Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Digging in bedding

LadyTwilyte

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig has a tendency to dig up her wood chip bedding to get to the newspaper on the bottom to eat it. How can I stop her from doing that?

Mine does that too I don't know how to stop him!

have you considered switching to fleece?

I was thinking of that. If its getting really annoying, then I suggest changing your bedding

Haha. I can't help but laugh because I totally understand. I can't stand the chewing of the newspaper sound! *Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip* *munch munch munch*
Fleece- I was using fleece for a long while but got fed up with them getting under it and eating the newspaper that I switched the aspen.
I use a thin layer of aspen and then cover it with hay, they seem too content with the hay to not even consider the newspaper as exciting. You could try that.

Newspaper will not hurt the pigs if they eat it if the print is soy-based ink. I line my girls litter box with newspaper and lately they eat it more than pee on it. Just make sure any newspaper put into the piggies cages are at least 2 days old as the fresh ink can upset their tummies.

I know it doesn't hurt them, but the noise drives me CRAZY. I can't sleep because all I can hear is the ripping noise *shudder*

I'm sorry piglet. Is your piggies cage in your bedroom?

I had the same problem with chewing of newpapers, drives me crazy. I have a blueprint copier at work and we have very very large bond paper. I took some home and put 2 sheets as a liner on top of the newpapers, so far it has worked as a charm. It keeps the newspapers flat down.

o0Ms Jenny0o said:
Fleece- I was using fleece for a long while but got fed up with them getting under it and eating the newspaper that I switched the aspen.
I use a thin layer of aspen and then cover it with hay, they seem too content with the hay to not even consider the newspaper as exciting. You could try that.
There are ways to use fleece without newspaper. You could take cotton batting towels and fleece and make a little blanket thing. It's heavier so it stays down very well.

Yup, its in my bedroom

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.