Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Floor Time Loves going under the couch and bed

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
My youngest, Walter, loves floor time and recently discovered after a year of running around the living room, that there is a whole other place called the bedroom that he can explore.

He LOVES to zoom straight to the bedroom and play under my bed. I was okay with this for a bit until I learned that, of course, he has peed under my bed.

He is also crazy for going under and behind the couch. I blocked his access to behind the couch but he still squeezes under it. My main concerns is him pooping/peeing on the carpet. I have extra fleece but I rather not have to layer my floor so he doesn't make a mess.

Any suggestions? Ideally I want him to not go under these things, but blocking access completely will be just as difficult. Plus he has a way of getting around such obstacles.

When I have floor time I set up a large area of grids on the floor and throw down a lot of fleece or chenille bath mats. Most homes have small areas for water pipes and drains, heating registers with sharp edges or grates, electrical cords and outlets, and any of these could end up causing an injury or worse. I also don’t leave the room when she’s on the floor. Call me a helicopter parent, but there’s never been an injury.

I have put up grids and he will knock them down or squeeze thru any gaps. I tried stuffing gaps with blankets and pillows and he gets under them anyway! He is not allowed under the couch and it is a bit low to the ground, but he insists on army crawling underneath it.

Pool noodles can make good barriers to the underside of couches. They're cheap, and come in various sizes. They're easy to cut, and you just wedge them under the edge of the couch.

I never thought of pool noodles. That sounds like a good way to build a maze for floor time. I’ve been rolling up chenille bath mats but they unroll too easily. Another item for the shopping list.

I never thought of pool noodles. That sounds like a good way to build a maze for floor time. I’ve been rolling up chenille bath mats but they unroll too easily. Another item for the shopping list.
We live in a small house and it is definitely overcrowded. 😵‍💫 There is NO way that I can block off every escape route/hiding place in multiple rooms! However, young cavies are SO curious that they will find anything new to be fascinating. I used to put them in the bathroom and block the exit door, sometimes adding tunnels or hideys. That keeps the mess contained in a relatively small area that is easy to clean. The adults will most often just head for the warm radiator in the winter.