Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor Time floor time in cage?

flowerpaw

Cavy Slave
I've got 2 piggies, Ten & Donna, in a ~15 sq feet cage. I'm a student and am pretty busy, so I was wondering if I can just do floor time in their cage? Whenever I put them outside before, they just sat there and didn't really run, and the area was about as big/smaller than their cage anyway.
Also does anyone have suggestions for DIY guinea pig toys? For some reason mine don't care for paper bags or toilet rolls, the only thing that has worked so far is new hideys.
Thank you!!

My pigs don't get floor time per se......but their cage is roughly 40 square ft. I change my pigs hideys on a regular basis so they don't get bored, and add different cardboard items for them to chew frequently.

Woah that's awesome! Yeah I do rearrange their cage and switch around their hideys pretty frequently. I'm thinking of expanding their cage but don't really know how to deal with all the laundry, do you have any tips?

My system is that I have enough bedding (read: incontinence pads and fleece.) for four bedding changes. I rotate their bedding every 48-72 hours (this depends on weather, illness and other factors, and only experience will give you the ability to gauge this).

Basically I cover their main cage (4x2 grids) with 2 overlapping incontinence pads. This is where their beds and hay pile are, as well as their water bottles. Then they have a main area another 4 grids x 5 grids long, and that is also incontinence pads covered with fleece. The cost outlay initially is rather large, but it all lasts for years if you can swing it. The main area bedding is only changed once a week, as they don't make anywhere near as much a mess out there as they do in their cage. I'll see if I can share a photo here of my setup.

floor time in cage?

Nice setup Guinea Pig Papa!

Mine is only a little more than 8 sq feet. Mine is okay with floor time. She basically explores for a n finds a hidey and snoozes. She’s pretty lazy, doesn’t run much at all.

However, she gets excited about her snuffle ball and snuffle mat. Both are DIY fleece toys. The ball is made like the one in this video: Snuffle Ball DIY. The video instructions say to use zip ties to pull the fleece together. I used strips of fleece tied tightly together and it’s holding up fine.

A few years back I posted sewing instructions for a snuffle mat under the Homemade Toys and Hideys forum.