Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Help! Eating bedding, no hay!

Keekers

Cavy Slave
I recently ran out of hay in the past couple days, and my Dad refuses to buy hay until tomorrow. Both of my pigs are eating their bedding which is kiln dried pine. I know if they continue they'll get an intestinal blockage, and that i can't feed them veggies 24/7. What am i supposed to do? I have pellets in their cage but they still eat their bedding.

That's a bad situation to be in. I'd take the pigs off the pine bedding and put them on an old blanket or towels. Or just remove the bedding and leave the bottom of the cage bare until tomorrow. That's not good for them, but neither is eating the pine bedding.

And you might make a note to yourself to not run out of hay again. You can explain to your dad that they need hay all the time, and that you'll wind up with horrible vet bills or possibly worse if they eat the pine bedding. But you need to watch the hay supply and make sure that you don't run out. Maybe your dad can give you a guinea pig allowance to manage, and you can buy the hay out of that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.