Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Is a Boy or a Girl Guinea Pig better?

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Ok, I think I get that the vet is expensive, and that the GPs are hard to take care of. I have another question: What reason(s) would I need to go to the vet for? I'm sorry if I sound dumb with this question, but you never know, it might need to go to the vet and I'd have NO idea, so, please answer this question with nice responces? (I'm sorry, I don't take mean very well without almost crying. :( it's a problem I have, you know growing with 'hormones' and whatnot)

SDPiggylvr's answer was perfect, as you should NEVER "wait and see" with a guinea pig. They don't get better on their own, ever. I just wanted to give you some examples. In the first year of having them, my pigs went to the vet for:

1. Suspected mites /initial "wellness" visit soon after adoption
2. Strange wheezing/grunting sound (I suspected some kind of obstruction, the vet diagnosed allergies):
3. Strange breathing/no interest in food/general "not looking right" (this one turned out to be fatal - a ruptured undetected tumor :sad:)

Other very common things I've seen on this board are: URI, UTI, bloat, loss of appetite, scabs/scratching, eye problems, injury from fighting/falling.

I hope this helps!

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Even rescue guinea pigs can come home sick so it is important to bring both the piggies to a vet visit about 5-7 days after you get them. AND you have to keep bringing them back for a yearly vet visit. Once they are over 5 years many people recommend twice yearly check ups as they are getting older. Please be sure to invest in a scale! But buying the best quality food will make all the difference in their health.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, did the question I have sound dumb? Becaues I understand if it did. I'd still like some more reasons to go to the vet. I'm still doing my research, and I'm still doing my chores, and saving up allowence (typo?) money! So, I'd deeply appreciate it if you answer the question that I asked.

linshad02

Cavy Slave
I'd still like some more reasons to go to the vet.

I am going to answer your question with a question.
Do you think that your mom asked for a bunch of reasons why it is a good idea to take you to the doctor?
Answer: Probably not. She listened to people who know what they are talking about and trusted them when they told her that you need wellness check ups and such.
Guinea pigs aren't as hearty as a dog or cat. They can't fight off illness like humans can. Common sense dictates that you listen to the people that know what they are talking about.
Pigs need wellness check ups to make sure there is not an underlying illness, just as women need a mammogram to check for breast cancer.
I don't know how many different ways this can be put before you understand.
No one is telling you to never get a guinea pig. We all just want you to be informed. As I stated in my previous post, we are also trying to avoid having to rescue your pig from a shelter or craigslist when you get bored of it or when your parents decide that it's too much.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are just one of those animals that are more easily prone to health issues and that isn't a problem as long as you take the time to find a good vet and are willing to take your pig to the vet right away and are willing to pay the costs if you see any symptoms. It's as easy as that. Taking your guinea pig to the vet asap when you see a symptom is very important.

For example: Lightning went downhill in just a matter of two days. We called every single emergency vet there was withing a distance of 2 hours. None of them did guinea pigs. The only thing we could do was try to make it until Monday when we could schedule an actual appointment Since the vets aren't open on weekends. We did all we could to keep him living. He was miserable, lethargic, had discharge coming from his eyes, diarrhea and wasn't eating at all. Unfortunately since there was no vet to go to, he didn't make it. It was a very very very sad thing. I really couldn't believe it. It just had been two days and that made all the difference.

I hope this tells you how serious it is to take your guinea pig to the vet even when it doesn't seem very serious.

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
Thanks, did the question I have sound dumb? Becaues I understand if it did. I'd still like some more reasons to go to the vet. I'm still doing my research, and I'm still doing my chores, and saving up allowence (typo?) money! So, I'd deeply appreciate it if you answer the question that I asked.

Just wondering, but did you actually read any of the links that sdpiggylvr posted? Hint: "signs of illness" = reasons to go to the vet.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Unexpected reason to go to the vet - one of our boars developed a tumor or cyst in his ear which blocked his ear canal. He had to have it removed or it would have caused infections. That surgery alone and his antibiotic eardrops ran about $400, and this was in a young fellow (about a year and a half old). That was WITHOUT having any pathlogy done on it to determine whether or not it was cancer. (It has not come back so we may just have gotten lucky.)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
guineapigsrock1, I applaud your willingness to get informed and please understand that the people here are simply giving you the ins and outs of guinea pig ownership. It's not that they are trying to dissuade you but you should know that guinea pigs are not the easiest/care-free animal to own. They are trying to make sure you know what you are getting into.

Some people enter into it without the slightest idea of what it takes to own a guinea pig and find themselves quickly overwhelmed. I'm so glad you took the time to actually find out some information about guinea pig care.

That being said, here is my answer to your question: trips to the vet could be for any number of reasons - from obvious distress in your guinea pig to simply "acting differently". Here is where listening to and taking into account, what people here are saying, comes in very handy. People who have experience with guinea pigs are very familiar with what is considered "normal" guinea pig behavior. Since you've never owned one before, you might not realize that a certain behavior isn't normal.

I've owned guinea pigs for 5 years and I have found this site extremely helpful in getting advice or simply getting information about guinea pigs as issues come up.

As people have said, guinea pigs are prey animals by nature so they instinctually hide their symptoms so as not to appear weakened. In a lot of cases, sadly, by the time any symptoms show up, it's almost too late. This is another reason to listen and ask questions.

Guinea pigs are way more expenive to own than I ever imagined they would be. My oldest pig Shammy had surgery last summer to have a tumor removed. It was $500 just for the surgery alone. Not to mention the cost to get the biopsy. Thankfully, it wasn't cancer but this fall, the tumor was back and he had surgery again. This time there were complications and it was $800 + the biopsy. This time he wasn't so lucky, the tumor was indeed cancer. It was removed and he and is now on pain meds to manage his pain day to day.

This isn't meant to scare you but just a reminder that unexpected expenses can occur. When you have guinea pigs, you can't just say, "Oh well, it's just an animal. Too bad, so sad". When you are a guinea pig owner, you do whatever you can to find a way to pay for expenses that come up.

I would make sure your parents are aware of the possibility of such expenses occuring. You said your mom was on board, which is great but I would make sure she knows of the possibility.

Many people here have a "guinea pig fund" put aside. This is where they put aside a little bit of money each week for the sole purpose of paying for expenses that occur with the guinea pigs. This way they know that they won't have to be scrambling to come up with money at the time. This is a great idea that you might want to do. If you save a little of your allowance each week as a "guinea pig fund" it shows your parents that you are trying to be very responsible with your new guinea pigs.

I love that you know you want to build a C&C cage. If you haven't already, make sure you check the size requirements for two pigs. Also, petfinder.com has many many lists of shelters and rescues near you that you can look at to adopt your new pigs.

Last edited:

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
Just wondering, but did you actually read any of the links that sdpiggylvr posted? Hint: "signs of illness" = reasons to go to the vet.

Yes, but I'd still like more reasons. One post with tons of reasons is not as good as tons of post with tons of reasons, so I'd like more reasons to go to the vet.;)

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I am going to answer your question with a question.
Do you think that your mom asked for a bunch of reasons why it is a good idea to take you to the doctor?
Answer: Probably not. She listened to people who know what they are talking about and trusted them when they told her that you need wellness check ups and such.

Yes, well, my mom has had me for a long, long, long time, so I think she knows when to take me to the doctor. A lot of times I tell her I need to go to the doctor, but guinea pigs can't talk and tell me when, so I need signs of illness. I need reasons for the guinea pig to go to the vet so that I know if it's sick, and I don't want to find out it had a problem after it died! So you see why I need reasons. I'm not a guinea pig expert, and I don't know anyone who knows a lot about guinea pigs, so that's why I'm asking the people of the internet.:D

Andrmgic

Cavy Slave
Yes, but I'd still like more reasons. One post with tons of reasons is not as good as tons of post with tons of reasons, so I'd like more reasons to go to the vet.;)

There is no set list of "reasons to go to the vet"..

If your animal is sick and you don't want him or her to die, then you have to go to the vet.

Here's a list for you that may have been covered elsewhere already..

1. weight loss (pigs should be weighed every week.. losing more than 2 ounces from one week to another can indicate a medical problem)
2. Excessive scratching
3. Bald spots that are not behind the ears
4. Blood in urine or poop
5. repeated sneezing
6. Unusual lumps on the guinea pig's body
7. Eating less than usual or not eating
8. Moving around less than usual
9. Not running away from you
10. Swelling of the feet
11. squealing in pain when touching him or her
12. Runny or poorly shaped poop
13. Limping around
14. Hopping around instead of walking

With guinea pigs, you can't afford to ignore any potential symptoms of illness because they can go from seemingly healthy to dead in 24-48 hours and they cannot get better on their own, they require medical attention to have any chance of getting better.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave

So, you want multiple people to repeat the same list over and over again? I am not being mean, but I guarantee you that is is going to be the same exact list. Maybe you should start reading up on guinealynx.com also. They list out symptoms of specific diseases and illnesses.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
People have given you plenty of reasons to take the pig to the vet. Why do you continue to ask the same question? If you spend time reading the answers rather than asking the question repeatedly, maybe you will get a better idea.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay well, you've asked the same question four times and gotten plenty of answers. So now it's time for you to put some effort in. Go through and write down all the answers you were given as to why a guinea pig would need to see a vet. Post it to your fridge and study it.

Talk with your mom and dad about the responsibilities and potential issues (cost, medical issues, etc) of owning a guinea pig. Show them this forum. It's important for you to know what it takes but it's also important for them to be aware of what might come up. Since they will be the ones providing most of the money for the care of the guinea pig, it's important for them to know what they might be up against.

Looking at it all, they might change their mind about letting you own one (or two) but it's better to know that now than down the road when an issue comes up. I think you would feel terrible if you ended up getting a pig whom your parents decide down the road, they can't afford to bring to the vet so it's better to be upfront with them about what it could cost.

This is a living creature so it's important to not let your desire to own one, override the responsiblity for its care. If your parents see how much it could cost and decide they can't afford it, it's better that it goes to someone who can afford its care, than for you to adopt one because you "really really want one" only for it to suffer later because you couldn't afford its care of because you got bored of it or didn't want to take care of it anymore.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I agree completely with CavyMama. What other reasons are you looking for? I'm not trying to be mean, but is it not fairly straightforward?

When you ask a question and get an answer, you have to take the next step and put your answer to use. We can't tell you how to use your acquired knowledge - that's your job.

We've given you plenty of information and advice. Now, you need to talk to your parents about all that's been said in this thread. If you want their support in this matter, they need to fully understand all the responsibilities that come with a guinea pig's care. Springing something on them at the moment of need is not going to go well.

You could simply show them this thread or even type up/write down the answers and information you've been given. Sit down with them and present all you know about guinea pig care. If they ask you questions, be prepared to answer. If this pet is to be yours, you have an obligation to make sure your parents know all that will be required of you and them.

If it isn't apparent, I really want to stress that you need your parents' support. It is too frequent a story we have heard - a guinea pig is caught in the middle of a child and the child's parents who are unwilling to pay for vet bills, proper food, a spacious cage, or a friend. These are basic needs that must be fulfilled.

Good luck with your parents!

KingBoris

Cavy Slave
What a fun thread!

Guinea pigs need to go to the vet for many different issues.I'm sorry but if you can't understand what we are saying then you are certainly not ready to get guinea pigs.

My personal experience

1.My sisters piggy who I cared for while she was away suddenly went flat/tired and unresponsive, I raced him to the vet only for him to die while getting assessed, that was $110 because it was an after hours consult

2.I had a boar who had what appeared to be a minor fall(easy since guinea pigs are scared when they feel threatened or dont trust you)
After having a cast fitted, getting an internal and external fungal infection and severe bumblefoot and impaction,and blood posioning my poor pig had to be put to sleep and I had spent about $3000, this was all because I had no idea how to find a cavy savvy vet and he was put through many wrong treatments resulting in him being so sick he could not survive, thankfully I have learnt my lesson and only go to cavy savvy vets.

3.another of my boars had an abscess on his back-after months of treatment that totalled up to over $500

4.The same boy as in 3. had a respiratory infection, medication and vet visit for that was over $100

I have many more stories but havent got the time to type this all down as I have 3 years of stories for 49 piggies lol, I have had tons of vet visits and trust me even when I had a couple i was still at the vet alot more than I expected.

My latest boy is Simba, he developed an abscess that didnt respond to flushing, the vet inserted a drainage tube which didnt work and the infection returned, 3 different anitbiotics have also been tried and that failed, he also had full abscess removal but yet again the abscess is making a comeback, we have now had swabs of the puss done to send off to a lab for testing to see what sort of infection it is and hopefully we can treat it,
This happened for no reason and he was seemingly healthy and the next day I found a lump while doing the health checks, so far Simba is nicknamed my $1000 dollar piggy as that is what he has cost me since october last year.

I strongly advise you to read up a whole lot more as guinea pigs are very complex animals.

guineapigsrock1

Cavy Gazer
I'm sorry for asking the question so many times. I just really want the best care for my guinea pigs when I get them! But, my mom said I shouldn't get one 'till the summer, so I think I can wait. Now you're probably thinking What about when school starts again? My mom said I'll probably be used to them by then, and I'd make them part of my schedual. Now you're probably thinking What if she joins choir and they have the musical again? I will get there when I get there. I also talked to my mom about the vegetables, and she said that maybe I should start eating them too:D! I also want to give them great medical care and I don't want to sit and watch them die (like with one hamster I had who had a tumor and I didn't know we could go to the vet, I actually saw her stop breathing)! I also really want to know how to properly handle them (another hamster story: My sister was holding my hamster and dropped her, then the hamster died:weepy:). I don't want what happened to the hamster in the story to happen to one or both of the guinea pigs! I'm sorry if I am asking to much of you guys. I'm also sorry that I have two more questions! My dad puts, for lack of a better word, poison stuff on the grass. How are the guinea pigs supposed to play outside with poison on the ground? The other qestion: What if you're sick? How are you supposed to play with them? Once again I really want to say I'm sorry, and I'm sorry that I have too many questions, but as I said before, I only want the best for the piggies.

Last edited:

linshad02

Cavy Slave
Don't be sorry for asking questions. That is how we all learn.
Please just show a little initiative and search the forums. All of the questions you have are either in a sticky at the beginning of each section or in a thread somewhere on the forum. The people here are extremely smart. They know what is best for the pigs.
I have spent countless hours reading the topics in this forum. I made all of the classic mistakes that new, uninformed owners make. I now know what to do and not to do, when the time comes for a pig to come into my life again.
This feels strangely like the saying, "beating a dead horse". The same questions over and over. Again, please take some time to read.

Llamasomething

Cavy Slave
I have experience with both males and females, and while females are supposed to be easier to bond, I know a pair that bickered for as long as I knew them, and even after months the older one would try to nip at the little one's ears.

It really depends on the piggies.

I would suggest adopting from a rescue a pair that is already together, that way you won't have to wait the 3 weeks to quarantine, you can ask the foster home about their personality, any past medical issues, and learn what they love and how to take care of them quicker than trying to try to get a baby used to you. In my area there are ALWAYS bonded pairs waiting for adoption, and they don't get adopted as quickly because people don't want to separate them.

From my experience with males and females, whenever my friend would babysit my 2 boys he would always remark that they smelled a lot worse than his 2 girls smelled. The girls poops were HALF the size of the boys poops, so they didn't stay wet and smelly for as long, but that may also depend on the piggies, as I've seen males with more girl-sized poops than my boys.

Like everyone is saying, it's a huge responsibility, and it does get tiring after awhile, cleaning the big cages and trying to find time to let them out for floor time, making sure they get veggies every day. I know after about a month or two of having 2 piggies I started to get worn out, because I didn't realize how much work they are.

I know you might feel attacked with all of these people lecturing you, and I know how that feels because I get lectured a lot here too, but it is for the best in the end, we all just care a lot about your piggies :)

As for cat-proofing, I have a very terretorial cat we found as a stray, so his hunting instincts never really went away. We just keep the piggies in my bedroom (It isn't reccomended, because you need a high traffic room for them, but as long as there are piggies in my room my room always has people in it petting and cuddling the piggies) that way when we aren't home we can shut the door, and when we are home we can heavily supervise the cat. If you are going to have it out in the open, you can use zip-ties and connectors to make a very nice lid for your cage. We used to have a lid, and we cut off the bottom of a connector so that it could just rest on top of the cage instead of clicking into place, and we could open it like it had hinges because of the zip ties. It could safely hold a cat if one were to jump on top.

Coroplast is available at most Home Depots that I'm aware of, and ask your parents if they use it for signs at work, I know in the back of my work right now we have a GIANT piece of coroplast just waiting to be thrown out, I think it was an old sign.

This was a giant post, but I hope somewhere in here I helped.

Thor-Loki's mom

Cavy Slave
I am in no way trying to be mean...but to me, clearly the way you are reacting to answers and not accepting the facts of how expensive piggies can be etc...really speaks to the fact that in my opinion you wouldn't be ready to have an animal like a guinea pig.

Clearly it isn't my place to say whether or not you are truly ready, that would be your parents job. I would love to know what your mother or father say after reading the posts in this thread.

We are all just trying to make sure that you understand what can happen when having guinea pigs. Whether they are male or female, whether you have 1 or 5...things go wrong. Animals get sick, they go downhill so quickly.

I applaud the fact that you are trying to get as much information as possible that does show that you are really interested in knowing all that you can. Childrens brains simply do not work the way an adults brain does, in reasoning capabilities tho. Some of these things folks have said here, I dont think are registering completely. That isnt your fault, its your ages fault. No matter how smart , good hearted, loving you may be.

Goodluck to you and if you do end up getting guinea pigs...or even if you dont...please please have your mom or parents read this thread. Not as a punishment or a way to keep you from getting one, but to make sure THEY are as well informed as they can be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.