Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Dilemma on WHO to go to...

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
So, I need some advice, but first some background.

So, last week, I weighed the pigs, and my Girl Monkey had lost 1.5 ounces. I decided to keep an eye on her since she is usually at a steady weight of 2lb 8.5 ounces. I also noticed that 2 of my other female pigs (out of 4 other pigs) started picking on her more often, and I figured it was just because those 2 girls were in their estrus cycle (which they were). So today after floor time was up, I picked them all up one by one recording weight. Monkey was the last, and when I went to pick her up, I noticed the spot that she was laying in had wet bloody urine. So I picked her up right away, and went to the bathroom and dabbed her vagina with a kleenex to make sure that it was her, and it was. I weighed her, and she had lost 2 more ounces. I set up a hospital cage for her and put her in there (but placed it next to the C&C cage with the others). I know that if it's a UTI, it's not contagious, but the 2 girls were STILL picking on her, so I wanted to make sure that she would have access to her pellets, hay, and water without getting pushed out of the way (she's the least dominant). I hung up her new favorite blanket in the corner to make a tent, and she's on a white fleece so I can see her urine (even though I confirmed it was her). She's not stressed out being by herself, and been more relaxed, albeit more lethargic in the hospital cage, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

So, right now I'm doing what I can for her, and on Monday I plan on taking into the vet (the 2 options I have for her always gets me in same day, and I didn't notice the blood until after BOTH places closed for the weekend).

Here's my dilemma: I'm a college student who is home for the summer.

My parents want me to take her to THEIR vet. I've been to them before for ivermectim treatments during winter break when Bodie was discovered to have lice. The person was an exotic vet, and seemed fresh out of school. She's not as cavy savvy as my regular vet, and is TWICE as expensive. My mother said that when she gets home (she's helping out her mother who was admitted to the hospital in Wisconsin) on Monday, she'll PAY for the vet care if I take Monkey to her vet office. I just don't trust this vet office nearly as much as mine, and when I talked about them to my regular vet, he said some of their practices just didn't sound right. So I have the option of taking her to the local vet, or driving to my regular vet.

My regular vet, who I trust, and is more cavy savvy is in Janesville, Wisconsin. From where I am right now, that is an almost 2 hour drive. Since she is already ill, I know that traveling with her that far in a more fragile condition would really stress her out, and could even more damage to her. If I go to that vet, I'll be making the trip alone (which I'm fine with) and I will have to pay (which I'm willing to do). I have leftover medications from this vet (because he always gives me more than needed), so if they are still good (I don't know how long the shelf life is for them), I won't have to pay for meds either.

I am also responsible for my parents dog during the day since I'm the only one around right now (my father works all day, everyday and my mother is in Wisconsin until Monday afternoon), and I have to take care of my neighbors 2 ferrets starting tomorrow afternoon, which will take a few hours a day. I've talked to them about my situation, and they said that I can smudge the times when I go over there if I have to go to Wisconsin. But with so many animals relying on me, I'm a little amiss at what to do. Should I go to my regular vet in Wisconsin, or should I go to the local vet in Illinois?

Sorry this is so long, I just like to provide as much information as possible so those who give advice know the whole situation.

juliaaa

Cavy Slave
That is a very tough decision. Although your familiar vet is preferable, I would take her to the local exotic vet. I really think she needs to be seen ASAP and it seems like it would be extremely difficult for you to go to your regular vet. At least you may be able to get an idea of what's wrong with her and how to treat her if you go to the local vet. Good luck, keep us posted.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I would take her to the closer vet, but there's a twist. I would take contact information of the exotic vet you prefer with you. Possibly ask the local vet to have a phone conference with the more knowledgable cavy savy vet.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I would agree. Go to local vet but communicate with your prefered vet. My first inclination on what it might be is either kidney stones or overian cysts (I hope I spelled that right!). Those are the 2 most common things that would cause bloody pee. I would think the vet would order xrays and ultrasounds. You might want to look up these two conditions to find further information. And to see if she has any other symptoms... Good luck!

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Peggysu, that is something that I would never have thought of! Thank you!

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
My first inclination on what it might be is either kidney stones or overian cysts (I hope I spelled that right!). Those are the 2 most common things that would cause bloody pee. I would think the vet would order xrays and ultrasounds. You might want to look up these two conditions to find further information. And to see if she has any other symptoms... Good luck!

Instead of kidney stones, do you mean bladder stones? If she has bladder stones, she would likely to be in some kind of pain when passing either urine or feces, and she's not in pain when passing either (although it's a possibility). I have not heard of ovarian cysts causing bloody urine. The symptoms I know of are crusty nipples, hair loss, and behavioral changes (mounting when not in heat, acting more dominant). She most likely has a UTI.

I also forgot the mention in my first post that the blood in her urine is diluted, and not constant (to the naked eye). I will ask my parent's vet to spin down the urine to check for blood and/or look under the microscope to check for the presence of blood if I end up going to them. My regular vet already knows to do this.

Edited to Add: Sorry for the double post. I wanted to add this other information and too much time had past to edit the previous post.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If she has bladder stones, she would likely to be in some kind of pain when passing either urine or feces, and she's not in pain when passing either (although it's a possibility).
That she doesn't seem to be in pain doesn't mean she isn't. It could be a UTI, stones, sludge, or a combination. I think I'd ask for an xray just to be sure.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I figured that I should probably update this thread.

After talking it over with my parents, I decided to take her to their vet office. They were so against me driving all the way for Janesville (and in the words of my parents) "for just a guinea pig" that they offered to pay for the whole thing if I went to their vet (which is always helpful when you are a college student on a budget). Since I'm pretty sure that it's just a UTI, I agreed to do that. If it turns out be to something more serious like stones, where she needs them removed, I WILL be going to Janesville, WI then.

I called this morning to make an appointment, but since my mother couldn't get home until this afternoon, I had to make the appointment for tomorrow morning. So Monkey will be seeing the vet at 10:30am.

I also called my regular vet's office, but he is on vacation this week, so a phone conference is out of the question.

I believe Monkey will be fine until tomorrow morning. She is my most vocal girl, and vocalizes EVERYTHING. I still have her in the hospital cage (which is placed next to the C&C). She is eating and drinking well, and still wheeks for her vegetables in the morning and at night. I saw her popcorn last night and this afternoon as well. And, even though the grids of her cage and the C&C are touching, she shows no interest in the other pigs or the other cage, and she's not chewing on the grids, she doesn't seem stressed out about being in there. I am concerned that she may be a little lethargic, it's kind of hard to tell in the hospital cage though. I plan on giving floor time to all the pigs in a few hours, after I get back from my neighbor's house (they are out of town on vacation so I am babysitting their 2 ferrets, I am over there 3 to 3.5 hours a day and I make sure to wear different clothes when I go over there so the pigs don't come in contact with anything, and I wash my face/hands/arms after (the girl likes to lick my face)).

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
So I just got back from the vet. When I went this time, I saw a different vet (since 3 have an exotics background). He was very, very knowledgeable, and had a wonderful personality. When I mentioned guinealynx, he said that it's a wonderful website. He also asked me if I saw g-force, and if I planned on seeing it. When I said no, and went on and on about how it promotes breeding and gives out false information about guinea pigs, he also expressed how he was upset about it too! He told me that he is putting up the guinealynx flyers about g-force around the vet office and other areas. He went on to list so many things that were wrong with the movie, and expressed a huge concern for how children are going to treat the guinea pigs after seeing the movie since they are so fragile. He was really wonderful.

He did a very thorough exam on Monkey and didn't feel the need for an x-ray at this time, stating that in his experience when he feels around as thoroughly as he did around her bladder, kidneys, and uterus they usually some some sign of pain, and she didn't show any signs, he also said he didn't feel anything. He said just from physical exam, she appears to be in perfect health, but said, "we'll find out for sure from the urine sample." He went and got the results, and he said, everything was normal except that blood was found, and that she most likely in the early stages of a UTI. Since I brought my extra guinea pig meds with me, he calculated how much of Bactrim to give her (.65cc twice a day for 10 days), and told me that the meds have a shelf life of a year or 2. He reminded me to shake the bottle each time before giving her the meds, and make sure that she drinks plenty of water.

Total cost was $94.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Wow! Sounds like you lucked out. Now you don't have to worry about a cavy savy vet when you are home for the summer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.