Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I Have A Few Questions!

AllysGuineas

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Okay so first of all! I have been researching guinea pigs for over two months now, and I'm finally going to get two abyssinian sows! So i have a few questions. but also, don't think i don't know anything! I already have a 10 ft C+C cage with upper deck and everything!!! Okay:

-Tell me everything you know about fleece, and how to set it up and wash it! Before i go and get some!

-How often should i bond with my guinea pigs? Such as hold, treat and ect.

-Should i put a top on my C+C cage? Will they jump out?

Thanks so much if you could answer my questions! Also tell me anything you also know before i go out and get my future little ones!!

AllysGuineas :eek:ptimist:

For fleece, read the Fleece Project sticky: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

Basically you should get at least two changes of fleece and underbedding (towels, mattress pads, etc.). Wash and dry it (air drying is fine) at least three times before using it. You can wash with detergent (and vinegar if it smells) to clean it. Don't use fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Lap time is for you, not your pigs, so you can do it as often or as little as you wish. But be sure to weigh them weekly, clip their nails, and make sure they don't have any abnormal lumps or cuts or other problems. They do need floor time, however. Just block off a large area, fill it with hideys and hay and veggies and let them run around.

You don't need a lid unless you have other pets. They won't jump out. If they don't use the ramp right away, make sure they have food on the main level.

Hope that helps!

Thanks it does!!

Sorry I was posting as the person was a few above, so sorry if I'm repetitive.

Welcome! I'm glad to hear you've done your research, that's great.

Check out this thread on fleece, it has everything you need to know.
Laptime, or "bonding" is mostly for us humans to get some time to cuddle with our piggies. When you first get them it's good to hold them lots, but not for too long periods of time. If they get too squirmish, they might have to pee and they like doing that in privacy. Cuddle time is good to get your guinea pigs comfortable with you and know that you are their friend, not some scary giant hand over their cage haha. I'd suggest wrapping them up in hand towels (makes them feel secure), or if you have a cozy have that on your lap for them to sit in, or just hold them close. This doesn't need to be done everyday, it's really up to you. Though floortime, does need to happen everyday for at least an hour. Even though you have a large cage they need to get out and have time to run around.

You do not need a top to C&C cages unless you have seen that your piggies can jump out (which is unlikely), or have cats or other animals that could get at the piggies. If so, do a search for cage tops on this site and you'll find some answers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.