Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Is this acceptable?

CaviesPrincess

Cavy Slave
hi guys. I came from a mall earlier and found a pet store inside. i checked to see if they are selling hay and they say don't. so here I bought my piggies this Vitakraft pellets with vit.C and some amounts of hay. is this one acceptable for piggies since it's new to me and I could not read this language. also, I am frustrated because they are out pellets but the place where i buy pellets and hay are far way to go. please help me i am feeding my piggies the right thing. thanks lol also, i saw this powder in that petstore and the guy said it's good for guinea pigs. is really good for them? I am a bit terrified if some piggie owners would buy and use this for their piggies without knowing its harmful effects? thanks so much for answering. God bless. 20130405_163433.jpg20130405_203740.jpg20130405_203756.jpg

P.S. sorry i do not know how to rotate the picture here.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
this is a weird question,
But is that a mushroom??!?!

MummyOf5Piggies

Cavy Slave
I am not sure about the powder stuff, But I wouldn't use it. As for pellets, they should be only plain, no colorful bits or seeds and such. For hay have you tried a local feed store? I got 50lbs of hay for 13$ at mine. Make sure to ask for timothy if you do.:p

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
this is a weird question,
But is that a mushroom??!?!

If you mean the red oblong shape, it's probably a dried pepper or strawberry.

Is the powder for a water-free bath? If so, I would avoid it. We don't really know what's in it and I wouldn't want to take a chance of the pig trying to groom themselves and ingesting whatever the powder is. Since it's a powder, they might also inhale some of it, which can be very dangerous for them.

There are products for piggy and rabbit baths. They usually do fine in a water bath as long as it's only about an inch or so of water.

soccerchickgrp5

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you mean the red oblong shape, it's probably a dried pepper or strawberry.

Is the powder for a water-free bath? If so, I would avoid it. We don't really know what's in it and I wouldn't want to take a chance of the pig trying to groom themselves and ingesting whatever the powder is. Since it's a powder, they might also inhale some of it, which can be very dangerous for them.

There are products for piggy and rabbit baths. They usually do fine in a water bath as long as it's only about an inch or so of water.

No the white mushroom looking thingy. I would stay away from the food because all they basically need is pellets, unlike dogs. No seeds(choking hazard) or corn.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use to feed that food before I knew better, It made my boys obese and created tooth problems for them.

That bag is for sure the one I used (there's only that, bird seed like stuff or coloured food for piggies in nz) and I think it's Vitakraft from memory?

Either way. It's a crappy thing to feed piggies and can give them some health issues. Sorry to say.

couchon

Cavy Slave
I have to strongly agree with the others. These pellets (as well as most other stuff sold in pet stores) is really bad for their health and should not be fed.

Kleenmama's or Oxbow and one of the Mazuri pellets are the ONLY acceptable pellets.

SimbaDC650

Cavy Slave
Stick to hay, pellets and fresh veggies! Healthy happy pigs!

CaviesPrincess

Cavy Slave
thanks. I guess I learned from your statements. This would be a warning to those who would buy these stuffs for their guinea pigs and those are really pricey! I guess I really have to travel far for their pellets and hay, well it's not really a big deal for me if it's for my piggies' safety. Thanks a lot for helping! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.