangles or on a larger roll for easy cutting. This holds the pee pads in place for easy replacing. Underneath that again like the timber hutches have a slatted or solid floor for air circulation. Timber will do this as a natural fibre whereas plastic cannot. Also, Puppy Pee Mats that are washable too. So many options and choices to choose from. Yay!

Just a caution about disposable puppy pee pads, they contain plastics. Guinea pigs are chewers and could end up with an intestinal blockage. It would be a good precaution to put a layer of fleece over the peed pads and secure it so the pigs can’t burrow underneath.