Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I knew he was blind BUT!

dandelion

Cavy Slave
Amen! I totally agree with Smudger.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I think a lot of people don't realize how smart rabbits can be. When they don't have enough to occupy them, they make stuff up! Which is usually when they get into trouble.

I think rabbits and piggies should be allowed supervised outdoor playtime when the weather permits. They can enjoy the fresh air, get vitamin D from the sun, and exercise all at the same time. I even take my parakeets out also, so they can enjoy the outdoors.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
Trust me I realize how smart rabbits are. Before I got them I didn't think that they were smart, but now I do. I never actually knew just how smart they can be!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Smudger said:
In many cases though, the good advice gets lost because it's presented in quite a hostile manner-whatever the intention of the poster, sometimes they can come across as being quite scolding and indeed condescending, which isn't the way to go if you want to get someone to listen to you.
I believe that listening or not is the sole responsibility of the person that is accidentally, purposely or imaginarily acting irresponsibly. Often a firm viewpoint can be taken as hostile if the receiver of such a post disagrees with the statement put forth.

When I first joined this group I posted about a fun game my pigs liked to play. Some of you may remember. I would fill their playpen with balloons and they would run around under them pushing them around and bumping them into the air. I rarely did this for them (2xs a year after my kids’ birthdays) and I always sat right next to the playpen to supervise. However, many posters felt that this activity was endangering my pigs. Many posts sounded condescending and I commented on the use of the red frown faces as "getting my hackles up".

I didn’t really agree with everything people said. However, I figured my pigs wouldn’t miss their twice yearly balloon bash and I was able to realize that the people that posted were actually concerned about my pigs. I posted that I would no longer do it. I meant it. I moved on.

The problem is that many people, even if they don’t realize it, view their pets as possessions. They feel they can do whatever they like and can’t comprehend that there are people that actually CARE about an animal they don’t even know. I think they have some idea that in some way their rights to their "possession" is being taken away and they act "the fool" to prove who’s boss. It’s a silly pi$$ing contest and the animal almost always losses even though they don’t have a clue what is going on.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Well heres some poetic justice you may like to know.
The day after starting this post, I took everyones advice whether I agreed with it
or not, I did see a few valid points.

The rabbit went back into the hutch ..2 days later i think he got sick and yesturday he died of pasturella. The vet said it was because of stress of being moved along with perhaps being seperated from her buddy.

Now my kids 3yrs old are asking where he is.

joab97

Cavy Slave
So sorry for you loss gineagurl. My thoughts are with you and your kids.

I had a rabbit, Spike and a black lab, Sparky, they spent all their time together, they even slept together. They made a cute couple.

Smudger

Cavy Slave
voodoojoint said:
I believe that listening or not is the sole responsibility of the person that is accidentally, purposely or imaginarily acting irresponsibly. Often a firm viewpoint can be taken as hostile if the receiver of such a post disagrees with the statement put forth.
There's nothing wrong with a firm viewpoint, when it's called for. What can be quite upsetting for forum users seeking advice is when they feel like they are being scolded for not knowing everything about guinea pig care. In many cases a firm viewpoint can be taken as hostile even if the recipient of the post does agree with the statement put forth. Things are also further complicated by text being no substitute for verbal communication.

voodoojoint said:
The problem is that many people, even if they don’t realize it, view their pets as possessions. They feel they can do whatever they like and can’t comprehend that there are people that actually CARE about an animal they don’t even know. I think they have some idea that in some way their rights to their "possession" is being taken away and they act "the fool" to prove who’s boss. It’s a silly pi$$ing contest and the animal almost always losses even though they don’t have a clue what is going on.
I think everybody views their pets as possessions to a certain degree-I certainly don't consider mine to be public property, and wouldn't let anyone get away with just walking into my house and taking them. Having said that though, I certainly don't believe that I can do whatever I like with them-if that were the case I wouldn't have bothered joining a guinea pig forum because the opinions and advice of others wouldn't mean anything to me. I know some people are exactly the way you described, but I believe it also to be true that some of the adverse reactions witnessed on these forums is due to the manner in which the advice is presented-I'd go so far as to say that in some cases the people take the advice, but 'act the fool' as a response to the way in which the advice was given.

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
guineagurl said:
The rabbit went back into the hutch ..2 days later i think he got sick and yesturday he died of pasturella. The vet said it was because of stress of being moved along with perhaps being seperated from her buddy.
I am very sorry this happened guineagurl. My thoughts are with you. xXx

Smudger

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear that guineagurl-hope you're ok.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Yeah I'm ok but its an awdul disease, I sat all day trying to keep him alive, poor baby.
I've learned a few valuable lessons off this and another website, Never again will I buy a pet from a petshop, (wasnt the cause of his death but...)
I had no idea the local dog shelter also has guinea pigs and buns,, I found one online last night in need of a home and my heart melted.
I might go visit it at the weekend.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
At least when their outside I know for certain that nothing can get in or out of their hutches.
How do you know an animal couldn't get to them? There have been cases of coyotes, cougars, raccoons, and other carnivorous/omnivorous animals breaking into or knocking over the 'strong sturdy hutches' outside.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
I know you wern't talking to me but I have a outside rabbit hutch that I built and it takes 2 people to lift it, Mines really heavy so nothing could tip it as you mentioned.
(Nothing like shop bought ones )

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Yes, but I've seen raccoons(we have a family in our back yard) maneuver their way around a combination lock, a cement block, and bungee cords. They chewed through the lock, ran into the garbage can to knock the block off, and actually pulled the bungee cords up. This was for garbage. Can you imagine what they would do for live prey?

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Well then I'm glad I dont live there!

Is that even in surburbia?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss guineagurl.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
Ah, yes, and I am also very sorry for your loss. We used to own rabbits, they were so loveable. i was traumatized when we lost Buddy.

Yes, I live in the Northern suburbs of Chicago. We've been known to have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, birds of prey, and deer everywhere.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Thankyou Ly&Pigs and DocDolittle

I can see why your being so careful then Doc, I dont have any of them here.

dandelion

Cavy Slave
Im soo sorry guineagirl! I know how it feels to lose a pet, I really do feel your pain.
And as an aside: Voodojoint, I do not think my pets to be a possession and I care for all animals on this earth. However I aslo care about humans and their feelings and I think that in our posts we can both give constructive criticism and try to be sensitive to people's feelings. For if somebody can care that much for other living things, one would think they could so the same for their own species. But this is just my own opinion and you all don't have to agree with it.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
Thanks again.

I'm really still quiet peeved because I had him to the vet 3 times in total in the end.
2 different vets...only the 2nd vet was competatant enough to look after animals. I will continue to take my animals to him now.
The Other one which saw him twice said there was nothing wrong with him.
8hrs later he was dead in my arms.

Ive been thinking it may be too soon to get another but I may as theres a sweet one that needs a home and hes just what my family requires, not scared of kids etc.

All the medicine I bought yesturday, he had not 1 dose of it.
Anyone know if medicine has a long life?

Rachy1412

Cavy Slave
DocDolittle said:
How do you know an animal couldn't get to them? There have been cases of coyotes, cougars, raccoons, and other carnivorous/omnivorous animals breaking into or knocking over the 'strong sturdy hutches' outside.
As I have said time and time again I do not have those sort of prey animals here! The only real threat is other people's cats. But my rabbits are bigger than them so I doubt they would try.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.