Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Guinea pig pregnant or not?

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
So we just purchased 2 more guinea pigs last weekend. The lady said they were 2 girls housed together since birth November 2012. When I took a look I discovered one was a male, the other was a girl. So they have been housed together since birth but wouldn't the girl pig be pregnant by now? She doesn't look pregnant and her stomach feels the same as our other girls stomach. I obviously separated the male pig. Just not sure if she is actually pregnant if she hasn't had babies yet.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It would depend on when she was bred. Gestation is around 70 days, so it's possible she didn't get pregnant right away.

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Anyone else? The reply wasn't helpful!

HayleyandPheobe

Cavy Slave
You could take her to the vet, or weigh her regularly, and check for movement :)

HayleyandPheobe

Cavy Slave
Does she look pear shaped?

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Ya I'm going to be weighing her. She does not look pear shaped. Thanks for your reply!

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
As much as it's not helpful - it's really hard to tell in the early stages.

Like was suggested, I would weigh daily and just keep an eye on her tummy because there is a chance she could be. Maybe start changing her diet to that of a pregnant sow just in case?

I don't know if you've seen this - but here is a great resource on potential piggy pregnancy! https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Ok update! She is definitely pear shaped now and when I feel her it feels like 2 golf balls in her sides. And I just was trying to feel for movement and one of them kicked me! So cool!!! Again I will remind people that I did not breed her! I've only had her less than a month. So of I only felt one kick do I still count that as movement? How much longer do you think she has??

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Anyone? Just wondering how much longer to expect. I can definitely feel baby kicks.

SqueakyPig

Cavy Gazer
She's definitely a few weeks along now that you can feel kicking, and it sounds like she could give birth soon. I wouldn't pick her up too much now, and only weigh her every few days. I hope everything goes well!

Ranijuliet

Cavy Slave
When my girl had babies it was within 2 week of baby kicks that she gave birth. I'm no expert tho. Good luck!

Anonysquire

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.