Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Hair Loss How to stop barbering?

MusicMayhem

Cavy Slave
After losing my 6 year old female I brought home a young female guinea pig to accompany my older neutered male. The only problem is she eats his hair. Not like bites it shorter but she pulls it out and eats it. I tried providing more chew toys and extra hay(Even though they pretty much have 24/7 access to hay) but that didn't work so I separated them :(
Mocha(The older male) seems so miserable without a companion. They can still see each other through the barrier in the cage, I even put foo in-between cages so they can share but he still looks depressed to me, and not nearly as happy as he was when they shared the cage. I've read up on the subject and its apparently not too uncommon and it's called barbering. Various websites have said that it's more common with a young guinea pig and an adult, or when the barber is neurotic...which might be the case. The little baby is very fast, always running around and she hides when I open the cage, but once I get her out she is content to relax and eat in my lap. I've had baby guinea pigs before but she seems to be a lot crazier than any i've had in the past. The cage is 8sq feet, but I had to split it in half so they each only have 4 sq feet cause I don't have any other cage to use. Mocha has large patches of hair missing and i've witnessed the baby pulling out and eating his hair, I just don't know what to do. :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
This is my opinion only, but I'd leave them together, and if Mocha has long hair, I'd give him a good haircut and then let the baby trim it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.