Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Horrible, just horrible

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
It was a very difficult trip and I felt terrible leaving them that long. I wanted the trip to be 3 days shorter but family pushed for more days. I feel like if I had come home sooner maybe I would have seen if she was sick. I just don't know. I just know I left a healthy, happy, wheeky pig and came home to her being sick and she died so quickly.

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
Again I am so so very sorry for your loss.

That is Just TERRIBLE That pet sitter/buisness should be shut down!

MissMonkey

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry. I just cant believe it... Also, humans can only live for around 3 days without fluids before it gets dangerous so im sure it would have been the dehydration as it would be less for a pig. Again, I am so sorry, its just amazing how ignorant people can be...

Cavy Crew

Cavy Slave
Reading this just made me tear. One could only imagine how much she must have suffered. I am so sorry for your lost. Emmy is so adorable and i am sure she is in peace, and safe place now. As for the sitter, its bad karma on her side for doing this! Just to remind all piggie owners/lovers, there are many people out there who says that they are trained sitters or caretaker, but actually they are not! Some needed money badly and this is the only solution for them... I do hope no one else should encounter this. R.I.P baby Emmy... All of our love are with you...

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
O' My gosh that is soo hard and sad. I am soo sorry for your lose. Being away from pets is hard enough. Vacations are supposed to be fun and exciting not worrying about if your pet is alive or dead. We have to make a trip soon to see my husbands grandmother who is getting very old. I have 6 male guinea pigs and am so worried about who is going to take care of them. Now I am even more worried. I see so many ads on CL with people who think they know how to take care of guinea pigs. I makes me soo sad to hear your story. I so feel for you. If you wrote out detailed instructions then it is completely her fault and you should do what you can to prevent other pets from being injured or worse in her terrible care. Good luck to you and I hope someday you can feel at peace with her passing.

distancel

Cavy Slave
What a horrible woman! What the hell was she doing pet sitting guinea pigs if she doesn't seem to know ANYTHING about them, and more to the point she can't even follow INSTRUCTIONS telling her exactly what to do!

I'm just so furious to read about this. I'm so sorry this has happened. I just don't understand how someone could think it's okay not to give a guinea pig any vegetables. Did she just not want to spend her hard earned cash on them and up her profit margins?! What a horrible, horrible human being.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss:( Did she read the instructions at all? I am going to be going on vacation over the summer for about a week and I own 2 guinea pigs. I guess I will let my grandma take care of mine instead of letting someone just toss them around like a sack of potatoes. Anyways, I am very sorry.:(

crystalllynn

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry for your loss. While I agree with the poster that said that she didn't think a week without veggies would cause death in a pig, I can't imagine a pet sitter not following your instructions. That would be bad enough, even without your piggie passing. It would be grounds to take action with or without adverse effects from her behavior. Just as a note to those talking about worrying about vacations. I know that shelters and rescues will sometimes board guinea pigs. If it's a reputable guinea pig rescue, I would think they would take good care of your piggie kids. Just a thought. I know I work with a local rescue and she has offered to keep my pigs anytime I go on vacation. I would feel completely secure with her watching over them.

To the OP, you did the best you could hiring a sitter. Some people would just dump pellets and set up a few extra water bottles. The fact that you took the time to hire someone with the intention of giving your pigs good care speaks volumes for the kind of Mama you are. Just know that Emmy had a good life with you and you did everything you could. I think you should definitely fight this and make sure that she isn't able to neglect any other animals.

piggy love

Cavy Slave
I am so so sorry!
If that happened to my piggies I would be devastated!
Please do something about this!
Call this lady up and scream at her!
Take her to court for animal cruelty!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.