Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What breed? How do you know if a your piggy is a satin?

rocktopus

Cavy Slave
I'm a first time guinea pig owner. One of my baby guinea pigs has super soft fur, much softer than other guinea pigs I have petted. I read about satin guinea pigs, and how they're at risk for chronic bone problems, and now I'm worried she might be a satin. She doesn't have shiny, glossy fur though. It looks normal, just feels very soft (like a baby kitten's). Our other baby's fur isn't so soft and she's around the same age.

I was wondering if normal smooth guinea pigs have variations in coat softness too?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Yes, guinea pigs come in all different types of fur. Satins have glossy shiny, fur; almost reflective. It has nothing to do with the softness. Your baby probably inherited the soft fur from a past generation. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Pinky is right.

However, I have never heard of Satins having bone issues... I have a Satin that is two as of yesterday and has absolutely no health issues. Regardless, don't worry. Your girls are fine. : )

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Satins can and often do suffer from a metabolic bone condition called osteodystrophy. Not all satin's get this condition.

I have a 6 1/2 year old satin american/silkie cross that does not have OD.

What makes a pig a satin is because they have hollow hair shafts. It makes the coat appear very glossy and shiny even in photographs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.