Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Please take time to flag. Horrible!

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
This person is asking for a male Guinea pig so he can breed his females. So wrong! I want to email and tell them how horrible it is to do this!

(broken link removed)

We can only flag if he is selling his bred babies, otherwise I believe he's not doing anything flag worthy, according to craigslist. It is horrible though :(

We can only flag if he is selling his bred babies, otherwise I believe he's not doing anything flag worthy, according to craigslist. It is horrible though :(

That's too bad. I just hate thinking of someone planning ahead to use their piggies this way! Yuck! Thanks though.

I'm sorry I'm new to all of this but why breeding piggies is wrong?
Do they sell them as snake food? If so that is disturbing. How can someone use these cuttle ones as something like this...

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm new to all of this but why breeding piggies is wrong?
Do they sell them as snake food? If so that is disturbing. How can someone use these cuttle ones as something like this...

There are too many homeless pigs out there to be breeding new ones..

@Opheliakc, pregnancy is very hard on guinea pig sows and pups, and the death rate is high for both. That's partly because guinea pig pups are HUGE in relation to the sow, and a sow may be unable to deliver a pup that's too large.

They also are prone to several genetic diseases. Osteodystrophy causes lifelong, crippling pain, Lethal white pigs are born deaf, blind, with missing and/or wonky teeth, and immature digestive systems. And that's just for starters.

Most breeders know nothing about those problems, and make no effort to keep their pigs from being inbred. There are thousands of unwanted guinea pigs in rescues, shelters, and on places like Craigslist. There are enough unwanted pigs out there to keep the breed going, so there's no need to ever deliberately breed another pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.