Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Female piggie slaves, do all your girls exhibit "in heat" behaviours ?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Hello Piggie Pals ! :)

I was just wondering something. I have two girls, Cuddles and Buttercup, as many of you know. My lovey Cuddles most definitely exhibits the typical behaviours associated with being "in heat". My other girl Buttercup does not. I don't really know when Buttercup goes into heat, so I have never been able to time when her estrus period begins. I know how long it lasts ( 24-48hrs) and know that if the mucus plug is dissolved, that means that she is in estrus, but don't want to check her vagina everyday, to see if it is open or closed, you know ?

My question is this: Do any of you have females, who also, do not, show signs of being in estrus or rather "in heat" ?

Last edited:
It must be the name... My buttercup (the momma pig) is the easiest going doesnt show signs and always happy. She's (hate to choose) but my absolute favorite piggy. Anyway, my other two definitely show it. They both are lazy rumblestrutting around mounting everything don't want to be handled aren't so excited for food (even carrots!). It's so weird.

Ha! Ha! Yeah....Buttercup is such a doll...ANYONE would love her to pieces ! I love both my girls equally, though it sure is much more fun, :crazy: with a piggie who enjoys human interaction and companionship !

It does vary from Pig to Pig, you could always tell when Caramel was hormonal. She'd rumble at anything and everything. Josephine I really couldn't tell, same with Emma. Though I'm fairly sure Fizzy was in heat last week, she was a lot more rumbly than normal for a couple of days. So yeah, it does vary, some pigs you can tell right away when they are in heat, others it can take time as the signs are more subtle.

Dont get me wrong, I love all my piggers. But she holds a special place in my heart for sure. Theres something about her little wheeks when I come home and everytime she hears a bag crinkle how she runs to the grids and puts her little feet on the bars to see me. She's just the cutest little thing! Shes also learning to stay still when I pick her up for floor time or back in te cage. She's just awesome. An my other girls are special in their own ways too :)

Oh I am sure you do ! :) I was afraid that maybe I sounded too goody goody "Politically correct" in when I said that I loved them both equally...sorry for that.:( Honestly though, I do try hard to see them both in their own uniqueness...and my soul has certainly been tried in this manner with raising two children whom are complete opposites when it comes to joy and grief, behaviours and such, you know ? It is a real test of my character to truly love them equally, yet I know I will always love them differently, since they are both so different.

Last edited:
Oh I knew you didn't mean it towards me-- but what I wrote kinda sounded like I didn't love them the same. I felt like a bad piggyMommy!! Lol.

Oh I knew you didn't mean it towards me-- but what I wrote kinda sounded like I didn't love them the same. I felt like a bad piggyMommy!! Lol.

I am sure you are a great Piggie Mommy !!:) Besides, anyone coming on here to learn how to take better care of their pigs, is obviously someone who loves and cares very much for the well being of these sweet little creatures. I should have chosen my words more carefully, so sorry if I made you or anyone else feel that way.

It's so interesting to me, that some females exhibit such obvious signs of being in heat ( like when us women get our periods...) and others do not ! Right this moment there is some VERY LOUD squeaking going on in their cage, and I have a feeling Cuddles has pushed too many buttons on Buttercup ! Buttercup takes her in stride, like with a grain of salt ( it's very funny to watch her nonchalant behaviour towards Cuddles when Cuddles is rumbling and swaying her hips, basically in her face all the time being a nudge !!) and eventually, after much patience with her, she will say "O.k. Cuddles, enough is enough", and put her in her place ! ( Buttercup is the dominant pig) And then I usually hear Cuddles squeaking up a storm, or running away as Buttercup nips her behind ! It is absolutely HYSTERICAL to watch ! Especially, since I am pretty confident, that neither one, would "hurt" the other.

Of my two pigs, Grizzly shows signs of being in heat, and Yeti never does. Grizzly will just constantly rumble (somehow more than usual) in front of Yeti. However, Yeti has always been the quiet, yet dominant, pig so it isn't much of a surprise that she doesn't exhibit this behavior.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.