Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores I dont know what to do!!!

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
:confused: They told me not to feed them any fresh veggies. They said that they have been raising guinea pigs for 30 years and so many people have lost their piggies due to this.

Yes, I imagine it's quite possible that people have had their piggies, who have never had a fresh veggie before in their entire lives, keel right over when they actually do get fresh ones. The key thing is to take any dietary change slowly. That does NOT mean that they should remain on a freeze dried diet. I mean, think about it, there isn't a creature on earth which is meant to eat a freeze dried diet.

I agree with the others who think you should stay out of this pet store entirely, for what it's worth.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
<sigh> No one is demanding anything. But guess what? You're on a pro-rescue site, and many people on here rescue or volunteer for the cause. We're going to speak freely, too. And we are not going to love the idea of people knowing how horrible pet stores can be but buying a pet from them anyway. It's discouraging when we all work so hard to get these homeless pets adopted out.

Yes some people come across as demanding.. and just so you know I also foster guinea pigs that is why I am nopt agaist adopting but at the same time I think there is a better way of educating people then how some people come across.

Please. Making a responsible decision doesn't make you cold-hearted. You're just making excuses now.

No I'm not but thank you for making it sound that way. No make a responisble decision is not could hearted but the way people act or come across is.

Dude. What ARE you talking about?.

I was talking about Paula walking around outside with a sign, but in my haste I forgot to put it down... meh *laughs* a little flustered I think I am... *laughs*

Not mad. Just irritated. Again, we all work so hard, and it just takes the actions of a handful for us to feel as though our efforts are negated. And no one said that anyone on this thread was horrible. Don't put words in our mouths. Many people here once bought instead of adopted. They've since been educated on this site.

I'm glad your not mad, but I am a foster and I am pro adoption I just wish that the way some people do about "educating" is harsh and should be toned down a little or at least when a person types try to think about how mean it could sound to a new guinea pig owner. There are better ways of going about it then the ways some people say things.

katiewilson

Cavy Slave
Maybe once you've fostered for longer than three days, you'll start to get the bigger picture. Until then, we're just not going to see eye to eye on this.

I don't think people that buy a pet rather than adopting are horrible people that should feel bad about themselves. Like I already said, MANY people bought a pet store guinea pig without realizing that there's an overpopulation problem or that they are available for adoption. I know that I had no idea about all of that until I found this site. But if the reason for buying a pet is "I know pet stores are bad and I should be adopting...but it was REALLY cute and I couldn't say no!" then sorry, I'm going to be disappointed. And as a foster parent, you should be, too.

I was talking about Paula walking around outside with a sign, but in my haste I forgot to put it down... meh *laughs* a little flustered I think I am... *laughs*

Still don't get what you're trying to say here.

Last edited:

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Maybe once you've fostered for longer than three days, you'll start to get the bigger picture. Until then, we're just not going to see eye to eye on this.

And this is why I think that people are being harsh! That was a NASTY remark, just because I've only fostered for "3" days doesn't mean I have never done it before... I HAVE fostered dogs and cats for years! and just because I just fostered guinea pigs does not give you the right to be nasty like that. I know the big pictures I have gone on rescues that take me into more horrible situations then I'm sure you'll ever see. And you wonder why I think and say things the way I have. Well hun its comments like that, it was rude.

Um, still doesn't make any sense.
Its ok... it was more for Paula anyway ;)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
eschimpf--> "Just because you may be able to walk in and cold heartly say no doesn't mean everyone is."

And you are calling us cold hearted. I almost wet my pants. You are the one who is cold hearted supporting breeding mills.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
eschimpf--> "Just because you may be able to walk in and cold heartly say no doesn't mean everyone is."

And you are calling us cold hearted. I almost wet my pants. You are the one who is cold hearted supporting breeding mills.

Wiggles, frankly I'm laughing, that was a very silly reply because it was not directed at you or everyoneon the furom BUT thank you for putting words in my mouth.

katiewilson

Cavy Slave
And this is why I think that people are being harsh! That was a NASTY remark, just because I've only fostered for "3" days doesn't mean I have never done it before... I HAVE fostered dogs and cats for years! and just because I just fostered guinea pigs does not give you the right to be nasty like that. I know the big pictures I have gone on rescues that take me into more horrible situations then I'm sure you'll ever see. And you wonder why I think and say things the way I have. Well hun its comments like that, it was rude.

Wow, I think I've found what the problem is...you're a tad sensitive, and perhaps easily offended. I never suggested that fostering a guinea for three days is a bad thing, nor was it meant to be insulting. I only meant that when you've done it for long enough, it wears on you when others are so nonchalant about buying from pet stores and breeders.

Take a deep breath and relax. Hun.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Then I'll say it. It still doesn't make any sense.
OKAY here it is word for word of my silly idea...

You (paula)

a sign

It says DONT BUY HERE! PET STORES ARE BAD!

You (paula) holding this sign by a pet store

Someone (don't care who) holding a camera

You posting the picture

me seeing your devotion on the forum

Is ever one ok with my SILLY idea, not ment to me taken for real IDEA?
IT was SILLY!!! I take the idea back, because I guess you have never protested before there for have any idea about what I was getting at.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Wow, I think I've found what the problem is...you're a tad sensitive, and perhaps easily offended. I never suggested that fostering a guinea for three days is a bad thing, nor was it meant to be insulting. I only meant that when you've done it for long enough, it wears on you when others are so nonchalant about buying from pet stores and breeders.

Take a deep breath and relax. Hun.

Well when its put across that way I do get offened... and yes I am a little sensative... I have been around the block and think that sometime people get a little to demanding..

But thank you.. I'm taking your post as a some what of a sorry. :) I am relaxing. *laughs* some what ;)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
eschimpf --> "Wiggles, frankly I'm laughing, that was a very silly reply because it was not directed at you or everyoneon the furom BUT thank you for putting words in my mouth. "

Than who the heck was it directed to your imaginary friends. And no problem, any time!

katiewilson

Cavy Slave
I'm taking your post as a some what of a sorry. :)

You shouldn't. It wasn't. But I certainly wasn't using fostering as an attack against you.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Than who the heck was it directed to your imaginary friends. And no problem, any time!

Really??? REALLY??? *laughs so hard she pees her pants a little* it was just a way to put a point across... and I was not really thanking you. and leave my imaginary friends out of this, they say they didn't like it very much *laughs even harder*

by the way was that really needed? It was a little rude.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
eschimpf ->"Really??? REALLY??? *laughs so hard she pees her pants a little* it was just a way to put a point across... and I was not really thanking you. and leave my imaginary friends out of this, they say they didn't like it very much *laughs even harder*

by the way was that really needed? It was a little rude."

Okay that post got NO point across at all. And yes it was well needed.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
All right folks. Let's go ahead and stop this line of particularly petty arguing. We've all said what we want to say about pet stores and adoption and everything else. We've made our points, or tried to, and enough's enough.

If anyone else has anything they want to add to the discussion of pet stores or rescues or adoption, go for it, but don't continue the silliness.

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Sorry that was really aggrivating me and I had to vent.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I am no in anyway agaist or for either adoption OR pet store pets. I am very nuetral but I also feel that IF an informed person chooses to buy from a pet store that it is their choice and that no one should be harsh on them for doing so because we have no idea about their town/city and if they even have a rescue or if they do if they even carry guinea pigs.

If someone chooses to be willfully ignorant then yes that is there choice. Is it a poor choice? Absolutely. Can I disagree with it? Absolutely. Do I support it? No!

So I live in a town of 6,000. There are no rescues for guinea pigs but I've been able to find them. One being thrown out like garbage because they didn't have time for him anymore. Another was an accidental litter from a pregnant sow someone got from a petstore. All from a different source then a rescue. If there is a petstore in your area I guarantee there is a homeless small animal near you! If it's smaller then a guinea pig people just usually let those go. My boyfriends family has a rat living under their house they can't get. It's most likely someones pet that was let go by a neighbor with kids.

The excuse of no guinea pigs available to rescue in someones town or city is total bull, and it's not believable. As long as there are pet stores there will always be a homeless and/or neglected guinea pig or any pet for that matter.

I don't support pet stores in any way! That's my way of demonstrating. They don't get the money I work hard for.

martini907

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot thats what I thought. I will keep giving it to them. I didnt want to hurt them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.