Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size Expanding cage thoughts - what would you do?

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
We have finally convinced our daughter that the guinea pigs need to be moved down to the living room as they are isolated in her room.

So - we have the potential to expand the cage both because of extra space and because I found grids at a thrift store.

Currently, we have a 2X4 C&C with a 1X2 loft for 2 adult females. It's important to identify that the loft is used a lot and that if I were to expand it to a 2X2 I would do what @spy9doc did and have it offset.

I have 3 choices here -

1. Leave loft as is and expand the bottom to a 2X5 - thereby having to move living room furniture and have them closer to the TV
2. Leave bottom as is and expand loft to an offset 2x2 like @spy9doc also pushing them closer to the TV and pushing living room furniture
3. Turn the bottom into a 3X4, leave the loft as is, and not change furniture but also not push them even closer to the TV - They are on the 2x4 stand that is built for the 2X4 cage.

What would you do?

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Either 1 or 2. We started with a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft and then I expanded to a 2x5 with a 2x2.

Going to a 3x4 with a 1x2 loft would be a bit of an interesting endeavor as you'd have to support the 1x2 loft with a grid, effectively breaking up the bottom space, plus you have the 2x4 base stand to contend with. I cannot imagine trying to clean the far reaches of a 3 grid wide cage either.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Either 1 or 2. We started with a 2x4 with a 2x2 loft and then I expanded to a 2x5 with a 2x2.

Going to a 3x4 with a 1x2 loft would be a bit of an interesting endeavor as you'd have to support the 1x2 loft with a grid, effectively breaking up the bottom space, plus you have the 2x4 base stand to contend with. I cannot imagine trying to clean the far reaches of a 3 grid wide cage either.

That's what I was thinking, I'm just worried about the noise of the TV. It's not on a lot mostly just in the evenings though.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Why are you concerned about the tv sounds? Our pigs are ... maybe 10 steps ... from our tv, never had any issues. We have more issues with the vacuum! Haha

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The noise of the tv isn't likely to bother them at all. In fact, I turn the tv ON for my pigs in the morning, especially if I'm not going to be in the room for whatever reason. As long as it isn't blaringly loud, it won't bother them. It gives them a sense of normalcy and noise seems to make them realize there's always someone around, even if they can't see them.

What I HAVE noticed, is if I use my surround sound system. If I turn on the surround system during a NASCAR race, it REALLY bothers them. I suspect it's the vibration from the subwoofer.

The vacuum cleaner used to scare the crap out of the pigs, but even the babies now seem to understand what it is. Sly doesn't even run any more. He just stands there staring up at me while I vacuum as if to say, "Are you done yet? I'm hungry."

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Why are you concerned about the tv sounds? Our pigs are ... maybe 10 steps ... from our tv, never had any issues. We have more issues with the vacuum! Haha

Because the piggies are going to be RIGHT next to the TV. Like not a few steps away but half a foot. It's the only space they will fit in the living room.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
What I HAVE noticed, is if I use my surround sound system. If I turn on the surround system during a NASCAR race, it REALLY bothers them. I suspect it's the vibration from the subwoofer. "

Maybe they just have good taste? lollollollollol Just kidding

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
I have Freyja and Frigga in a 3X4 and I have to say, I prefer this configuration to a 2X6. You get the same footage but the width allows the girls to really run. They are still very young so they love to do zoomies and they can pitch full tilt circles around the cage. Actually, Artemis and Luna are in a 2X4 for their quarantine cage (I had a very finite number of grids) and it feels so small to me now, even though it's the same length.

For support underneath, you could pop spare grids under? They're very good at supporting the weight, you don't need to close the full cube, we put the horizontal ones in but leave the front open and use the gaps for storing their hay etc underneath them.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I have Freyja and Frigga in a 3X4 and I have to say, I prefer this configuration to a 2X6. You get the same footage but the width allows the girls to really run. They are still very young so they love to do zoomies and they can pitch full tilt circles around the cage. Actually, Artemis and Luna are in a 2X4 for their quarantine cage (I had a very finite number of grids) and it feels so small to me now, even though it's the same length.

For support underneath, you could pop spare grids under? They're very good at supporting the weight, you don't need to close the full cube, we put the horizontal ones in but leave the front open and use the gaps for storing their hay etc underneath them.

Yes we have enough extra grids to add to the underneath. Currently, we have our Cavy Cafe under the loft and they like that, I would keep the loft with the wider configuration, yes? And keep it the same size, just add a grid under it for support?

The girls do seem to like to run around more than back and forth.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Ok, I guess for now we are just going to keep as is for a few days to get a feel for it in the space and then decide how to adjust it. I'm so excited, for us and for the piggies

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're getting it all planned out, and I KNOW the piggies will enjoy being in a populated area much more than your daughters bedroom.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're getting it all planned out, and I KNOW the piggies will enjoy being in a populated area much more than your daughters bedroom.

Yes, I am VERY excited to move them and get to watch their antics all the time.
We also realized we could do an L since they are in a corner. Have to see, so many thoughts!

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I'd say either (broken link removed) or the L shape.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.