Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig is acting weird, I don't know what to do

Fei2143

Cavy Slave
My boy Mochi just had his bath, and when he's done, we put him on a towel so that we can dry him but he just lay there on his side a few minutes and wouldn't move. After awhile when he starts moving again, he seems to be limping and has no strength in his left leg. I brought him to the vet a week ago for his heavy breathing (the vet thought he may have lung inflammation so gave him gut mobility med and antibiotic). Mochi also had an x-ray, but his legs seemed fine. Could it be his leg was just numb like humans or could it be something more? It's not the first time he's like this and I can't wait till the next week for his appointment to ask the vet! :( he seems to be having trouble moving still.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Is it possible he's fallen, or gotten his leg caught in his cage somewhere?

How long has it been since it happened the last time? And how long did it take before he started walking normally again?

Fei2143

Cavy Slave
I don't think it's possible. He is always moving (if not just laying there) fine in the cage. It happens when we carry him for too long. He would seem like he's grasping for air and i knew it will happen again that he lay on his side and won't move. The last time it happened was last week Wednesday night. Then the next day we brought him to the vet but it didn't seem to be a problem at all as other than his lungs, everything else was fine.

the first two times it took him around 10~15 minutes, but this time it's longer. He is still laying in the cage, and it's been about 30 minutes.

Fei2143

Cavy Slave
IMG_5925.jpgimage.jpg
He just keep laying at a corner like this

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Did they do an x-ray to check his lungs? An x-ray would also show an enlarged heart, and that would also fit some of his symptoms.

I wouldn't bathe him again until I got a definitive diagnosis on what's wrong with him. Guinea pigs are very clean animals, and most can go indefinitely without a bath.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.