Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Does Anyone Else's Cavy Do This?

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
Ever since I got my two pigs, they have been biting the water bottle nozzle. Not licking it, but they can get water out. Does anyone else have a pig that does this? Is it normal? Just curious.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
It's common for GPs to play with their water bottle.

R.J. Messier

Cavy Slave
hello,
Rather then starting a new thread I was going to add to this one. My piggys Ella and Gabby have a few interesting habits I was wonder if they mean any thing. They seem to play running follow the leader, and by running I mean really fast around the cage leaping and jumping over their food salad dish. This occurs after eating and before bedtime. They also do this thing (ithink it is called popcorning) where they do a little jump with a eek.

just wonder if anyone has seen this it seems they are having fun, but what does anyone else think??

faye205

Cavy Slave
My boys do the same thing when they are drinking from the water bottles. It's sooo cute.

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
R.J., it sounds as though your piggies are playing! That's a good thing. They are probably very happy together!

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
I have 3 pigs and they all chew on their bottle a little bit but one of my boys (Billy) chews it hard and excitedly, making a heck of a noise!

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
hello,My piggys Ella and Gabby have a few interesting habits I was wonder if they mean any thing. They seem to play running follow the leader, and by running I mean really fast around the cage leaping and jumping over their food salad dish.

Benny and Billy do this all the time and I'm sure there's an element of dominance going on here. The pattern tends to be Bobby will be sitting there eating a pile of hay and Benny comes up to him, rumbling, nose rearing and doing that thing with his back end. Seconds later, over runs Billy, who chases Benny really fast several times around the cage.

At first I thought it was bullying but this is not the case because Benny and Billy will then both popcorn, go to the hay pile and eat together before Bobby returns, pokes Billy in the butt with his nose, Billy runs away followed by Bobby, Bobby popcorns, then Billy and Bobby will both sit eating hay together. Then Benny rumble struts at Bobby and the whole process begins again. It's almost like Billy is being Bobby's minder or something - it's really strange and amusing to watch!

R.J. Messier

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all,

so Simonmaal do you think that this is a good or a bad thing??

is popcorning bad or good. :?:

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
They popcorn when they are happy, so it's a very good thing!:D

pennykit&amanda

Cavy Slave
When they bite it, I mean they put their mouths around it. Doesn't really look like playing. I know what playing looks like, my rabbit bites hers and pulls, and it hits the side of the cage (really hard). Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.
Does Anyone Else's Cavy Do This?

Shadows_Gold

Cavy Slave
Mine pull on it too. Then pop it back. So I think they are just playing with it.

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
When guineas pig popcorn, they are jumping for joy. It is an expression of happiness, a good thing! It is also one of the most satisfying things to me as a piggie slave to see them do this because it acts as feedback to me that I am doing something right.

It is lovely to come into their room on a morning and see them popcorn and run around looking for me as soon as they hear my voice (they scatter off into their hidey houses if I enter the room without speaking). So if your piggie is doing this, be happy! You are doing something right and your piggie's popcorning is a result of this!

Simonmaal

Cavy Slave
When they bite it, I mean they put their mouths around it. Doesn't really look like playing. I know what playing looks like, my rabbit bites hers and pulls, and it hits the side of the cage (really hard). Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

Billy makes a really loud noise and puts his mouth right around it (chewing it with his back teeth i presume). It's a normal thing for guinea pigs to do this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.