Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I feel like such a failure at this..

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
Snuffles is around the age Caramel died now.. And if you remember he died by literally just all of the sudden clumps of hair falling out and the URI. Now Snuffles has something really similar.. I found him this morning nearly bald and he WONT MOVE but it doesn't look like he has a URI. My parents just caught up the bills again and its all good now but they say they wont waste 100 bucks or more on an animal they got for nearly free.. So I am sitting here crying- I don't know what to do. I talked to my dad who is at work and he said he'll 'do what I want to do' but he thinks once Snuffles dies the best thing to do is rehome Truffles with a home with atleast one more pig and he said he agree's with my mom and it's not worth taking him to the vet.. I don't know what to do. I love Truffles but I don't want to keep him if this is going to happen to him too. :weepy:

This is so sad.:sorry: Your piggie really needs to go to the vet, but they won't take him. I'm so sorry. A great way to know if they have URI for sure or not(my vet taught me this) is to pick them up and listen to their lungs. If you hear a crackling sound, then he definitely has URI. Of course, he may not be far along enough to hear it yet, but it's worth a try. Maybe you could offer to help pay for the vet bills? I'm so sorry.

I don't have a job or any savings. Money really isn't an issue, but they don't think it is worth taking him. I just checked and oddly enough he didn't struggle but there was no crackling. I don't know what it is but he also like doesn't walk.. He kindof uses his backlegs like a frog and doesn't use his front legs and he rests with his head in all these weird positions- For example his nose between the grid bars?

Please keep trying to talk your parents into a vet visit. It sounds like the piggy is in a lot of pain if he's not using legs normally. I would make sure you show your mom and dad exactly what the piggy looks like with him losing his hair and not using his legs. Surely they'll see how pitiful he is and hopefully change their mind. A poor creature should not be in that much pain and not be getting vet attention.:weepy:

Oh, dear! I feel so awful for you!

It sounds like Snuffles might be very ill indeed, and he really does need vetinary attention immediately.

I don't want to encourage you to have an argument with your parents, but you really must stress to them how irresponsible they are being.

Snuffles may be suffering, and not taking him to a vet is nothing short of cruel.

Every time a person (or family) takes any animal into their home, whether it be a goldfish, a guinea pig or a horse, they take on the responsibility of that animals life and well-being.

Snuffles is a living creature, and judging his "worth" based on how much money he cost to buy is immoral and irresponsible.

If people aren't willing to dedicate the time, money and attention an animal needs, they should not take it into their home in the first place.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, and I know that this is not your fault, it is your parents' fault, but this is something I feel very strongly about.

I hope they see sense before Snuffles goes through any more unnecessary suffering. :weepy:

You must feel awful! Keep trying to get him to a vet! He sounds like he is in soo much pain if he is not acting normally like that! As mentioned in the previous, show your parents what he looks like and they may say yes.

Good Luck and please, keep all of us updated

I was in my room watching them and Truffles was pulling out Snuffles hair and eating it. Mind you their is hay, pellets, and veggies in there.. Truffles is the only one eating them obviously. Snuffles is just laying there. I decided that we're going to have to find Truffles a new home. Hopefully, one with other pigs and in a C&C cage with all the propper foods.. My mom said we could just drop him off at the shelter and I said no, she told me that I better find someone who'll take him then. Also, my parents saw him..

So... they're just waiting for Snuffles to die?

Why don't they just put bleach in his water bottle and have it done with? >(

So Snuffles is going to spend his/her last few hours alive suffering?! This is completely unfair.

You really need to take them to the vet. Where do you live? I have been looking for another boar and can't find a good shelter. If my parents say yes, I may be able to take Truffles if he isn't too far.

I am located on Long Island, New York? I can give more details if you want in a PM. And seriously, stop. Your not making anything better by criticising my parents.

I really wish you'd be allowed to take Snuffles to the vet. Not only to help him, but also to find out what is wrong. If Caramel had indeed the same problems it might be something contageous and whatever it is might already be passed on to Truffles.

Now you have to give up Truffles and you're looking for a place that already has a guinea pig. But what if Truffles is carrying this disease and you just don't know it yet?

If you could convince your parents that you need to know what's wrong with Snuffles in order to find a home for Truffles they might consider that. I hope!

I don't think so.. Caramel passed a LONGG time ago now. And Snuffles has passed, also, I'd think whoever would realise that they'd have to quarentine.

I don't know, 2 months isn't THAT long. And you know very well yourself that not everyone follows quarantine recommendations.

That aside, I'm very sorry for your loss, which is a double loss really since you're giving Truffles away.

I don't think so.. Caramel passed a LONGG time ago now. And Snuffles has passed, also, I'd think whoever would realise that they'd have to quarentine.

I'm sorry to say this, but you do not seem very considerate or sympathetic towards Snuffles at this point. It appears as though your attitude is "Oh well, he's gone".

I just don't understand...

This may sound harsh but perhaps you should put off owning another pet until you're old enough to have a job and a car and don't have to depend on someone else to take YOUR pet to a vet!!

Snuffles suffered needlessly.

Since they refused to take him to a vet, the most humane thing would to be to rehome your second. I think it is the responsible choice.

-And Fazie, that was harsh and tasteless. She feels sad enough about a situation that is out of her control and is trying to do what is right with the second guinea pig. Perhaps you could try a bit of empathy. I love it when new members jump down the throats of others before they know anything about a member or their feelings towards a pet. If she didn't care she wouldn't be taking the steps towards rehoming to a better equiped home.

I'm sorry to hear this sad sad news! :( I know exactly how it feels like to have parents not quite understanding the love for animals.

I have 2 piggies and a dog.. I still after 2 yrs I hear them occasionally saying things like when you going to give away the animals .. why you have animals etc esp when I have moved to my own home etc.

My wishes are with you .. just keep trying to convince your parents to see how sad it is to watch a animal suffer in pain. Do you have close friends or family that can help?

I hope you are able to get snuffles to a vet soon!

Snuffles died newbie meggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.