Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Do Introductions Often Fail?

mamattorney

Cavy Slave
A questions for those who do this a lot (rescue owners, volunteers, etc).

How often do introductions fail? My local rescue does not do "first meets" as the owner does not think they reflect what may happen two or three weeks down the road. What looks like an OK match doesn't sometimes doesn't end up that way.

I don't want to adopt a pig, quarantine her if necessary, introduce her to Marshmallow, and then have a more than large chance of having to return it to the rescue. It looks like the risk I have to take is either be prepared to return the pig or house her separately. I don't want TWO single pigs, nor do I want four pigs, so I think returning her would be the likely option. I've never returned an animal in my life and I feel morally uneasy about it. But nowhere I have checked does "trial adoptions".

How often do intros fail?

My Marshmallow was the submissive pig of the former pair and the pig I'm looking at is an approximately 1 year old female who has never lived with another pig so no one knows if she is dominant or submissive.

Your local rescue is right--the initial meet and greet doesn't always indicate how things will go once you get home.

Most rescues will take back a pig if things aren't working out, and let you try another pig. That's like a "trial adoption" in a way.

If the pig comes from a reputable rescue there's usually no need to quarantine.

How large is the cage?

The only failed intro I've had was with introducing three single girls to one another...one of the girls for some reason got really aggressive and after the failed intro she wasn't even able to be housed near other pigs..but after a spay she was like her self again. So I've have some rather good luck with intros.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you've got a good sized cage, and have planned out your intro properly.

I agree that a reputable rescue should let you "exchange" for another pig if it doesn't work out and a positive initial meeting is not a sure thing.

I would say that about 1/3 of our "dates" don't work out. Usually the males. We try to pr a neutered male and female if possible because those matches tend to be much easier. Two females are usually more successful than 2 males but there are always exceptions.

But if the 2 males are not going to work out, it's usually very obvious and clear signs are shown such as teeth baring, lunging, and major rumbling. We do not even try to make these work, we just move on to another "date."

A younger male paired with an older male is often a better match. I would never try to match 2 young males just because the odds are against them.

What do you mean by not matching 2 young males? How young? I have a sort of young guinea pig, he's about 10-11 months. I need to find another friend for him. he just lost his brother. Would you get a baby? or one around the same age? I am scared to introduce a new one, especially so soon after losing one. I successfully introduced a baby female to my other female pig, several years ago (they are both gone due to old age)

I agree that a reputable rescue should let you "exchange" for another pig if it doesn't work out and a positive initial meeting is not a sure thing.

I would say that about 1/3 of our "dates" don't work out. Usually the males. We try to pr a neutered male and female if possible because those matches tend to be much easier. Two females are usually more successful than 2 males but there are always exceptions.

But if the 2 males are not going to work out, it's usually very obvious and clear signs are shown such as teeth baring, lunging, and major rumbling. We do not even try to make these work, we just move on to another "date."

A younger male paired with an older male is often a better match. I would never try to match 2 young males just because the odds are against them.

@muddygrl
Honestly, I would try to find an older male-older than 1 yr to match with your current male.
A baby male might work out fine but "in general" older males tend to have better success with other males. BUT, each pig different and some just hit it off great no matter what the age or sex. Kind of like people ;)

However, if your pig is a dominant, it's good to tell that to whoever you are working with to find a match so they are aware because 2 dominants are likely to fight right off the bat.

I would echo @foggycreekcavy 's question - how large is the cage they were living in?

Also, where were introductions done? How long did you give them to determine they didn't get along?

I've had 11 males over the last 7 years and all my introductions went off with no problem so I wouldn't count out two males being a match as long as they cage is large enough. That can make a HUGE difference.

I didn't realize anyone had responded to this post - thank so much! I saw it fall off the top list of postings with no responses and never saw it come back up. Sorry about that. The 1 year old pig at my local animal control was adopted so she's out of the picture.

But I'm still looking. Right now, I'm in communication with a craigslist ad poster who has a baby girl (born 10/27) here: (broken link removed) and have briefly spoken to the same local rescue mentioned in my original post about one of their pigs: (broken link removed) and I also emailed the owner of this ad: https://www.guineapigzone.com/guinea-pigs-for-sale-adoption/3772-guinea-pig-for-adoption but haven't heard back from her.

I have a Midwest cage.

I m leaning towards the baby, but I'm just so unsure.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.