Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues "Free Guina Pig"

Razzle

Cavy Slave
  • Little female being offered for free via Craigslist. It says that she is one and a half years old, very tame, comes with aquarium (fish tank!), a bag of alfalfa food and a bag of seeds! I sent an email asking if she had been given Timothy Hay. I would love to bring her home but I know the risks and possible health issues especially if she has not been given hay. Just so sad. I would love to give her a home and get her out of the fish tank. I bet a salad would be new to her. Anyway, just wanted to share. People are given such pitiful information from those pet stores and these little ones suffer as a result.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Maybe get her out of there and take her to a good rescue? Would be better than where she's at.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
The reason so many are not given to the rescue and instead end up as snake food is because the rescue won't take them without a fee. Nothing is as simple as it seems. And I know the rescues are careful because of the vet costs to care for the piggy who has had such awful care. It is a complex issue. I have been involved in many rescues and it is very costly. I am very careful about taking rescues. I have had those sad and expensive experiences and if I were rich I would do so much more. Giving the best care to my own herd is first but if I can squeeze in another I will.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I once rescued a male stuck in a 10 gallon (!). Aquariums make horrible homes for these little critters.
Seed and alfalfa? Oh gosh, she needs a new home, stat!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've taken some guinea pigs in with sad results but I've had others that were in terrible shape that lived long lives. I think a lot of their health is due to genetics. I have a male that was surrendered to our rescue with a large stomach mass. He was on older guy, had the tumor removed and was placed in the home of one of our volunteers due to an unknown prognosis. About a year after that, she asked me to take him. I've had him more than 3 years already. He's blind, old and slow moving but he's in good health for a senior and gets around just fine. Had we considered the possibilities that would come along with taking him in, I'm not sure where's he'd be now. If this one is calling out to you, I'd go for it. Sounds like you'd offer the perfect home to give this little one a second chance at a happy life. 1.5 years is still incredibly young.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
The ones in those awful fish tanks break my heart. I emailed the people offering this one for free and asked if she had been fed hay. Just that one question I need an answer to. They have not emailed back. She has most likely been given away. I don't check Craigslist too often anymore and must have seen this one at a late time. But from my past experiences if they have not been given hay they have so much trouble. If having to deal with teeth problems the cost is far more then I can manage at this time. As I have said already, I have rescued many little ones and so many came from pitiful lives and most have done so well and I love when they go on to live a happy life. But the other ones still bring sadness when I think of them. I hope she has found a safe and loving home.

Field-of-Dreams

Cavy Slave
I rescued two that had been in an aquarium. I just took them, didn't even want the "cage". Squiggy was the best piggie I had ever had!

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Each and every one of my beautiful herd came from "Craigslist" except Razzle who was part of a hoarder rescue/surrender. And I have rescued and found wonderful homes for many that were offered for "free" on Craigslist. That is a great place to find a very precious guinea pig.

Razzle

Cavy Slave
Heard back from the lady offering the little female in the fish tank for free. She is two years old. I will "probably" pick the little one up this afternoon. Hope she does not have dental issues. And I am not taking the fish tank but have not told them that yet. Wish I could stop that practice of putting them in fish tanks. Have you ever gone to the library and checked on the books offered on the care of guinea pigs. Just awful.
I brought home a little boy who was offered for snake food not too long ago and he was just the nicest little fellow. They hated him because he bit, and hard. He had mites something awful.

arod18007

Cavy Slave
This post made me go ahead and check out Craigslist in my area for guinea pigs and someone was selling "Guinea Pig Cage and Guinea Pig Ball". UGH! They can't go in those exercise balls! It's so sad :(

pinky

Cavy Slave
This post made me go ahead and check out Craigslist in my area for guinea pigs and someone was selling "Guinea Pig Cage and Guinea Pig Ball". UGH! They can't go in those exercise balls! It's so sad :(
Send them a note and ask them not to sell it with the ball. Once you explain, they'll probably understand

arod18007

Cavy Slave
Send them a note and ask them not to sell it with the ball. Once you explain, they'll probably understand

Yeah, I went ahead and did that. Hopefully they'll take my advice. Thanks!

Razzle

Cavy Slave
"Tiny" is here. I would add a picture but the flash would probably be too much for her after getting her nails cut. She does not hide. I guess after living in a fish tank she got used to being observed from all sides??? She has a hut but does not go in it ever. She did not burrow and hide in the carrier during the ride home. She is really little. So far she eats, eats, eats, takes a nap, sprawled out in the open, wakes eats hay, eats pellets, drinks and spreads out and sleeps.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
"Tiny" is here. I would add a picture but the flash would probably be too much for her after getting her nails cut. She does not hide. I guess after living in a fish tank she got used to being observed from all sides??? She has a hut but does not go in it ever. She did not burrow and hide in the carrier during the ride home. She is really little. So far she eats, eats, eats, takes a nap, sprawled out in the open, wakes eats hay, eats pellets, drinks and spreads out and sleeps.

Aww that's good I'm glad she found the perfect home. A home filled with people who actually apprieciate her and take care of her properly. People like that erk me.

Bianca427

Cavy Slave
Aw, she sounds cute already! Hope you plan on posting a picture soon :)

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
She is one lucky piggle!!!!

TwoMissPiggies

Cavy Slave
How awesome @Razzle! I know she will have such a better home with you :) I bet she will be happy to have more room than the fish tank. Take pics when you can.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
So glad you got her @Razzle ! Poor little girl. It amazes me that people still think keeping guinea pigs in fish tanks is okay. When I adopted Quinn, the people at Petco gave me all the stuff she'd come with, including the miserable 10 gallon tank that was her home. I told them I didn't want it, and they were genuinely surprised. I tried to explain how inappropriate it is, but I think they thought I was nuts. The scary thing is, those are the people who will recommend supplies to people who buy guinea pigs there. Quinn was supposedly bought at a different pet store before she was dumped at Petco, so obviously the original store sees nothing wrong with selling tanks for piggies either.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that not all rescues or shelters require a fee to surrender an animal! I don't want people to think that is true of everywhere and spread that around and discourage taking pets to a shelter if needed.

our rescue asks for a donation but it is not required. And we don't set an amt, it's free will and sometimes we get just the leftover supplies and sometimes $50! Both are great.

The shelter where I used to live and volunteer is the same way. I took an abandoned rabbit there once and they didn't even ask for a donation but I offered one since I knew of their policy.

GuineaPigster

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that not all rescues or shelters require a fee to surrender an animal! I don't want people to think that is true of everywhere and spread that around and discourage taking pets to a shelter if needed.

our rescue asks for a donation but it is not required. And we don't set an amt, it's free will and sometimes we get just the leftover supplies and sometimes $50! Both are great.

The shelter where I used to live and volunteer is the same way. I took an abandoned rabbit there once and they didn't even ask for a donation but I offered one since I knew of their policy.
Most rescues, in my experience, will request a small surrender donation, but not require it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.