Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Do guinea pigs grieve?

Akiira

Cavy Slave
I had a bonded pair of boars. They're just over a year old and have been together for most of their lives. Yesterday one of them started acting odd (kind of lethargic, not very interested in food) so the plan was for him to go to the vet today. Unfortunately, he did not make it through the night. It was quite sudden, so I don't feel like there was anything else we could have done. So far the other piggy seems fine.
Over the past few hours I've been thinking about plans for him and I've decided I definitely don't want to leave him alone. So assuming whatever it was that Howl had wasn't contagious I will be looking for a new companion for Calcifer.

Mainly what I want to know is do guinea pigs grieve? Should I wait to get him a new companion or try to find one as soon as possible? Also, when introducing them could the fact that he's already lost a friend affect how he treats a new pig?

In addition, I already know the general stuff about introducing new pigs to each other, but if you have any other advice/tips on the subject I'd love to hear it. :)

(I know some people on GPC are very passionate about not getting petstore pigs. So I thought I'd just let you guys know that I've already decided to find a rescue in my area or another single male who needs a new home.)

I literally just had this happen a few days ago. I had a bonded pair, neutered male and a female. My male, who might I add my only pet store pig, suddenly became ill again. He has been sickly off and on since I got him a year ago. I rushed him to the vet and was prescribed meds and a strict schedule of syringe feeding and water. Sadly, he passed away the next day. Now, while there hasn't been a significant change in my female's behavior, I have noticed that she is coming out of her hidey less. She comes out to eat her veggies in the morning and at night. She nibbles on her pellets during the day and of course with only one piggy, I have to fill their hay less often. Now, this has only been 2 days but I believe she is grieving. I've already decided not to get another pet store pig as they just seem to be sickly little things. Probably due to the way they are bred and such. I have found 3 one week old piggies near me and am going to see them this weekend. I checked with 2 of the rescues close to me but they only had bonded pairs of females who had to be adopted together. I'm hoping that out of the 3 I found local, one is a female. I'm not so much worried about looks and coloring as I am it being a female for my female. I wanted a younger female to go with her anyways so that maybe it will be easier for them to bond as my female has had a litter of pups. I have 3 of her and the males boys. (which is the reason I got him neutered) I had got them as rescues from Facebook. A girl was keeping them in a tank together... a tank!!! I didn't know at the time they were male and female.
I'm curious to see what others have to say on this topic as well.

I've lost two pigs, and I feel that the remaining pig grieved, just in different ways. But the best thing was always bringing home another pig. Each pair was so different but all happy to have a buddy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far Calcifer seems fine. There is a guinea pig rescue a few hours away from me. I contacted them earlier today and they said they have a pregnant female right now. The babies will be available at the end of next month. Assuming there is a male, I will probably get one of them. From what I understand it is considerably easier to introduce two boars to each other if one (or both) of them is still young.
Is there anything special I need to keep in mind when introducing them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.