Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage upgrading questions

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
So I recently adopted 4 into my herd and I've reached the max I would ever care for. I have 14 Sows and 1 Neutered Boar. Currently their cage set up is 4x10 in a big room with both an A/C, Heater, and Air purifier. I feel that some space expansions may be needed. For those with a large herd or those with experience in general, would it be better to go 5x10 or should I add a second floor. My piggies range from 4 weeks (youngest right now) to 5 years. My eldest piggie passed away from old age on Christmas day at 11 years. I would expand up to 4x11 if I could but its wall to wall as of now so I can only expand the width. Any input or advice?

Note: I understand I have a large herd but they are well cared for and every one of them is insured by nationwide. I have 2 right now who have vet histories but the rest of them have been healthy through their lives. I also get called the "Guinea pig man" since nobody can believe I have 15 haha

I've been called the exact same thing. As long as your pigs are cared for and you are financially able to care for them, no one can really say anything. It sounds like they have plenty of room and as long as they all get along, I see no problems with your setup at all.