Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Babies/Pups 2 litters of pups need help confirming sex

Ladyfrankenstein83

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone,

I recently took in 2 female guinea pigs from a family friend's surprise litter. They also apparently mis-sexed one of the pups and housed a male with the 3 females so they have all had their litters in the last month.
Our first female, Sandy gave birth on 5/2. Joy gave birth on Sunday(Mother's day) We are getting close to needing to separate out male pups. I have 2 large C&C cage setups for all of the piggies and want to make sure they are all cared for the rest of their lives. Would this forum be able to help confirm the sex of our 7 babies?

Hello everyone,

I recently took in 2 female guinea pigs from a family friend's surprise litter. They also apparently mis-sexed one of the pups and housed a male with the 3 females so they have all had their litters in the last month.
Our first female, Sandy gave birth on 5/2. Joy gave birth on Sunday(Mother's day) We are getting close to needing to separate out male pups. I have 2 large C&C cage setups for all of the piggies and want to make sure they are all cared for the rest of their lives. Would this forum be able to help confirm the sex of our 7 babies?
If only I could have you next to me and we could do it together! Attached are my best two pics.

The left one is a boar and the right is a sow (using proper names). In the male, the penis is very distinctively a separate structure all its own, while in the female the little protrusion is a part of the rest of the structure and the whole thing is "Y" shaped.

With the male, rub gently back and forth (transversely) across just above what you think is a penis (withdrawn/hidden) and you just may get him to extrude it. Voila! You have your confirmation.

If you would like our input, take pics with very good lighting and focus......just like the pics attached. BTW, all cavies have nipples and are of no help when sexing them. Also, don't assume that folks who work in a pet store have any more experience than you.

Male..................................Female

Attachments

Piggy boy.jpg Piggy girl.jpg